Asian-Infused Lettuce Wraps

by lydia on August 3, 2010

Lettuce wraps, the fun and enjoyable way to eat your dinner in the summer. Grab some fresh crispy lettuce leaves and fill them up with ground meat-infused with Asian flavors and veggies. You’ve got yourself a restaurant worthy meal at a fraction of the cost!

Ever since I tried P.F Chang’s lettuce wraps, umpteen years ago, I could not get them off my mind. I also didn’t want to have to only ever enjoy them once in a blue moon, so I decided to come up with my own version, with a twist of course.

These lettuce wraps boast of some rockin’ flavor and high-quality ingredients, using grass-fed beef and organic fresh vegetables. Paired with homemade or store-bought kimchi you’ve got yourself a match made in heaven. You just can’t go wrong with lettuce wraps, and if you are trying to cut back on excess starchy foods, this should be your go-to summer dish!

Asian Lettuce Wraps

Asian-Infused Lettuce Wraps
Author:
Recipe type: Main Dish
Cuisine: Asian

• 1 pound grass fed ground beef or bison
  • ¼ pound of grass fed liver, pureed (optional)
  • 1 head of leaf lettuce, bibb or butter lettuce
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger
  • 1 lime, juiced and zested
  • 1 teaspoon red chili paste, or more to taste
  • 2-3 scallions, minced
  • ¼ cup minced cilantro
  • Splash of rice wine vinegar
  • Splash of naturally fermented gluten-free tamari or shoyu (soy sauce)
  • Salt to taste
  1. Heat a skillet with a bit of bacon grease, lard or coconut oil.
  2. Add the ground beef and cook on medium.
  3. Add the garlic, ginger, zest and lime juice, scallion, cilantro, chili paste, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce.
  4. Stir well until the meat is cooked through.
  5. Remove from heat and place in a serving bowl.
  6. Rinse the head of lettuce and dry well.
  7. Place the clean leaves individually on a plate.
  8. Serve alongside the meat - scoop meat onto lettuce and wrap, roll or fold and enjoy!!

This dish is a huge hit with my kids! They gobble it right up and beg me to make it! It’s a very light dinner actually, one that may require a nice dessert to fill you all the way up! They like my Asian Lettuce Wraps so much that when they see me with  lettuce, they ask if it’s for lettuce wraps. Cha Ching!

I serve this with Kimchi and a sweet and spicy cucumber salad. I also often serve with fresh fruit or mango smoothies for dessert!

Meal Planning Help

If you’re interested in using a meal planning service, I highly recommend Real Plans.  Real Plans is a meal planning service that you can join (monthly or annually) and have access to their amazing database of recipes. Each week, they map out a meal plan for 5 breakfasts and 6 dinners and some extras to have on hand. It’s very customizable and user-friendly.

Real-Plans-Banner-Medium

Butterpoweredbike August 3, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I always forget about wrapping things up in lettuce. Food can be so much more fun when you can pick it up. Thank you for serving it up with a side of kimchi at Two for Tuesday.

Red Delicious August 3, 2010 at 6:31 pm

I do love a good lettuce wrap and that filling looks lovely. And I could put kimchi on ANYTHING!!! I absolutely adore it. I made kimchi sushi once and nearly croaked from happiness.

alex@amoderatelife August 3, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Oh ya baby! this is one of my favorite dishes to get at our great chinese restaurant! So light and delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

Lydia August 3, 2010 at 9:07 pm

@ Alex and BPB – You’re welcome – thanks for hosting!!!

@ Red Delicious ~ you had me giggling, ‘croaking from happiness’, but I SO know what you mean! 😉

Christy August 4, 2010 at 10:31 am

I love love love these – I always order them at PF Changs – I am excited to try this at home. Thanks for linking to Two for Tuesdays.

girlichef August 4, 2010 at 11:55 am

Oh my gosh…these sound sooooo great!! You’re right…my kids would totally devour these (me too). I may just have to make some this weekend….I’m so glad you shared these with Two for Tuesdays this week! :)

Lydia August 5, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Sure thing Christy – mine are a bit different from PF Changs, hope you enjoy!!

Lydia August 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm

@ Girlichef – I love your enthusiasm!! 😉

Bethany August 5, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I love anything with ginger and cilantro! These sound absolutely wonderful! The perfect summer time meal! I make a pretty boring lettuce wrap most of the time (although I like it) – I think next time I’m going to have to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing it at Two for Tuesdays!

Lydia August 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Sure thing Bethany!! 😉

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy August 7, 2010 at 2:22 pm

These look awesome! I make similar wraps with ground turkey! Thanks!

Beth September 27, 2010 at 6:29 am

Have you tried this with pork? I have some pasture-raised ground pork and this sounds like a fantastic way to use it.

lydia September 27, 2010 at 7:11 am

Beth, I have not simply because I can’t get good pork at this time – I am sure it would be equally as good!!!

Josh September 13, 2016 at 12:26 am

Do you add the liver purée with the beef or after the beef has cooked with the other ingredients?

lydia September 13, 2016 at 6:55 am

I try to add it in toward the end of the cooking time if I can so it’s not overcooked.

{ 1 trackback }