These coconut milk popsicles are a great snack for any child, but namely great for a sick child recovering from tummy troubles. I fed my son these homemade coconut popsicles all week as he was suffering from diarrhea. I think they are a great way to get good fats and even probiotics into your child, in addition to receiving the benefits from pastured egg yolks. (In the case of diarrhea choose Saccharomyces boulardii).
Last week I made about a gallon of coconut milk using this method from Nourished Kitchen. While my son was struggling with his sickness I decided to use the coconut milk to make these popsicles for him. They truly helped nourish and rehydrate him.
If you are not accustomed to using kefir or the grains omit that step or add the lesser amount. Kefir grains should work as an aid to stop diarrhea and help the gut flora get rebalanced.
Alternative – make the popsicles with coconut water instead of the coconut milk as an option for rehydrating after a stomach bug.
- 1½-2 cups coconut milk, preferably homemade
- 3-6 pastured egg yolks
- 1-2 Tablespoons raw honey
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 ½-3 teaspoons of kefir grains (optional)
- Pinch of sea salt (optional)
- In a blender, puree all ingredients together on low until smooth. (I usually add in the oil after the rest of the ingredients are whirring away in the blender.)
- Pour mixture into molds and freeze 6-8 hours.
- If you have any leftover mixture, pour it into an ice cube tray. The ice cubes will freeze more quickly and you can serve them in a bowl chopped up as a slushy treat.
If you don’t have popsicle molds, you can try it as a smoothie. This could even be made into ice cream using an ice cream maker. I have 4 kids, so I have a plethora of popsicle molds on hand, so we can have a variety of popsicles at any given time. Not to mention, extras for our potential ‘guests’. See the images below to see my two favorite popsicle molds.
*Disclaimer: This blog post may contain Amazon and other affiliate links and should you purchase through them will not affect your price and all proceeds go towards the cost of maintaining this website. Thank you!
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get