Broccoli Cheddar Soup

by lydia on September 28, 2010

I liken a good warm bowl of broccoli cheddar soup to curling up in a warm blanket by a fire and getting cozy. It’s just plain old comfort food, simple as that. My fondest memory of broccoli cheddar soup most certainly comes from Ruby Tuesdays and their soup and salad bar back when I was in my early 20’s. I remember it being so thick and creamy and loaded with cheese. I simple couldn’t get enough of it. It’s been awhile since I’ve had a good bowl of it, but the memory of it floated back into my mind and I just had to recreate it. So here it is, my more nourishing version of the ever so delightful, broccoli cheddar soup!

10 tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
3 cups homemade chicken stock, that is hot, or 2 cups stock and 1 cup dry
white wine
1 cup of cream, or whole milk (preferably raw milk from grass fed cows)
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon, non-irradiated
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 large onion cut in half
3 cloves garlic, cut in half
6-8 cups of organic broccoli, florets and stalks chopped into small pieces(3-4 stalks)
fresh cracked black pepper to taste
4 cups extra sharp grass fed cheddar, plus extra to use as a garnish (or a mixture of
mild and sharp cheddar)

Equipment:

chef’s pan
knife
cutting board
food processor
grater/shredder

Directions:

Add the butter to a large chef’s pan over medium high heat until melted. Add the flour and stir with a whisk for a few minutes. Once it’s well incorporated slowly whisk in 1 cup of hot broth at a time, adding the wine last if you are using it. Whisk until smooth and all the liquid has been added. Turn up the heat, bring to a boil. Add the onion halves and garlic pieces and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream, dijon, tarragon, salt and nutmeg.
Meanwhile in another pot steam the broccoli until tender. While the broccoli is steaming, shred the cheese.
Remove onion and garlic pieces from the soup base and add the broccoli. Take about 1/3 of the mixture and blend it in a food processor or blender. Return to the pot and add 4 cups of cheese. Stir to melt the cheese. Add
extra cheese to individual bowls.

*Note* – I have made this soup without the buckwheat flour, I just lowered the liquid a bit and added more broccoli, it turned out very creamy and thick. So those who are paleo, on GAPS, or concerned that the buckwheat flour isn’t soaked you can alternatively try it without the flour at all with good results.

Time:

15 minutes active time, 30 minutes total time

This post contributed to the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop.

Melynda September 28, 2010 at 9:09 am

This looks and sounds delicious, thanks.

girlichef September 28, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Oh, this is one of my favorites…and I haven’t had it in forever!! Sounds amazing…and inspiring. Truly delish, thanks so much for sharing it with the hearth and soul hop this week!

alex@amoderatelife September 28, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Hi Lydie! My daughter’s always want me to take them to Panera for the Broccoli Cheddar soup! I am going to try your recipe and see if I can get them to enjoy it at home. Thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week! Alex@amoderatelife

Butterpoweredbike September 28, 2010 at 5:12 pm

My mom used to make a mean pot of Broccoli and Cheddar, so this recipe really brings back the memories. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Karen September 28, 2010 at 7:30 pm

This sounds delicious.
I am curious about the flour though. The concept of soaked grains is the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around. The flour in butter thingy to, in effect, make a roux is something I use _all_ the time in my cooking. How CAN this be done with soaked grains? In spite of the work around you managed here, I can’t conceive of making a traditional gumbo without a roux, much less many other, what I considered traditional, dishes.

lydia September 28, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Hi Karen!!

I don’t fret over it in things like this. However, at some point I plan to make my own soaked/sprouted buckwheat flour. Even Sally Fallon, author of Nourishing Tradtions uses white flour in pie crusts. You just have to pick your battles. It’s really the day in day out use of grains/legumes unsoaked that is hard on our bodies as the minerals found in them are bound up in the phytic acid ( a plant’s way of fighting back) – we can’t digest/break down the phytic acid in our bodies and therefore lose nutrients. So if you are aware of this and are paying attention to how you are getting your nutrients in your diet, eating lots of good fats and so on, you can get away with consuming some flour in certain things. However, that said, you can also use arrowroot as a thickener in many dishes, I have also tried in soups. Hope that helps!!

Couscous & Consciousness September 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm

This sounds wonderful – my partner loves broccoli – it is probably his most favourite food of all things, so I need to try and make this for him.
Sue

Christy September 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I will take mine with wine in it please!! I love a bit of wine is soups and stews! This soup sounds delicious. Thanks for linking this to the hearth and soul hop!

Amy Love @ Real Food Whole Health October 17, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Yes, please! That sounds incredible! I will definitely give this a try :) Thanks for sharing…

Marsha January 6, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I made this tonight, and both hubby and I ate THREE bowls each. We couldn’t help ourselves! The tarragon gives it a unique flavor which we really enjoyed (obviously). Hubby cannot eat anything with onion or garlic in it, so I had to leave those out entirely….but I look forward to making it when he’s out of town and I don’t have to omit them. Thanks for posting this fabulous recipe…it will be a staple in our home this winter.