Chewy Chocolate Freezer Fudge or Chocolate Nut Butter Brownies

by lydia on August 30, 2010

This recipe comes to you from ‘Raw Food, Real World‘ by Matthew Kenney and Sarma Melngallis. I got into raw foods for a brief time several years back, entertaining the idea of going all the way with it for oh, about a week. I did however learn a ton from this book as the authors have an amazing culinary background that really shines through in their recipes. This particular recipe recently struck me, as I have been seeing recipes for nut butter brownies flying around the web. I realized that this recipe for freezer fudge could easily be turned into brownies by simply adding an egg or two and I was right. I love it when that happens!!

chewy chocolate freezer fudge

Chewy Chocolate Freezer Fudge

Ingredients:

• 2 cups of nut butter, any kind you like
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup maple syrup, or raw honey
  • 1 heaping tablespoon coconut butter or butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, or fine sea salt (whichever you prefer)

Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, combine the ingredients stirring well. Spoon the mixture into an 8x8 square baking pan lined with parchment paper. Or alternatively you could fill candy molds with the mixture (if you are feeling adventurous). Place some parchment on top of the mixture to press it down evenly. Place in the freezer, remove after an hour or so, flip it out of the pan onto a flat surface and cut into squares. Then store in a container and return to the freezer. The nice thing about this fudge is it's only ever so slightly sweetened and you really can't eat too much of it, just one piece will satisfy a craving!
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Chocolate Nut Butter Brownies

Ingredients:

• 1 recipe Chewy Chocolate Freezer Fudge (prior to freezing)
  • 2 eggs
  • Active prep - 5 minutes each recipe
  • Total time - 35 minutes

Instructions:

1. Mix all ingredients together, place in a buttered 8x8 inch baking pan and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 mintues.
  2. Remove from oven, let cool 5 minutes. That's it!!!
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

This post contributed to Two for Tuesdays Blog Carnival.

Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon?  There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!
X is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to (“your website name” (amazon.com, or endless.com, MYHABIT.com, SmallParts.com, or AmazonWireless.com). – See more at: http://marketingwithsara.com/amazon/warning-to-all-affiliate-marketers#sthash.c4sJDHh6.dpuf

Lydia - Color - December 2013Lydia Joy Shatney is a certified Nutritional Therapist Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association. Additionally, she is the chapter leader for the Weston A. Price Foundation in Delaware County, Pa. (Find the group here on Facebook). Lydia is also a member of the Nourished Living Network. Lydia founded Divine Health From The Inside Out in March of 2010. You can find Lydia on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. Sign up for the Divine Health From The Inside Out newsletter! Pick up a copy of Lydia’s eBook; ‘Divine Dinners: Gluten-Free, Nourishing, Family-Friendly Meals’.

Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Lydia also offers 3 online courses: Heal Your Gut, Revitalize Your Health and A Calm Mind. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!

jean finch August 30, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Wow the brownies sound fantastic! I will wait to make them in the morning when I can have the caffine without a sleeping problem! You are amazing, thanks!
Jean

Christy August 31, 2010 at 4:06 pm

LOL I did raw for about a week (maybe less) but I have some great recipes from that time – I love how you converted this to a fabulous cooked treat! Thanks for linking this to Two for Tuesdays.

lydia August 31, 2010 at 8:57 pm

There is something so deceivingly alluring about raw food isn’t there, but who could ever live that way ALL the time!! Anyway, thanks for hosting and stopping by Christy!!

alex@amoderatelife August 31, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Lydie, I am so laughing you sneaky girl! You KNEW i was a raw vegan! lol…seriously, I have spent plenty of time down at Matt and Sarma’s old digs pure food and wine and heirloom was always more raw and awesome. Alas, raw food is not a full lifetime decision as I got sicker than sick after about 6 months and had to listen to my body and transition to a more real food protocol, which i am so happy with. Yes, i have had this recipe quite a few times, and YES, i always thought, it would be GREAT if this was a brownie! LOL i am so gonna dig out my copy of this cookbook cause of course i have it–and make it with the eggs and baking! Thanks for sharing on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop. Hugs! Alex@amoderatelife

lydia August 31, 2010 at 8:56 pm

ALEX!!!!!
So funny!! I almost, almost made it to NY to that restaurant – at the time, I just HAD to go!! Oh well ;)
I even have Matthew Kenney’s ‘solo’ raw food book, after he and Sarma split ways :( It’s some seriously beautiful food, and some of it is actually practical ;)
Yes, try the brownies – so simply delightful!!

Butterpoweredbike August 31, 2010 at 5:33 pm

This is a familiar recipe to me. I, too, used to be a raw vegan. It didn’t work for my body, either, but I sure did take away some tasty recipes that I (don’t) cook to this day. Thanks for sharing this recipe with Two for Tuesday.

lydia August 31, 2010 at 8:54 pm

BPB ~ I still carry many wonderful tricks and tips from my brief time in the raw food world (that wasn’t realistic AT ALL!!) ;)

girlichef August 31, 2010 at 6:36 pm

omg, YUM!!! I want a whole pan =) Awesome share for t4t this week =)

Couscous & Consciousness August 31, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I have only ever “flirted with the idea” of raw food – my resolve has never lasted beyond a couple of hours. I so need to try this freezer fudge though – that is totally my kind of thing. Thanks.
Sue

lydia August 31, 2010 at 8:52 pm

After the flirting it doesn’t seem like it will be a relationship worth keeping ‘eh – lol!! Thanks for stopping by Sue!! Enjoy some fudge!!

Stephanie O. September 5, 2010 at 11:08 am

These were a hit in my house. One question though…why coarse sea salt. It didn’t dissolve so we just have cruncy way too salty spots in the fudge. Next time I’ll be using fine sea salt.

lydia September 5, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Glad you liked them Stephanie!! By all means use whatever form of salt you prefer, the coarse salt is so you can taste it like you said and it’s kind of a more ‘trendy’ way these days I suppose. I actually like the crunchy salt flecks, but it’s not for everyone. I think I shall amend my recipe, thanks for mentioning it!! :)

Chickiepea September 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm

YUM. This sounds like a very do-able brownie recipe for us. I am putting this on the (short) list of things to make for my daughter’s upcoming b-day party! <3 Thanks for sharing!

Jeanie Delprincipe September 21, 2010 at 9:54 am

Hey, this is my first comment on ur site. I’ve been reading it for a while in my RSS reader but haven’t commented before. :) Anyways, thanks for the post.

Charlotte Travis October 23, 2010 at 9:43 pm

A holistic nurse practitioner that my husband and I go to in NH gave us this recipe. I made the fudge and loved it, but I froze it on waxed paper, and it is difficult to remove it when it’s frozen. Should I have freeze it in a pan without covering it with waxed paper? Also I was so glad to find this website and see that brownies could be made by just adding eggs, because I was thinking what do I need to add to be able to bake with it.
I’ve been doing some raw for many years, but not completely because the good recipes take too much time to make.I make green smoothies in my Vitamix daily.
October 23,2010

lydia December 3, 2010 at 8:56 am

Great to have you here Jeanie!! (even if I am commenting over 2 months later ;) )

@ Charlotte – I only use parchment paper in my kitchen cause I don’t like the idea of wax getting on my food. I had no problems with it sticking!! Glad you stopped by!!!