Ice cream has been a constant companion to me. Ice cream was my go-to food when pregnant with each of my boys. Ice cream calls to me each summer and often is a meal replacement choice when life gets busy. It satisfies my sweet tooth, yet if it’s true full fat ice cream really satiates and indeed can even be nourishing.
I’m at a point in life where I really can’t tolerate dairy very well, so eating a bowl of true ice cream gives me discomfort. Thankfully, I don’t have to give up one of my favorite treats. I have found a way to enjoy ice cream that nourishes me as well as tastes great! Thank God for coconut milk (and I am glad I like coconut, unlike other members of my family who are adamantly opposed to it!) I have been making this recipe for over a year and have shared it with many people. Even those who only are familiar with store bought ice cream enjoy it! Imagine that, healthy ice cream that tastes so good you wouldn’t even know the difference!! But it makes all the difference in the world to me to know it’s actually benefiting my body!!
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons good quality cocoa (such as Frontier Fair Trade Organic cocoa)
- 1½ -2 cups of full fat coconut milk or coconut cream (I use Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk)
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla
- dash of chocolate extract (optional)
- a few ounces of your favorite dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
- 3-4 pastured egg yolks (optional)
- Melt the coconut oil in a sauce pan at low heat, and if using the dark chocolate pieces add them as well.
- Add cocoa powder and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the coconut milk, salt and honey and stir just to dissolve and incorporate the honey, then remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla and chocolate extract if using.
- Quickly beat in the egg yolks well with a whisk until well combined. Chill this mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.
- Once chilled proceed with the manufacturer's instructions of your ice cream maker.
This ice cream is super filling and a little goes a long way. It’s a great way to get some nourishing fats into your kids in a fun way! If you don’t own an ice cream maker yet, go get one! (Here is the one I have). It’s a great tool to have in your real food kitchen. Processed ice cream is loaded with sugar and ingredients you do not want to consume, though there are a few decent brands out there.
*Disclaimer: This blog post may contain Amazon and other affiliate links and should you purchase through them will not affect your price and all proceeds go towards the cost of maintaining this website. Thank you!
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get