How To Make Buttermilk Dressing

by lydia on August 19, 2010

I love buttermilk in all it’s tangy creamy goodness! I wanted to come up with a simple dressing to feature this lovely but undervalued cultured dairy product. I used to love to eat soup and sandwiches, this urge usually comes on every fall. I truly enjoy a B.L.T salad with a creamy buttermilk dressing to compliment my fabulous Broccoli Cheddar Soup, in place of my typical B.L.T sandwich.

Buttermilk should be purchased cultured or made at home. I have a hard time finding just purely cultured buttermilk without other stuff I don’t want added, not to mention it’s often times made with some type of part skim milk. Cultured buttermilk is teeming with enzymes and is high in potassium, calcium, vitamin B12, and riboflavin. Research has shown that regular consumption of cultured dairy products lowers cholesterol and protects against bone loss. In addition, cultured dairy products provide beneficial bacteria and lactic acid to the digestive tract.

I finally got a buttermilk starter to make my own buttermilk at home. It’s super simple to make, just add the starter to fresh raw milk and let it sit for 12-18 hours until it is ready. Whallah!! You can make buttermilk out of fresh milk and a buttermilk culture or by letting a quart of cream  sour and then making butter out of it, the liquid remaining is buttermilk. I would definitely recommend getting your hands on a culture to make your own, as it can be difficult to find quality buttermilk at the store. Who wants low-fat buttermilk anyway? (see where I purchased my culture here.)

Bowl Of Greens And A Jug Of Salad Dressing

Buttermilk Dressing

• Buttermilk Dressing
  • ⅔ cup of buttermilk (cultured or homemade)
  • 1-2 Tbsp. bacon fat, at room temperature so it's liquid
  • 1 scallion, minced (or equivalent amount of chives)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Just mix all the ingredients together well and serve. This paired nicely with my B.L.T. salad, and will keep well in the fridge for awhile. The bacon fat gives it an extra layer of flavor that you are just gonna love!

For more posts like this, check out the rest of the series;

rf-cookbook-banner-600x400

Stephanie O. September 2, 2010 at 12:46 pm

OK, so I’m pretty sure that store bought bacon is full of chemicals (like liquid smoke!!) and other harmful things. What kind of bacon makes a bacon fat that is safe to consume??

lydia September 2, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Bacon from (soy-free) from animals allowed to graze, processed with minimal additives (preferably no nitrates/nitrites) and without MSG (or any products containing hydrolyzed protein, citric acid, “spices”, or “natural flavors” usually contain MSG)

Try your local farmer’s market for excellent quality bacon, ask them how they raise their animals. US Wellness Meats, Grazin’ Acres, Northstar, Surry Farms, Uncured Natural Meats are all great places to purchase bacon – just google each name.
Also good store bought options are;
Applegate Farms, Neuske’s, Niman Ranch, and believe it or not, Oscar Meyer Natural smoked uncured bacon. Also Trader Joe’s has a few pretty decent options to choose from.

Hope that helps!! 😉

Stephanie O. September 2, 2010 at 7:46 pm

There is a local farmer who sells naturally smoked bacon. Is smoked the same as cured? I’d have to ask them ingredients because that’s all the label says.

I live in Atlantic Canada so most of those brands you listed I’ve never heard of. I wish we had Trader Joes here, or at least something similar. Any Canadians out there with information on good sources for real food??

lydia September 2, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I do know a few Atlantic Canadians I could ask. But let me ask you this, are you familiar with the Weston A. Price Foundation? They have this wonderful little shopping guide and they have one solely for Canada. The guides are only $1. Currently their ordering by web capability is down, but you can mail order through this form if you are interested;

Additionally you could contact a Weston A. Price chapter leader in your area, who will know best where to find the best quality of anything you want. Here is a link for the chapter leaders;

Hopefully, that will get you started – I am still on a quest for the BEST quality bacon I can find, I am however happy with the one I have for now. Good luck!!

lydia September 2, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Oh, and smoked and cured are not the same. Typically the meat is cured first and then smoked, but not always smoked. Naturally smoked is fine.

Steaks@MeatHub Inc. December 13, 2010 at 11:57 am

This buttermilk dressing sounds simple and delicious, and sometimes that’s all it takes. 😀

Suzanne August 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Here’s another source for buttermilk starter in case anyone needs it. You have to put your name on a waiting list. I just did.