May just seems like a time of year that both avocados and limes are entirely desirable. Is it just me, or do you find that true as well? Spring is fully in bloom, maybe the flips flops have been donned a time or two, skin is getting kissed by the sun once again and a fresh flavorful array of produce is bursting forth in the markets. Fresh salads are a daily craving anymore and topping them with savory notes of zippy lime and creamy avocado seem apropo. Avocado and limes married together to form a sweet symphony of flavors, yes indeed!
Avocados are packed with vitamin K, dietary fiber, potassium, folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin C and copper. Avocados contain “oleic acid”, a monounsaturated fat that may help lower cholesterol. Avocado is also a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure. One cup of avocado has about 23% of the RDA for folate , a nutrient important for heart health. Avocados are also a very concentrated dietary source of the cartenoid lutein , and contain measurable amounts of related carotenoids plus significant quantities of vitamin E. Overall these gems are super nutrient dense, be sure to include them in your diet.
This Avocado Lime Dip goes great with a plethora of dishes, served alongside a taco bar, with crudites, or thinned out a bit with olive oil to top a salad. If you enjoy guacamole, surely this recipe will allure you as well.
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 6 tablespoons lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 6 tablespoons sour cream (grass-fed, cultured, or homemade - see recipe below)
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender or food processor, combine the avocado, lime juice, sour cream, cilantro, coriander and garlic. Blend well.
- With the machine running, slowly pour in the olive oil.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- This dip will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This dip goes great served alongside my Mexican Beef with Kale.
To make your own sour cream, check out my recipe here.
This post contributed to Fight Back Fridays.
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get