Homemade Honey Baked Ham

by lydia on April 22, 2011

Across our nation, families are gearing up to celebrate Easter, serving up the most likely main meat choice of, none other than, ham. I don’t know how this tradition came to be, but it seems to be a very common one throughout the US. Many a family will also most likely purchase a pre-glazed or even a rather expensive honey baked ham from any number of markets. I myself enjoy a good honey baked ham, but in an effort to make everything I consume as healthy as possible I decided to come up with my own recipe for honey baked ham.  If I am gonna sweeten up my meat I prefer to do it with the most natural sweeteners possible. It’s super simple to do, and you really can’t go wrong with trying it at home yourself. I mean we are talking sweet pork here people, who doesn’t love that?!!

Honey Baked Ham

Getting your hands on pastured ham is ideal, as commercial pork is not fed a healthy diet at all. If you can’t get pastured, try to get a ham that has not been fed antibiotics or injected with hormones. I purchase my pork twice a year in bulk by buying a half hog from a local farm. (Learn more about how to choose the healthiest meats).

Homemade Honey Baked Ham

• Serves 8-10
  • 1- 5 to 7 pound pasture raised organic ham, no nitrates added
  • 1/2 cup local honey
  • 1/2 cup cultured butter, ghee, or coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup organic freshly squeezed orange juice
  • Cloves, about 1/2 cup

1. Stud the entire ham with the cloves if desired. Place ham cut side down in a roasting pan.
  2. In a small saucepan bring to simmer the butter, honey, and orange juice. Simmer until thickened and bubbly.
  3. Brush the mixture over the entire ham and bake at 375 for one hour. (a thermometer inserted should read 140.)
  4. Turn on the broiler and let the outside of the ham caramelize for several minutes. Remove from oven, let sit for about 10 minutes. Remove juices from pan and strain into a small pitcher or bowl to drizzle over the ham. Slice and serve.

Have you tried making homemade honey baked ham? Share in the comments.

Jo-Lynne {Musings of a Housewife} April 23, 2011 at 6:58 am

THANKS for this! I ordered a ham from the farm market and I wasn’t sure what to do with it. You haven’t failed me yet, so I’m going to use this. Made your coconut chocolate ice cream last night but I haven’t put it through the ice cream maker yet. Can’t WAIT to see how it tastes.

lydia April 23, 2011 at 8:15 am

Uh Oh ~ what happens when I do fail you, do I get written off, lol 😉

Can’t wait to hear how it turns out for ya, enjoy!!!

lydia April 24, 2011 at 10:31 am

You may find that there is TOO much glaze – I just adjusted the recipe!!

Trina April 27, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Where do you buy your ham, and is it boneless? We are not big Ham eaters but recently my husband and 2 boys wanted to start getting it again. We have been getting a bone in smoked organic ham from our farmer but I’d like to get a boneless one so I can slice it with my slicer for sandwiches. Plus, I hope to find it a bit cheaper than $53 for a 8lb ham. OUCH on the wallet!

lydia April 28, 2011 at 7:05 am

Trina -that is actually a good price. I think my farmer sells a truly pastured ham for $7 per lb., at least you can get many meals out of one ham. To get a boneless ham you’d have to check with your farmer or maybe request one in advance of their butchering time so they can get it cut that way. If you live in the southeastern Pa area, this is where I get my meats; http://www.redhavenfarm.com/

Jennifer at Purposeful Nutrition and The Entwife's Journal April 20, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I made this for Easter today. It turned out quite good. I had a ham from a pig my dad raised.

lydia April 20, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Awesome – I’m so glad you enjoyed it!!

Kathryn Grace August 5, 2015 at 4:14 pm

We don’t eat a lot of meat at our house any longer, but every now and then, we need to accommodate the meat eaters in our family gatherings. Ham is one of our go-tos, and one we will occasionally enjoy ourselves, so I’m glad to find this recipe. Looks delish!

Today, I shared it as Recipe of the Day on a Facebook page I manage called Cooking with Whole Grains & Real, Whole Foods, where I include at least one meat-oriented recipe a week, sometimes more.

Looking forward to trying this!

lydia August 7, 2015 at 7:56 am