Since going gluten free and pretty much grain free this past spring, I have had to come up with a lot of new recipes to replace old favorites. Brownies are one of our favorite easy family snacks, therefore I was determined to come up with a recipe for gluten-free brownies using coconut flour. I picked out one of my favorite brownie recipes and attempted to convert it to a coconut flour brownie. It took much trial and error, while I was still learning how to work with coconut flour, but I think I finally nailed it!! These brownies are a huge hit in my home and even people who are not health conscious or gluten free rave about them!! They are very rich and chocolately, so it’s hard to over indulge – just a small square will do! I am happy to share this recipe hoping others will benefit from it! Let me know how you enjoy these if you try them!! I call them ‘Brownies Divine.’
- 12 tablespoons butter, ghee or coconut oil
- ½ cup organic cane sugar or rapadura (if you like use a ⅓ cup of sugar instead), or honey
- ¾ cup sifted good quality cocoa powder (Hershey's or Nestle's will simply not do, unless of course it's all you can get!)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Half of a 73% dark chocolate bar from Trader Joe's, or half a cup of chopped dark chocolate, preferably organic fair trade without soy lecithin in it, or unsweetened chocolate (if choosing this option, add 1-2 tablespoons more of honey), or half cup of chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life brand)
- 3 pastured eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (gluten-free)
- ¼ cup coconut ﬂour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt together butter, sugar, cocoa, salt and chocolate in a pan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Add in the eggs one at a time.
- Mix well, at ﬁrst it will not be smooth, but keep whisking until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Sift in the coconut ﬂour.
- Pour mixture into a parchment lined/or well-buttered 8x8 pan.
- Bake the brownies for 20-25 minutes. (I do it for about 22 minutes). If using honey, 25-27 minutes is best.
- Remove from oven, let cool 10-15 minutes before digging in.
- These brownies are the perfect palette for some homemade vanilla ice cream!!! Or, for a dairy-free dessert, use some coconut whipped cream. Enjoy!!
This post contributed to Gluten-Free Weekly Meal Plan.
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get