How to Get Rid of Warts

by lydia on June 24, 2010

About a month back one of my children discovered he had some funny dots on his toes, that I identified as warts.  At first they were very tiny whitish yellow dots that eventually spread and grew and looked like he was growing cauliflower on his toes. Initially, I just cleaned the wart with raw apple cider vinegar, and quite honestly forgot about it, until he would complain about it. When it started to grow and spread is when I got serious about paying more attention to it. So every night I bandaged them up with vinegar or tea tree oil. It wasn’t until I started using the tea tree oil that I noticed it was actually working, because the white bumps started to dry up. I wasn’t quite sure what the bumps were, so I looked it up and believe they were plantars warts. I did have a doctor confirm this as well and when I told her I was treating it with apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil, she agreed that the tea tree oil should work. And thankfully it did! The warts hardened up and then fell off. I also think perhaps my son picked at them a bit, but I am happy to say they are gone. Now his skin just needs to heal up. I don’t know what caused the warts, but my theory is that he would often wear his sneakers without socks and therefore the warts appeared. I just wanted to share my little victory in the hopes that it will save someone else all the agony of trying to remove warts by freezing, burning and paying big bucks. This only cost me a bunch of bandaids, the bottle of tea tree oil, some time and tender loving care.

**UPDATE** As of Ocotber 2010, my son’s foot is totally normal, with no scarring or re-occuring warts to speak of.

I am contributing this post as a part of ‘Fight Back Fridays‘, over at Food Renegade.

Jamie June 24, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Reagan had a HUGE plantar wart once. PRAYER works, too. :)

Lydia June 24, 2010 at 5:45 pm

True, true, true!!! :)

Cindy (FarmgirlCyn) June 24, 2010 at 6:11 pm

No kidding???? I will have to remember this! So…anyone have a remedy for yeasties under the breasts? Any time it gets hot out I break out in stinky yeast rashes. Burns bad. I have been reduced to putting on athletes foot cream and that takes care of it. But…I know the yeaasties are just hangin’ around waiting to come out on a hot day.

Phil June 24, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Good job Lyds…I’ll have to remember that for any fatherhood days future. I’ve outgrown sweaty sockless feet in trainers ;)

Lydia June 24, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Cindy ~ that sounds most unpleasant!! Are you wanting something to prevent it, or how to deal with it once you have it? I guess wear a cotton bra, maybe put a little Gold Bond powder in there too, ha!! As for treating it, maybe some coconut oil or aloe on the rash area when you sleep. Who knows maybe someone will have some ideas for you, hope so!!

Christy June 26, 2010 at 12:45 am

Amazing. I need to remember this for then next wart that comes our way.

Diana June 26, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Tea tree is so great for so many things! I use it on my athlete’s foot too! (So maybe try that, Cindy?) Did he step on anything? I got a huge plantar’s wart on my foot when I was a kid by stepping on a thorn!

elaine August 31, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Cindy~ I used to have that problem and found that two things really helped – one was to get fitted with a really good bra that helped me to be “high and lifted up” shall we say :) and the other thing I discovered that really helped was taking some of the tea tree shampoo that I was using and use it as soap in the affected area. I’d be real careful of powders, etc. as sometimes they can actually feed yeast. Hope this helps!

Cindy (FarmgirlCyn) August 31, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I have a pretty good bra, but….I have pretty large breasts. No matter what I do, they still droop! Some of that comes with age (57) but mostly it’s cause they’re on the large side! I would hesitate to put tea tree oil on it (as Diana suggested) as I think it would burn like the dickens.
I DO have tea tree shampoo tho. I will try that and see what happens.
I also use my own homemade “Farmhouse Fresh, Pure” soap, so I am not irritating it with fragrances or deodorants.

lydia August 31, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Cindy, do you have a recipe for your homemade soap?

elaine August 31, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Cindy~ I hear ya – I’m on the (very) well-endowed side of life (and 50ish) so gravity has done it’s work on me too :) I went to a specialty shop and got professionally fitted and for the first time since my first baby I went back into an underwire bra. I was so chaffed that I was practically bleeding and the itching was almost unbearable so the underwire was a small price to pay. The shop where I now get my bras does a European sizing and they really fit! There is no more drooping — nothing touches!! (An added bonus to this is my clothes fit so much better now) Obviously, this didn’t come cheap – but it was sooo worth it to get rid of the yeasty rash. I would also be afraid of pure tea tree – that could send you to the moon! The shampoo caused some tingling but wasn’t painful at all – hopefully that will work for you. The brand I used was Giovanni organic and it was called “Triple Treat” or something like that (it had tea tree in it). Good luck!

Zachary I. Pitts June 8, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Great post thanks!

Yolando Lons March 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm

When home treatments fail to work as they often do, one can always turn to your medical practitioner for assist. Large exterior hpv genital warts can be removed surgically. Topical applications of certain medicated creams are advised for warts in much more delicate regions where surgical procedure cannot be performed.There are various techniques that could be tried to get rid of hpv genital warts. Nevertheless, opting for therapy by a licensed health-related practitioner is the most practical way of achieving this objective.

Ardena Newton December 30, 2012 at 3:06 pm

What brand of tea tree oil did you use? I haven’t had that good of luck with tea tree oil and thinking maybe the brand I used. Would like to know what good brands are out there.

lydia December 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Ardena – I believe I had Melaleuca brand tea tree oil at the time – now I use Be Young Essential Oils…….they are excellent. I’ll see if I can get the link up in a little bit.

Tori March 7, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Lydia, about how long did this take to clear up the problem?

lydia March 7, 2013 at 8:57 pm

A good week and then awhile for the scar to heal.