Coconut Milk Popsicles

by lydia on January 17, 2011

These coconut milk popsicles are a great snack for any child, but namely great for a sick child recovering from tummy troubles. I fed my son these homemade coconut popsicles all week as he was suffering from diarrhea. I think they are a great way to get good fats and even probiotics into your child, in addition to receiving the benefits from pastured egg yolks. (In the case of diarrhea choose Saccharomyces boulardii).

Last week I made about a gallon of coconut milk using this method from Nourished Kitchen.  While my son was struggling with his sickness I decided to use the coconut milk to make these popsicles for him. They truly helped nourish and rehydrate him.

If you are not accustomed to using kefir or the grains omit that step or add the lesser amount. Kefir grains should work as an aid to stop diarrhea and help the gut flora get rebalanced.

Alternative – make the popsicles with coconut water instead of the coconut milk as an option for rehydrating after a stomach bug.

100_1451

Coconut Milk Popsicles
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert or Snack

• 1½-2 cups coconut milk, preferably homemade
  • 3-6 pastured egg yolks
  • 1-2 Tablespoons raw honey
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  • 1 ½-3 teaspoons of kefir grains (optional)
  • Pinch of sea salt (optional)
  1. In a blender, puree all ingredients together on low until smooth. (I usually add in the oil after the rest of the ingredients are whirring away in the blender.)
  2. Pour mixture into molds and freeze 6-8 hours.
  3. If you have any leftover mixture, pour it into an ice cube tray. The ice cubes will freeze more quickly and you can serve them in a bowl chopped up as a slushy treat.

If you don’t have popsicle molds, you can try it as a smoothie. This could even be made into ice cream using an ice cream maker. I have 4 kids, so I have a plethora of popsicle molds on hand, so we can have a variety of popsicles at any given time. Not to mention, extras for our potential ‘guests’. See the images below to see my two favorite popsicle molds.

*Disclaimer: This blog post may contain Amazon and other affiliate links and should you purchase through them will not affect your price and all proceeds go towards the cost of maintaining this website. Thank you!

Jenny January 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Those look awesome! I’m glad you tried that method!

Elizabeth @ Nourishing Creations January 17, 2011 at 4:13 pm

If only I had the energy to get up and make these….sans eggs, since my belly is not happy today!

lydia January 17, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Elizabeth so sorry you got hit with a tummy bug! I also had my son drink a ton of coconut water which really kept him hydrated. Anyways, hope you feel better real soon!!

Priscilla January 17, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Those look delicious. I will have to try them in my Zoku Quick Pop Maker http://www.zokuhome.com/pages/products-quickpop-maker. If you haven’t tried it, you can make pops in 7 minutes. Then you can have them whenever you want.

lydia January 17, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Yes Jenny, thanks for posting your method, it inspired me to make coconut milk. I really don’t love the taste of canned coconut milk and it actually seems to upset my stomach, but the homemade stuff is so fresh and delicious!! Love it!! Oh and thanks for the link love 😉

Staci January 17, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I didn’t realize you can eat kefir grains like that. Thanks!

Christine January 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm

What a great idea Lydia! We are going to have to try these. I hope your son is feeling better now!

lydia January 18, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Christine, he is WORLDS better, thank you!!!

Darcy January 18, 2011 at 3:29 am

Hi. I’m new to your site. What are “pastured eggs”? Many thanks; this recipe looks delish!

marina January 18, 2011 at 9:23 am

these look great, and I am glad I found a recipe to use up my coconut milk! instead of kefir, what about adding probiotics (powder?). I will try that. here it is also the seaoson of tummy bugs!

lydia January 18, 2011 at 6:45 pm

yes you could add some probiotic powder as well Marina!!

Kimberly January 18, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Darcy,
Pastured eggs means eggs from chickens that have access to pasture/grass (i.e., not from chickjens that are raised in confinement and never see the sun).

Sally King January 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm

What are pastuerized eggs?

lydia January 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Sally, it’s actually PASTURED eggs – which are eggs that came from chicken raised as it is naturally intended, on a pasture free to roam and eat bugs, worms and grass and be in the sunshine obtaining lots of vitamin D and only fed supplemental feed as needed.

Alicia January 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I made these and loved them! Thanks!

Lucy Kaufman January 21, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I thought eating raw eggs was unhealthy. We only eat organic pasturized eggs for everything.

Mia January 22, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I didn’t have any popcicle makers so I just made this in tiny glass bowls with lids and it turned out to be the BEST icecream EVER. And since I have deprived my kids of real icecream for so long now, they gobbled this up so fast tonight. I used raw egg yolks of course…..I did the recipe exactly as stated, however I didn’t add the kefir grains and I also added a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the mixture as well !! The kids LOVED this icecream and they want me to make more already !! I am so thankful for this recipe !! Thank YOU !!

lydia January 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm

That’s awesome Mia, glad you enjoyed them!!!

olivia February 1, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I’ll try this recipe. I was wondering what you do with all the leftover egg whites. I have many recipes that need egg yolks and I can’t keep up with using up the whites!

lydia February 6, 2011 at 9:59 am

Hi Olivia, I have a hard time using up my whites too, but I do every now and then make a big batch of coconut macaroons and have a new egg noodle recipe that I am gonna try to use up my whites. I do freeze them often in batches of 2 or 4.

Joey Jo-Jo June 20, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Thanks for the delicious recipe. What’s the effect of freezing on kefir grains and/or other probiotics? Wouldn’t that kill them and negate any health benefits? Thanks again!

lydia November 10, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Joey ~ sorry I am just now getting around to replying to you. No freezing the grains doesn’t kill them! They may be less potent in a frozen state but I suspect that they revive in the gut (that’s just a theory!)

Kelly November 10, 2011 at 11:56 am

So happy to find a recipe! I tried making my own, they were ok. I paid $5 a box for these at whole foods when 2 of my children had their tonsils out on the same day. I wanted something that would provide nutrition not just flavored sugar water. They really likes the guava flavored. How would you suggest flavoring these? As in ratio.

lydia November 10, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Kelly ~ Do you mean how much fruit should you add? I would just add it to taste preference as if you were making a smoothie.

{ 1 trackback }