I have acquired quite an appreciation for a really good barbecue sauce, having worked at a restaurant known for its ribs many moons ago. Years ago, I watched a feature on the Food Channel about barbecue. It was a national contest and I learned quite a great deal about how to approach making the best ribs ever. Starting with the way the meat is prepared, to the rub, what you call the ‘mop’, and the sauce. I mentally noted many things from that episode and finally came up with my own version of my favorite kind of barbecue sauce. I try to make all sauces at home along with salad dressings since the store-bought ones are loaded with sugar and ingredients you really do not want to consume. Everything can be made so much healthier at home!
This sauce is easy to whip up, freezes well and you could even can it for longer shelf storage. Give the recipe a try and let me know what you think!
- 2 - 6 oz cans organic tomato paste
- ¼ -1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons molasses or a darker honey
- 4 tablespoons organic brown sugar or muscavado sugar or a darker honey
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder (or more to taste)
- 4 - 6 tablespoons butter
- Homemade chicken stock
- Empty the 2 cans of tomato paste into a saucepan.
- Fill each can with water or stock and add to the paste.
- Whisk together to incorporate.
- Add the sugars and spices.
- Turn the heat on high, bring to a boil and then turn down and let simmer on low 20-30 minutes for ﬂavors to infuse and for the sauce to cook down a bit.
- Add the butter as it simmers.
- This makes a very thick sauce. You can thin it out to your own personal preference.
This sauce is meant to be used as a dipping sauce, which is why I prefer it rather thick, as are most Kansas City style sauces. If you can’t ﬁnd chipotle powder near you, you can order some online here.
Summer is best when you enjoy lots and lots of barbecues. Even better yet, enjoy them with a healthier homemade barbecue sauce that everyone will rave about!
*Disclaimer: This blog post may contain Amazon and other affiliate links and should you purchase through them will not affect your price and all proceeds go towards the cost of maintaining this website. Thank you!
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get our