Banana Caramel Sticky Buns (Gluten-Free & Grain-Free)

by lydia on September 24, 2011

Something about the name ‘caramel sticky buns’ just gets me salivating and gives me the warm fuzzies. I think of the tempting smell of a Cinnabon shop in the mall in all it’s enticement when I think about sticky buns. I am reminded of Sunday mornings when my mom made a huge tray of homemade sticky buns. It’s a nostalgic treat of that past that no longer graces my life due to the simple fact it’s purely not a healthy option in any way. However, recipes can be remade to be nourishing and thankfully someone created this amazing recipe for Banana Caramel Sticky Buns. I can not take credit for the following recipe, it comes from the cookbook, ‘Internal Bliss‘ a GAPS cookbook. GAPS is a dietary protocol that focuses on healing the gut through eliminating gluten, grains, starches and most sugars from the diet. Thankfully, this recipe does not compromise taste, and all four of my boys gladly enjoy them.

In my home, Saturday mornings often begin with a big slow home cooked breakfast. I like to break it up every now and again and offer a sweeter baked good as a treat for the boys. Not wanting to compromise health by baking, I choose to bake with lots of good fats, eggs, lower sugar and always gluten free. I feel very good about serving these sticky buns to my kids as they are loaded with good nutrition and easy on the digestion.

Banana Caramel Sticky Buns (Gluten-Free & Grain-Free)
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast

• 1 large very ripe banana, mashed
  • 6 pastured eggs, lightly beaten
  • ⅓ cup melted ghee, butter or coconut oil
  • ½ cup honey
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract, preferably homemade or gluten-free
  • ⅔ cup coconut flour
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • Topping:
  • 1 cup crispy pecans or walnuts, chopped
  • ¼ cup honey
  • ¼ cup ghee or butter
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp coconut flour
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix all ingredients for buns with a wire whisk.
  3. Evenly pour into a well-greased 12 cup muffin pan. Do not use paper muffin liners.
  4. Mix all ingredients for topping with a fork. Crumble topping on buns.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through.
  6. Cool about two minutes and then run a knife around each bun to loosen from pan. Immediately remove from muffin tin to a wire rack to finish cooling.
  7. The topping will set as they cool.

I highly recommend the cookbook ‘Internal Bliss’ to anyone who needs to eat gluten/grain-free, lactose -free or sugar-free. All the recipes I have tried have been good. I often make modifications to many recipes I use and do not find the need to do so with these recipes. Believe me, it is hard to come by really tasty grain free baked goods, so this book is a real blessing! I am not financially benefiting from promoting this book either, I really believe in the premise and am truly satisfied with all the recipes I have tried.

This post contributed to Real Food Wednesdays and Monday Mania.

Betteanne~ September 24, 2011 at 11:43 am

Thank you!!!

Christy, The Simple Homemaker November 3, 2011 at 3:31 pm

YUM!!! Thank you! My semi-GAPSer can ALMOST eat these. She’ll be excited when I show them to her. She’s a bit nervous about going back fully on GAPS in January, but with recipes like THIS…she’ll be thrilled! :)

lydia November 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Yes she will love them – all four of my boys love them! Enjoy!

Melody April 26, 2012 at 9:00 am

With a name like that, I almost didn’t even look at the recipe! But I can’t wait to try them!

TheStewartsRock January 11, 2013 at 9:39 am

I tried this recipe this morning, and I cannot even SAY how good they are! Well, done! My 2 year old son gobbled his up, and he is the ultimate taste tester. I am glad to find such a delicious treat with healthy, non-processed ingredients. I’ll check out Internal Bliss as well. Thank you!

lydia February 3, 2013 at 9:41 am

Glad you enjoyed them!

Alicia March 20, 2013 at 8:56 am

These were awesome! My whole family loved them yesterday for breakfast! they even looked as good as your picture. Thank you!

lydia March 20, 2013 at 8:57 am

That’s great to hear Alicia!

Debra E May 2, 2013 at 9:36 am

My girls loved this! I cut way down on the honey so it wouldn’t be so high in carbs for my diabetic daughter (3 tbsp. for the muffin and 1 tbsp. for the topping). It was still higher in carbs than I would have liked at 13 carbs per muffin so I may cut down even further in the future, but they still really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing this Lydia!

Ivy September 5, 2015 at 12:11 am

Can i use egg substitutes like psylliumhusks or flax meal to replace the eggs?

lydia September 8, 2015 at 7:56 am

No, those won’t work with coconut flour. I have only once done a coconut flour based baked good with some success using gelatin a long time ago but it didn’t hold together quite as well.

cookie September 9, 2015 at 10:03 am

Thanks for the recipe. My first time using coconut flour and it was well worth it. These buns were rich and light. I used a 6 muffin texas pan and the quantity was just right. Chop nuts finely or 1/2 will fall off when you turn them out.

LL October 1, 2015 at 11:44 pm

This recipe is a masterpiece. Even my husband has made these. Unbelievably good.