We celebrated another birthday here in our home yesterday! One of my conundrums with birthdays of late has been the cake, how do I make a healthy gluten free cake? Well, I decided that since I adored ice cream cake as a kid surely my kid would too. Therefore, a homemade ice cream cake was in order. I had never made a homemade ice cream cake before, but came up with a plan and went for it. I do not purchase store bought ice cream anymore due to the many bad ingredients and have been making my own for more than a year now. It took a bit of advance planning to make this cake, and a few steps but overall was very simple to make and the results were fabulous!
- 1 recipe vanilla ice cream for a 1½ quart ice cream maker (see recipe below)
- 1 recipe chocolate ice cream for 1½ quart ice cream maker (see recipe below)
- 1 cup of coarse almond flour
- 1 tablespoon of organic cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1-2 teaspoons organic sugar (optional)
- 6 ounces organic dark chocolate
- 4 ounces organic heavy cream, preferably raw (not homogenized or ultra pasteurized)
- Begin prep 2 days in advance of when you will serve this cake.
- Make the vanilla ice cream and store in a container in the freezer.
- Refreeze your ice cream canister for 24 hours, then make the chocolate ice cream, and store in a container in the freezer until it hardens.
- In a bowl mix the almond flour, cocoa and sugar. Set aside.
- Use a large loaf pan, line it with parchment paper or plastic wrap to mold your cake.
- Let both ice creams soften out of the freezer for a bit.
- Scoop the vanilla into the lined loaf pan and spread it in evenly (you may not need all the ice cream.)
- Sprinkle the almond mixture over the ice cream.
- Scoop the softened chocolate ice cream gently over top and spread it evenly as well.
- Top the pan with a layer of parchment paper and refreeze for at least an hour.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and stir in the cream. Let cool a bit before drizzling over the cake.
- Remove the ice cream cake from the freezer. Carefully unmold the cake onto a serving plate, gently peeling back the parchment paper.
- Drizzle the chocolate sauce over as decoratively as you can.
- Note: This could also be made with coconut ice cream to make a dairy-free version.
This post contributed to Fight Back Fridays.
Note: We have made a version of this cake the past 2 years – the boys loved it so much they ask for it again and again. I am happy to oblige!
Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon? There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get our