We celebrated another birthday here in our home yesterday! One of my conundrums with birthdays of late has been the cake, how do I make a healthy gluten free cake? Well, I decided that since I adored ice cream cake as a kid surely my kid would too. Therefor, a homemade ice cream cake was in order. I had never made a homemade ice cream cake before, but came up with a plan and went for it. I do not purchase store bought ice cream anymore due to the many bad ingredients, and have been making my own for more than a year now. It took a bit of advance planning to make this cake, and a few steps but overall was very simple to make and the results were fabulous!
- 1 recipe vanilla ice cream for a 1 1/2 quart ice cream maker
- 1 recipe chocolate ice cream for 1 1/2 quart ice cream maker
- 1 cup of coarse almond flour
- 1 tablespoon of organic cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1-2 teaspoons organic sugar (optional)
- 6 ounces organic dark chocolate
- 4 ounces organic heavy cream, preferably raw (not homogenized or ultra pasteurized)
- Begin prep 2 days in advance of when you will serve this cake.
- Make the vanilla ice cream and store in a container in the freezer.
- Refreeze your ice cream canister for 24 hours, then make the chocolate ice cream, and store in a container in the freezer until it hardens.
- In a bowl mix the almond flour, cocoa and sugar. Set aside.
- Use a large loaf pan, line it with parchment paper or plastic wrap to mold your cake.
- Let both ice creams soften out of the freezer for a bit.
- Scoop the vanilla into the lined loaf pan and spread it in evenly ( you may not need all the ice cream.)
- Sprinkle the almond mixture over the ice cream.
- Scoop the softened chocolate ice cream gently over top and spread it evenly as well.
- Top the pan with a layer of parchment paper and refreeze for at least an hour.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and stir in the cream. Let cool a bit before drizzling over the cake.
- Remove the ice cream cake from the freezer. Carefully unmold the cake onto a serving plate, gently peeling back the parchment paper.
- Drizzle the chocolate sauce over as decoratively as you can.
- This serves 10-12 people.
- Note: this could also be made with coconut ice cream to make a dairy free version.
This post contributed to Fight Back Fridays.
Note: We have made a version of this cake the past 2 years – the boys loved it so much they ask for it again and again. I am happy to oblige!
Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon? There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!
Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone, Skype or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!