I have acquired quite an appreciation for a really good barbecue sauce, having worked at a restaurant known
This sauce is easy to whip up, freezes well and you could even can it for longer shelf storage. Give the recipe a try and let me know what you think!
- 2 - 6 oz cans organic tomato paste
- 1/4 -1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons molasses or a darker honey
- 4 tablespoons organic brown sugar or muscavado sugar or a darker honey
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder (or more to taste)
- 4 - 6 tablespoons butter
- homemade chicken stock
- Empty the 2 cans of tomato paste into a saucepan.
- Fill each can with water or stock and add to the paste.
- Whisk together to incorporate.
- Add the sugars and spices - turn the heat on high, bring to a boil and then turn down and let simmer on low 20-30 minutes for ﬂavors to infuse and for the sauce to cook down a bit.
- Add the butter during the simmer.
- This makes a very thick sauce, you can thin it out to your own personal preference.
This sauce is meant to be used as a dipping sauce, which is why I prefer it rather thick, as are most Kansas City style sauces.
If you can’t ﬁnd chipotle powder near you, try looking for it through Frontiercoop.com., it is worth getting your hands on! (cover photo credit)
Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon? There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!
Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!