Sweet Potato Chips, how I adore thee, let me count the ways! Lately, I’ve gotten quite a hankering for these golden brown beauties in all their sweet crispness! Since I am currently on the Paleo Challenge, sweet potatoes are my go to carb of choice. Whenever I want crunch or salt, I find myself gravitating towards the cast iron skillet filled with either bacon fat, coconut oil or lard and frying up some of these bad boys! I never did like the store bought sweet potato chips, but the homemade ones are to die for! Not to mention, super simple to make. I suppose if you are phobic about frying, you could certainly bake these, but the fried ones taste so good and take way less time!
- 1-2 organic sweet potatoes (1/3 to 1/2 potato per person)
- coconut oil, pastured lard, or good quality bacon fat
- sea salt
- In a large cast iron skillet heat 1/2 -1 cup coconut oil, lard or bacon fat on medium high heat to 350 or it sizzles when you place a potato slice in the oil/fat.
- Slice your sweet potatoes into very thin disks, or whatever thickness is your preference.
- The thinner you slice the crispier the chip you will obtain.
- Try using a mandolin slicer if you have one, for even thin slices.
- Place the disks into the hot oil.
- Fry on each side for a few minutes until a deep golden brown.
- Be careful not to burn. You will want to stand by and watch carefully.
- Repeat until all disks are cooked. Remove from skillet with tongs, place on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 375.
- In a bowl toss the sliced sweet potatoes with enough oil or fat to coat.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet or sheets.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes, checking frequently that they do not burn.
- They are done when the begin to curl up and are golden brown.
- It is very easy to burn sweet potato chips, so be sure to monitor carefully!
This post contributed to Real Food Wednesdays.
Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon? There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!
Lydia Joy Shatney is a certified Nutritional Therapist Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association. Additionally, she is the chapter leader for the Weston A. Price Foundation in Delaware County, Pa. (Find the group here on Facebook). Lydia is also a member of the Nourished Living Network. Lydia founded Divine Health From The Inside Out in March of 2010. You can find Lydia on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. Sign up for the Divine Health From The Inside Out newsletter! Pick up a copy of Lydia’s eBook; ‘Divine Dinners: Gluten-Free, Nourishing, Family-Friendly Meals’.
Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Lydia also offers 3 online course: Heal Your Gut, Get Healthy To Lose Weight and A Calm Mind. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!