Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Brownies

by lydia on October 28, 2010

Just in time for all the upcoming fall holidays, these Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Brownies are sure to please. Years ago, I found a recipe for this brownie and wasn’t too sure the marriage of chocolate and pumpkin was a winning combo. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they are indeed a match made in heaven. I have adapted a Martha Stewart recipe into a more nourishing and gluten free one. Let these Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Brownies grace you with their delightful sweet and rich taste sensation.

Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Brownies
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 16

• 8 tablespoons butter
  • 6-8 ounces organic dark chocolate
  • ½ cup coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder (optional)
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ cup organic cane sugar or honey
  • 6 pastured eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (gluten-free)
  • 1¼ cups organic pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
  • ¼ cup coconut oil, unrefined expeller pressed
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • Pinch of cayenne
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan or dish.
  3. Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over lowest heat until melted, watch closely.
  4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cayenne, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
  5. Put sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; beat until fluffy and well combined, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in flour mixture.
  6. Pour half of batter into the chocolate mixture, mix well.
  7. In another bowl, stir in the pumpkin, coconut oil, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add half of the batter to this mixture.
  8. Transfer half of chocolate batter to prepared pan smoothing top with a rubber spatula. Top with half of pumpkin batter.
  9. Repeat to make one more chocolate layer and one more pumpkin layer. Work quickly so batters don’t set.
  10. With a small spatula or a table knife, gently swirl the two batters to create a marbled effect. Be sure to get your knife all the way to the bottom of the pan.
  11. Bake until set, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 16 squares.

This post contributed to Fight Back Fridays.

Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon?  There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!

Kim October 28, 2010 at 8:42 am

Sounds yummy! Can’t wait to try them!

Jen October 28, 2010 at 11:39 am

NOM NOM NOM!!! They look fabulous!! I think I’ll make them for a Halloween get together this weekend : ).

Steven Wright October 29, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Just curious have you ever tried making these with almond flour? does it turn out the same? I don’t have any coconut flour at the moment. Thanks!

lydia October 31, 2010 at 9:00 am

Steven,

Sorry can’t say that I have tried them with almond flour – but if you try it that way let me know!!

Meagan October 29, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Now THIS is something I would make. Grain free and full of delicious ingredients.

Alison October 31, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I’m making these right now! I just tasted the batter. So delicious. I can’t wait to see how they turn out. looking forward to many more recipes from you.

Lisa @ Real Food DIgest November 1, 2010 at 11:24 am

These look yummy! Can’t wait to get pumpkins in my CSA box to try it! Do you think these would work with honey or coconut/palm sugar?

lydia November 1, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I think they’d work with other forms of sugar, I’d try coconut/palm sugar first though!! Hope you like them!!!

Kelly November 13, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I’m not senstive or allergic to any food, so I don’t usually even look at recipes that are specifically free of something, but this sounded so yummy I had to check it out! I saw your link at Fight Back Friday. I just finished cooking and skinnning a huge pumpkin and will have enough left after other planned recipes to try this. Curious about the cayenne though-how does that affect the flavor?

lydia November 16, 2010 at 7:50 am

Hi Kelly!!

It’s a pretty subtle addition of flavor by adding the cayenne – gives it another dimension, but it’s totally optional!! Hope you enjoy them!!

Stacy October 25, 2011 at 11:22 am

I just had a question: Do baked good made with coconut flour have more of a custard texture than those made with other flours? This was my second attempt, both very different recipes, and I got a similar texture that falls apart quite easily.

angela@spinachtiger November 9, 2013 at 8:02 am

What a delicious looking recipe, and I’m going to pin.