Smoky Peach Salsa (Lacto-fermented)

by lydia on July 24, 2010

I have wanted to try my hand at a smoky peach salsa for some time now, and I finally got around to it now that peaches are in season. I have always loved this particular smoky peach salsa from Trader Joe’s and I really want to re-create it into a lacto-fermented version. And I am happy to say I have done so successfully!!

Smoky Peach Salsa

4 peaches

1 large tomato

14 oz. organic tomato puree

2 small onions

Juice of 2 lemons

4 tablespoons of whey

1 tablespoon sea salt

fresh cilantro, minced (as much, or as little as you like – I used about a handful)

oregano, preferably fresh

1/4 – 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (depending on how hot you like it, a little goes a long way.)

Peel and pit the peaches and dice. Dice the tomato, and the onions as well. In a bowl mix together chopped onions, tomatoes, and peaches with the tomato puree, lemon juice, whey, salt, minced cilantro, minced oregano and chipotle powder. Spoon the mixture into one quart jar and 1 pint jar. Seal tightly and sit on the counter for 2-3 days before moving to cold storage. If you have ceramic weights they would be good to use with this recipe. Check jars to make sure the veggies are submerged under the liquid. I had one jar go bad very quickly on me, so be sure to check it frequently.

Hopefully one of these days I will be getting around to making some pulled pork tacos to serve with this yummy salsa~!!!

I am contributing this post to ‘Two For Tuesday’s’ blog hop carnival!!

girlichef July 27, 2010 at 1:05 pm

mmmmm, this sounds great! What gives it the smokey quality?? I bet it would be fabulous with some pulled pork! Thanks so much for sharing with Two for Tuesdays!

Lydia July 27, 2010 at 2:16 pm

why it’s the chipotle powder that gives it a smokey flavor!! ;)

butterpoweredbike July 27, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Chipotles are just magical, aren’t they. This sounds so good, and it’s the perfect recipe for me, because I’ll be up to my ears in both peaches and tomatoes here shortly. Thank you for sharing at Two for Tuesday, we love to see lf recipes!

girlichef July 27, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Duh!! Sheesh, I even looked back over the recipe and missed it the second time. Sorry, sometimes it takes me a while. …and I adore chipotles…oi. Even better now that I’m comprehending…thanks Lydia!! ;)

Lydia July 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Ha, no worries and no need to be sorry of course……………..I adore chipotles too!! Thanks for stopping by!!

Diana@Spain in Iowa July 27, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Oh yum! What a great ferment! I’ll definitely try this as soon as I can get my hands on some peaches!! Thanks so much for sharing this on Two for Tuesdays :D

Kim July 27, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I also love peach salsa…on everything! Looks delicious.

alex@amoderatelife July 28, 2010 at 2:05 am

I too am a devoted user of the peachy salsa from Trader Joe’s so I will be on the lookout for some nice peaches to try this. I really like to lactoferment as well! Thanks for sharing this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) alex@amoderatelife

Kat August 22, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I’ve never fermented, so please excuse my ignorance, but is the whey liquid from yogurt, or the powdered whey? I’ve seen Trader Joe’s advertised in magazines, wish there were such places where I live.

Lydia August 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Hi Kat!! Yes, you can get whey drained off of a good quality organic plain yogurt. Just place the yogurt in a cheesecloth lined strainer over a bowl for several hours. The whey will be in the bowl and you can use it to make lacto-fermented foods with. and your remaining yogurt will be quite thick and wonderful!!
I do love Trader Joe’s, but at least you can make this at home!! Thanks for stopping by!!

Susan Ideus August 22, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I know I could google this, but could you explain why you use lacto-fermentation? I honestly have never heard of it. Thanks!

Lydia August 23, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Hi Susan!!

The process of lacto-fermentation (naturally pickling/culturing) draws upon the naturally occurring lactic acid available in fruits and vegetables – and this inhibits putrefying bacteria. In fact fermenting veggies encourages the growth of GOOD bacteria. I use this process because it is simple, natural and the most nutritious way to preserve my fruits and vegetables. If you look at cultures around the world and their traditions you will find a variety of fermented foods – it is an age old practice, one that really should be re-established in our culture today!!

Deb Kincaid August 22, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Sounds luscious! Where do I buy ceramic weights?

valerie August 25, 2010 at 9:40 am

Looks great, but can I use a vegetable culture started like that from Body Ecology instead of whey for a starter?

lydiajoy August 25, 2010 at 9:58 am

Hi Valerie!

You sure could use a vegetable starter, just check with the company on how much to use instead of the whey. Or you can just use salt.

valerie August 25, 2010 at 9:41 am

one more question, should I, could I, use my Harsch Fermentation Crock to make this?

lydiajoy August 25, 2010 at 10:00 am

I am not familiar AT ALL with the fermentation crock so I don’t know how to advise you. If you have made salsa in it successfully before, I’d say you could do this recipe as well!!

Michelle August 26, 2010 at 1:03 am

Ceramic weights? Is that something to keep the veggies submerged?

Beth August 26, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Question for the Peach salsa: Is tomato paste the same as tomato puree?? I can’t wait to make this, and plan to make it today.

P.S. for several readers, lacto-fermentation actually increases the nutrition in vegetables in a big way. For example, the vitamin C in cabbage increases TENFOLD. Plus you get all those beneficial enzymes and probioticsv that aren’t there in the plain, raw form. The Weston Price folks call it “super raw” food. It’s easier than it sounds, and you’ll be hooked especially after you’ve tried it once or twice.
You can take a few minutes to check these out for more info and inspiring ideas:

AND

Beth August 26, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I just found a possible answer that paste is more concentrated than puree, so if you use paste, use half the amount called for and add water to make up the difference. Sounds good for this recipe so as not to drown out the peach flavor. So 7 oz jar of tomato paste plus 7 oz water for the peach salsa. Okay, here I go to make it!

Beth August 26, 2010 at 2:44 pm

OMG, run, don’t walk to make this! It’s fabulous even before putting up to ferment.

lydiajoy August 26, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Hi Beth!!

Glad you figured out the tomato paste conundrum ;) I use tomato paste thinned out to make pizza sauce quite often, it’s a great way to go!
Enjoy your salsa!! :)

lydiajoy August 26, 2010 at 4:40 pm

For those wondering about ceramic weights, here are a few other options as well. You could use ceramic pie weights in a plastic bag to weight down the veggies. Additionally, you can get an airlock for your jars. Here is one;

lydiajoy August 27, 2010 at 10:56 am

Here are some more ceramic weights for purchase!

MeatHub Inc. October 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm

This peach salsa looks absolutely amazing! I must try this! :D

Dallas August 21, 2011 at 12:22 pm

We’re dairy free and I’m psyching myself up to try our first fermenting. How much salt would you substitute for the whey? Thanks!

Emily September 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm

This may be a dumb question, but when you say “check” them do you mean to open them and look inside? Also, how do I know when they are done fermenting? Mine have been out for about 3 days, but I am not sure how to know if I did this right? Sorry…major newbie here. Please help!

lydia September 21, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Yes, open it and look to make sure that it’s not gonna explode as well as to see that all the chunks are submerged under liquid. I never ferment fruit for long – 3 days is plenty, go ahead and put it in the fridge.