Gazpacho

by lydia on August 15, 2011

Tomatoes in abundance, it’s the time of year that I always anticipate to make a large batch of gazpacho. Refreshing and full of summer’s bounty, gazpacho is a delightful treat this time of year, highlighting numerous fresh vegetables. In an effort to make this a treat I could enjoy for a longer duration I tried my hand at fermenting a batch of gazpacho and the results were quite satisfactory.

Gazpacho is a cold Spanish based raw vegetable soup. It is widely consumed throughout Spain, Portugal and some parts of Latin America. There are a number of variations on this cold summer soup, originally it was an Arab soup that contained water, stale bread, olive oil and garlic. Thankfully, it has morphed into a more aromatic and flavorful soup. Traditionally, gazpacho is made by pounding the vegetables using a mortar and pestle. This method helps to avoid the foamy fully pureed versions you would get from using a food processor. However, a pureed version may be preferable to some. I have included instructions to make it 3 ways, chunky, pureed and fermented.

Gazpacho
Author:
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 4-6

• 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced fine
  • 4 tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 2 peppers, diced
  • 1 small red onion, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ to 1 cup fresh herbs such as cilantro, basil, parsley,
  • chives, minced
  • 24 oz. Knudsen's Very Veggie Juice (or other vegetable
  • juice, preferably organic)
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • ¼ cup of olive oil
  • Juice of one lime (optional)
  • Tabasco to taste (optional)
  • Pinch of chipotle powder (this is my preference, though it
  • is optional as well)
  1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and let sit for an hour for flavors to marry.
  2. Alternatively, you can ferment this if you like: Place the gazpacho mixture in quart jars and add 4 tablespoons whey to each quart and 1 tablespoon salt to each. Let sit for 2 days before transferring to cold storage.
  3. Or, you could puree the whole mixture in the food processor for a smoother gazpacho.
  4. Serve with a dollop of Tzatziki or chopped avocados instead of the traditional stale bread crouton topping.

This recipe contributed to Monday Mania.

Lisa's Counter Culture August 15, 2011 at 11:34 pm

If you want to ferment it – I would leave the vinegar out – the tang will be developed from the fermentation process. If you use a closed air system (like the Pickl-it jars) to lactofermented this – which I would recommend especially since this has a fruit base (tomato) than you can also leave out the whey. Yum!

lydia August 17, 2011 at 7:26 am

I have not yet tried the Pickl-it jars Lisa – I am a simple home fermenter to date. One of these days I just may get around to trying those jars. I appreciate your added thoughts on this recipe. Thanks!

Lisa's Counter Culture August 15, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Hmmm – I may be missing something here – but how are there three ways?

lydia August 17, 2011 at 7:23 am

chunky, smooth or fermented – I hesitated to put ‘3 ways’ in the title – I think I’ll change that now!

Lisa's Counter Culture August 17, 2011 at 10:54 am

Lydia,
These are totally geared to the simple home fermenter who wants to make true traditional ferments – I promise you that you will love it!
I was dubious at first – but the more I learned about the science behind it and saw what great consistent results I got – I was hooked. Plus the are super affordable and you can get all sorts of great sizes to everything from salsa to a large batch of kraut.

lydia August 17, 2011 at 11:51 am

Thanks Lisa – I have considered it – maybe it’s almost time to take that leap!!

Linda July 21, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Thank you so much for this particular recipe. I truly enjoy the actual preparation process in fermenting my foods…the chopping, combining, then watching the progress, the waiting is a joy for me too. I like seeing it turn into a wonderfully tasty probiotic that is so delicious and healthy.

Don’t know if your interested in knowing this…but will take the chance you might. When I’m under the weather especially, or having gloom and doom days or just an upset stomach that I can’t quite get to go away, even when I have used fresh ginger teas. I take out a shot glass and fill it full of my home made fermented sauerkraut juice, that I keep in the refrigerator, (it’s always an ongoing ferment for most any type issue)….it’s nice and cold as I drink it down and some times I will have “2” shots, depends on how sick I feel at the time. Sometimes it hits me instantly and I feel better, other times it may take a few minutes, but it “always” makes me all better again. Acid indigestion, is another issue this is really great for and it was also my personal cure for H. Pylori, it helped to heal my gut of that bad boy, along with eating plain organic raw honey. When I went to have my blood work taken after I had eaten the sauerkraut/juice and the honey for about 6 months, I was told….you no longer have H. Pylori!! Shocking isn’t it, because there “doesn’t seem to be a cure” in modern medicine for this.
Can you imagine that?!

Now, I do know this in part may not, be able to stay posted here, because I have declared a cure that didn’t entail a prescription drug that did so, but I’m hoping freedom of speech is applicable for me as a guest on your site. I know what fermented foods can do for us, first hand and want others to know it too. I’m feeling confident this recipe you have posted here will also help in many ways…..even if unforeseen as yet.

Thank you so much for your website and most of all, the recipe you have shared here for us to use.