Homemade Chocolate Syrup

by lydia on October 6, 2010

Homemade Chocolate Syrup // divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com

Having a homemade chocolate syrup on hand that is healthy is a must when you have four growing boys. I remember growing up my mom had the Nestle’s Quick chocolate powder that we used to make chocolate milk. That is definitely not an option in my home these days as I am trying very hard to balance healthy eating habits, along with the occasional special item.

My kids drink a lot of raw milk thankfully, but recently my five year old ditched drinking milk. Shortly after he decided he didn’t want milk anymore, I noticed he was cranky A LOT and starting to go through a serious growth spurt. It is very difficult to get enough nourishing fats into my growing boys, so I decided I needed to come up with a way to get him drinking milk again. Thus my recipe for homemade chocolate syrup was birthed into existence.

My hope is that he will not need to have chocolate milk all the time, but I am happy to get the nourishment of raw milk into him regardless. My homemade chocolate syrup is very low in sugar, utilizing only the healthiest sweetener options, such as maple syrup or alternatively some rapadura or raw honey. I use only a small amount in each glass of milk and it is very rich and chocolately, so it goes a long way. I’d say he is only getting a minimal amount of sugar per glass, and thankfully, milk is already somewhat sweet on it’s own. So if you are in need of getting your little ones to drink more milk, this chocolate syrup could be a good option. I do plan on weaning him off it, as I have done that in the past and it worked out well.

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

• 1 cup cocoa powder (raw cacao is best, or a good quality cocoa powder that contains high amount of cocoa butter)
  • 1 cup water
  • ½ cup maple syrup, grade B preferably (more or less depending on your tastes), alternatively you can use rapadura, honey is okay but will make it very thick
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (preferably gluten-free)
  • ½ teaspoon of sea salt
  1. In a small saucepan, whisk together the cocoa powder, water and maple syrup.
  2. Bring to a slight simmer over medium heat, being careful not to burn and whisking constantly.
  3. Cook until well-mixed and thickened, about 4 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and let cool.
  5. Transfer to a glass jar and refrigerate. This syrup is very rich and thick, a little goes a long way.

Ounce for ounce, chocolate has more magnesium than any other food. However, chocolate is usually high in sugar making it not a good choice to satisfy your body’s magnesium needs. Thankfully, with this chocolate syrup you can rest assured that you are getting some good minerals thanks to the good quality cacao or cocoa powder and the maple syrup.

Are you a chocolate milk lover? Leave a comment letting me know!

This post contributed to Monday Mania.

12193414_10153662996327310_3136020545225721650_n

Jamie October 11, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Thanks for sharing this! I’ve been searching for a good, relatively healthy homemade chocolate syrup recipe without success, so this is really exciting!

Barb @ My Daily Round October 11, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Thanks for the recipe! We have the same raw milk supplier in our area!

My kids, especially my teenager, love chocolate milk. My husband got a gallon of raw milk out of the freezer by mistake this morning. By the time I realized his mistake, it was too late to put the raw milk back. My kids aren’t keen about raw milk yet, but a small helping of chocolate would change their minds.

Jen @ Eating My Vegetables October 11, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I don’t like plain milk either – so chocolate milk is my solution to drink lots of raw milk. (Along with raw vanilla ice cream, of course :) I usually use stevia to sweeten, but chocolate syrup to grab and go is excellent.

Mama Kelly aka Jia November 23, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Oooooo. I make chocolate syrup too, but I never thought to use maple syrup. I may have to give it a try in my next batch as I hate to use refined white sugar.

Lori July 12, 2011 at 11:37 am

Looks a great recipe. I have just started eating “clean” & eliminating sugars recently. I am going to try using agave nectar instead of the maple syrup. I live in a small town & my store has recently started selling agave, but still no organic pure maple syrup. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

lydia July 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I would use raw sugar or even honey or non organic maple syrup before I would use agave – agave is highly processed and much like that of high fructose corn syrup

Enjoy the recipe!!

Tami July 14, 2011 at 3:51 am

Just found your blog this week. DEFINITELY adding it to my blogroll. THANKS!

Tami July 14, 2011 at 4:56 pm

If I want to make this a thinner consistency – like for dribbling over pancakes – would I just add more water?

lydia July 15, 2011 at 7:02 am

Yes Tami!!

Jesse M September 11, 2011 at 11:43 am

I can’t wait to make this and have chocolate syrup for our raw milk and raw milk ice cream :) :)

Amy December 9, 2012 at 11:05 am

I\’ve made chocolate syrup for years for my daughter, who wouldn\’t drink milk otherwise, but recently switched to better ingredients. I\’ve been using the Rapadura, but it has a grainy texture even when it has been cooked. Anyone have any ideas? I\’ll probably have to switch to maple syrup, but it\’s so expensive!

Sara@AJoyfulMother December 22, 2012 at 6:35 pm

How long does this stay good for in the fridge? Mine gets a weird white film on top if I don\’t use it for a little while but I really don\’t think it is mold. W love this stuff and I feel so much better about it since it is maple syrup!

Edie April 14, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Do you think this could be used in other things like to make a mocha coffee, etc.? Do you mix it with cold milk or does it have to be warm??

lydia April 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Yes, it certainly could. I’ve used it in cold milk -just stir well or use a shaker type jar to get it to blend well.

Edie April 14, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Great, I’ve been looking for healthier options for my coffee, I already use organic coffee but I like my coffee like a latte and try to find healthier options for the cream/milk part. Thanks

lydia April 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Sure thing! I hope you enjoy it!

Susan August 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

Thank you for sharing this recipe! My kids love chocolate milk and I am always looking for ways to cut out sugar and preservatives.

They loved it!

lydia August 8, 2013 at 9:58 am

That’s great Susan!

Shannon November 20, 2013 at 9:22 am

Tried to pin this & the link doesn’t work on pinterest. Any possibility of getting that fixed?
I can’t wait to try this recipe…it looks wonderful!!

Sasha May 24, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Is there an alternative to the maple syrup? Something suitable for a diabetic?

lydia May 25, 2014 at 9:37 am

Hi Sasha,

I’m sure you could adapt it to suit your needs. I’ve only ever made actual syrup with either honey or maple syrup. I have however make my kids hot chocolate with just cocoa powder, vanilla stevia drops and milk and they love it!

Marlene June 26, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I assume you add the vanilla and salt after it’s done and off the heat? There’s no mention of them in the directions.

lydia June 26, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Yes Marlene – although it doesn’t matter when the salt is added but I like to add it to taste so after it’s off the heat is a good idea! :)

Ruby August 24, 2015 at 9:00 am

Hi Lydia, Just wondering how many serves do you believe that this makes. Thanks :)

lydia August 30, 2015 at 9:06 am

Hard to say for sure. It’s about 2 cups – if you use 1 Tbsp per serving it will yield approximately 32 servings

T July 19, 2016 at 9:52 pm

how long with this last refrigerated?