Nourishing Sweet Potato Casserole

by lydia on November 23, 2010

I personally did not grow up with the typical sweet potato casserole topped with marshmallows being served on Thanksgiving. Typically, we would simply have, essentially, mashed sweet potatoes with butter. When I grew up and went out on my own I learned about the very popular sweet potato casserole that seemed to grace most every Thanksgiving table. I honestly could not understand why on earth people would want a casserole topped with marshmallows. Nasty! My personal preference these days is for a more nourishing version of sweet potato casserole that highlight’s the already delectable sweetness of the tuber along with some good fats from cultured butter and pastured eggs. If you are looking for a more nourishing and healthy version of this ever famous holiday side dish, check out my recipe. (I promise you won’t even miss the marshmallows!)

Nourishing Sweet Potato Casserole
Author:
Recipe type: Side Dish
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6

• 2½ pounds organic sweet potatoes, or yams, peeled and cubed
  • 2 pastured eggs, lightly beaten
  • 4 tablespoons cultured butter, melted plus more for the baking dish
  • 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, optional
  • Sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ginger
  • Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
  • Fresh ground black pepper
  • ½ cup crispy pecans, coarsely chopped (recipe follows)
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Boil potatoes in a pot of water until fork tender. Drain and mash into a large bowl.
  3. Add the eggs, butter, honey or maple syrup, sea salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and pepper. Stir this mixture until well-blended and smooth.
  4. Butter an 8×8 inch baking dish.
  5. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the pan and sprinkle the top with crispy pecans.
  6. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until a bit puffy.

Crispy Pecans

4 cups pecan halves
2 teaspoons sea salt
filtered water

Mix pecans with salt and filtered water in a bowl and leave in a warm place for at least 7 hours, or overnight. Drain in a colander. Spread pecans on a stainless steel baking pan and place in a warm oven (no more than 150 degrees Fahrenheit) for 12 to 24 hours, until completely dry and crispy. Store in an airtight container.

(photo credit) This post contributed to the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop and Real Food Wednesdays.

Butterpoweredbike November 23, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I’m with you sister, the whole marshmallow thing makes me want to run in the opposite direction. I want a little savory contrast to the already sweet potato. So happy to see this recipe. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Jason@JLHealth November 23, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Sweet potatos AND pecans in the same recipe!?!?! I’m soooo very glad to find your recipe in time for Thanksgiving! Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Aleshia Lierle November 23, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Hi! Thanks for this great share! I hope you will post more in the future… :)

Couscous & Consciousness November 24, 2010 at 1:14 am

We don’t do Thanksgiving where I come from, and the idea of that sweet potato thing with marshmallows on top just makes me want to gag. When I was growing up we only ever had sweet potato one way and that was roasted – still my favourite way to have it, but this recipe looks intriguing and I love maple syrup and pecans with sweet potato, so I imagine I would like this :-)
Sue

Musings of a Housewife November 24, 2010 at 7:18 am

YUM. My mom makes the casserole you mock 😉 and I never cared for the topping. Now THIS I can get excited about.

Meagan November 28, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I’ve visited your blog a couple times now. Each blog recipe I ever find I have to change a few of the ingredients to get it to my liking (gluten free, nourishing, grain free, low sugar, low carb, no soy) but the two recipes I’ve seen of yours I haven’t had to do that at all. YAY! I will stop by for more ideas more often.

julie November 17, 2011 at 8:57 am

looks really really good even if it is very late for the real thanksgiving. I can use it at Christmas! Or maybe I won’t wait that long.

Cheryl November 26, 2011 at 2:00 am

Made this for Thanksgiving. Very tasty — family thought it tasted like pumpkin pie and especially so when I put a dollop of whipped cream on someone’s! lol Thank you for the recipe. For my liking, it was a tad heavy (it was whipped so much that it practically floated afterwards), so I think that maybe I’ll add some milk next time (and so would be even more like a pie).

lydia November 30, 2011 at 10:35 am

It is very dense indeed – it’s almost like a dessert for sure! Glad you liked it!!

uk dissertation sample ideas May 18, 2013 at 2:40 am

looks really really good even if it is very late for the real thanksgiving.

paper writing June 27, 2013 at 10:05 am

I think it’s fantastically tasty. My aunt used to cook it.