Homemade Protein Shake Alternative

by lydia on September 23, 2011

I don’t know about you, but I often am rather ravenous after a workout. So ravenous in fact that I want something fast and very nourishing. I often choose a smoothie because it can be very refreshing as well as satiating. This recipe is kind of my go to smoothie of choice, it’s my tried and true, stand by my side, favorite smoothie. If using dairy, or whey protein powder it’s a great way to get some quick protein in after a lifting session. A far better option that those protein shakes you can purchase or most protein powders from GNC or other grocery stores. Using real whole foods is always the better choice!

CherrySmoothie-4

Homemade Protein Shake Alternative
Author:
Recipe type: Beverage

• 1 cup organic berries (I almost always use strawberries)
  • 1 cup organic full fat coconut milk, or coconut kefir or if you are consuming dairy, raw milk, cream or kefir
  • 1 heaping spoonful raw almond butter or other nut butter
  • 1-2 whole raw pastured eggs (or just the yolks as raw whites can be difficult to digest for some, feel free to add even more egg yolks)
  • 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
  • 1 date, chopped (optional)
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • 2 probiotic capsules (if not using the kefir)
  1. Add the berries, coconut milk or kefir, almond butter and chopped date to a blender.
  2. Blend on high speed until well combined.
  3. While blender is still running add in the oils, the probiotics (and the supplements if you are using them) and lastly the eggs.
  4. Try to only blend the eggs for a few seconds.
  5. Pour into a glass and drink!

Additional options – sometimes I empty a zinc capsule into my smoothies, some balanced amino acids or some liquid b-complex depending on how I am feeling that day! Smoothies are a great way to sneak in some supplements and good fats as needed! You could also add a small amount of some fresh pressed green juice as well or powdered greens (such as NutriGreens or NuMedica greens). Great Lakes Gelatin or Bernard Jensen gelatin would be a great addition for protein as well as an awesome benefit for gut health (read more here). Add a tablespoon or two to your smoothie in place of the egg whites.  A really high quality whey protein powder could also be added to this smoothie as well to obtain more protein if you can’t tolerate egg whites. The possibilities are endless, play around with it and see what works for you!

(photo credit)

Meagan September 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I do this for lunch or dinner!

Julie September 24, 2011 at 10:43 am

Perfect timing! I’ve been struggling with breakfasts – the almond butter is a great idea. Will get some when I’m out today. Thank you!

acacia September 27, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Hi,
I am not sure if i am comfortable eating raw eggs. Can you cook/boil them and then add them to the smoothie?

Thank you.

lydia September 27, 2011 at 6:31 pm

What are you not comfortable with? If you are getting fresh eggs from a healthy pastured chicken there is no reason to worry. That said, I supposed you could add cooked egg yolks to the smoothie if you want – but I think raw eggs have all the nutrients in tact and are far more healthful that way. I do it all the time and have never once gotten sick. We have been conditioned in our culture to believe that we will automatically get salmonella from raw chicken anything, which is not a full truth – it can happen, but the chicken has to be sick and fed a poor diet.

Tom October 3, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I love this smoothie recipe Lydia, thanks for sharing. Can I post this to our company fan page? Personally, I add a high quality grass fed whey protein because it has so many beneficial health qualities besides adding protein. We produce probably the highest quality whey supplement available today called Action Whey.

lydia October 3, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Yes feel free to share the recipe Tom!

erin January 16, 2012 at 5:29 pm

This might be a dumb question, but how do you know if you can’t tolerate egg whites? Will it make you feel sick, have an allergic reaction, or what?

Angela August 1, 2012 at 8:26 am

What does the date provide?

lydia August 1, 2012 at 10:40 am

Angela,

The date is optional, but it adds a bit of sweetness without using actual sweeteners. Dates also have loads of nutrients, so I don’t mind adding one here and there even though they are high in sugars (1.4 oz of dates has around 31 grams of carbs)

Katie Anderson March 24, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Getting a good and healthy smoothie into you diet can really help all your systems stay in balance. I know some people add supplements into it that can even enhance the taste and nutritional value. Looking at some of these smoothies is making me thirsty! I think I;ll go make one right now.