Homemade Ranch Dip

by lydia on April 29, 2010

Homemade Ranch Dip is one of the easiest recipes you could make in place of store-bought. I think it tastes a whole lot better too. This way you are ensuring getting the best quality dairy and adding ingredients that nourish the body.

I always have veggies on hand for snacks for the boys, sometimes more than others, but carrots are a guarantee. Since, we need good fats to absorb our nutrients, namely minerals and keep satiated, I prefer to always have some dip on hand. This homemade ranch dip is one of my kid’s favorites, plus it’s easy to make.

Homemade Ranch Dip

Homemade Ranch Dip
Author:
Recipe type: Dip

• 2½ Tbsp. onion powder
  • ½ tsp. garlic powder
  • 3 tsp. parsley flakes
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (non-GMO strain of yeast, fed on molasses, and processed at low temperatures without chemicals)
  • Pinch of kelp (optional, if omitting this you may want to add a touch more salt)
  • Pinch of dulse (optional, if omitting this you may want to add a touch more salt)
  • 16 oz. of homemade sour cream or creme fraiche, organic grass-fed, or cultured sour cream
  1. Mix seasonings together in a bowl with sour cream.
  2. Place in fridge to let flavors meld together at least 30 minutes.
  3. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.

THE GRAIN FREE LUNCH BOX!

(Make packing healthy school lunches stress-free with this guide)

Grain-Free-Lunch-Box-Cover-194x300

Patty May 31, 2010 at 12:39 pm

What brand of nutritional yeast do you use? I would like to get some…I think…However, it seems a bit scary like I could easily buy something that would actually be bad for us. Thoughts?

lydia May 31, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Here's a linkhttp://sundancenaturalfoods.com/factsNutritionalYeast.htmI'll look into it further and see if I can find some on Amazon too. I bought some at my coop, but do not know the brand name.

lydia June 14, 2010 at 1:33 am

The brand is Red Star!! 😉

Janelle February 2, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I have been researching dairy products and how they proces them, and I found out most sour cream in the store is homogenized to give it more body, even yogurt is homogenized! I used to love Organic Stonyfield Farms cream on top yogurt.. well it says on the carton they decided to “stir it back in” that means they homogenize it so the cream doesn’t migrate to the top. Yuck! that is why i avoid conventional dairy but it seems all dairy now is processed. I would say only use raw sour cream, or real creme fraiche.

Adrienne @ Whole New Mom January 26, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I worked on a ranch mix recently so I’ll have to try yours as well! Thanks! Looking fwd to the post on nutritional yeast as well!

Adrienne @ Whole New Mom January 26, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Just read it – so you feel good about Red Star? I think I’ve read something pretty negative about them recently. I’m not too familiar about the other brands but I did see Braggs out there.

Thanks!

lydia January 26, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I am currently using Now’s Nutritional Yeast which is also made by Red Star. It’s important to know what the yeast is fed on – in case of any food allergies etc. This is fed on beet molasses. I am good with that. I don’t know a ton about it, still learning!

Sharon @ Parents of a Dozen June 30, 2012 at 6:53 am

I will have to try this. My children like ranch and I have not found a recipe I like.

Debra E August 15, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Lydia, I made this a few weeks back as a salad dressing for me and my girls. They promptly rejected it! (I loved it!). I was so disappointed and wanting to make a healthful salad dressing. The other day one asked for carrots and I asked her if she would like to make a dip for her carrots. She and her sister got excited and helped me make this same recipe (I didn’t tell them it was the same) and they loved it! Since they liked it so much I suggested that this would also be great as a salad dressing. They are not so sure but I think are willing to give it a try next time we have salad. How amazingly simple to have them get involved! I tend to be a “It’ll be faster if I do it myself” kind of mom so this was a great lesson for me and they are eating something good for them!

lydia August 15, 2013 at 9:22 pm

That’s awesome Debra (Amy)!

Tina March 3, 2014 at 10:46 am

This dip was really really good! We loved it! I’m wondering what your suggestions would be if I wanted to make this dip into a pourable dressing?

lydia March 3, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Tina, try cutting the sour cream in half and use the other half in olive oil. Play around with the ratios depending on how thick or thin you want it. I might even just use a basic vinaigrette with the seasonings called for here then add sour cream to get the desired consistency. I haven’t tried it myself yet…

Glad you enjoyed the dip!

Tina March 3, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Thanks for the great suggestion. I’m eager to give it a try!

{ 2 trackbacks }