In my last post I shared about the health benefits of kefir and a basic overview on how to make your own kefir at home using kefir grains. Now I would like to share some great recipes using kefir. I believe in order for kefir to retain its enzymatic probiotic effect it needs to be fresh and raw. You certainly could cook with kefir if you care to, however, you would lose it’s most essential function by doing so. That said here are my own personal favorite concoctions utilizing kefir in a way that reaps it’s health benefits.
- 2 cups kefir
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 2-4 raw pastured egg yolks, set aside in a small bowl
- 1 teaspoon raw honey, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- In a blender, add the mango, kefir, honey and orange zest if using.
- Blend thoroughly until there are no more mango chunks, adding more kefir if needed.
- With the blender still running, drizzle in the melted coconut oil.
- Then quickly add the pastured egg yolks and blend for just a second.
- Turn off the blender and serve.
- I use this smoothie to take my fermented cod liver oil. I just put a small amount in a shot glass add the FCLO and fire away. It actually tastes great!!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Kefir Ice Cream
3 cups kefir (fermented/cultured 18 hours long or less, if any longer it may be too tart for this recipe)
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup organic natural peanut butter
1/2 cup raw honey
3-4 pastured egg yolks
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract (gluten free preferably)
In a blender add all ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into chilled ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions. This is a very rich concoction – my kids loved it!!!
For more Kefir recipes
Also, check out the index of kefir recipes over at Cultured Food for Life!! I have my eye on the Peanut Butter Kefir Pie!!
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get