How to Sneak More Liver Into Your Diet

by lydia on December 15, 2011

Any real foodie or traditional food fan knows the immense value of incorporating liver or organ meats into their diet. This doesn’t necessarily help them get over the ‘how’ to actually do that. Most people have to wrap their minds around the idea for awhile before they get up the nerve to try and then often don’t enjoy their first experience with it. Then they’ll feel saddened by this and that package of liver will sit around in the freezer for ages while they mull over how on earth they will get to like eating liver. If this describes you, have no fear! There is indeed a simple way to include liver in your diet without the overwhelming ‘livery’ taste. Some people love it and they are the lucky ones. But for those who really just don’t, this tip will save you anymore angst over the liver conundrum.

Liver-Cube-3

Liver is very easy to come by, and very affordable. So it would be a shame to not try and get it into your regime. The best and easiest way is to simply puree the fresh or thawed liver in a food processor, pour it into ice cube trays, freeze and bag up the cubes. So, anytime you make a soup, stew, or ground meat dish or casserole, take out a couple of cubes and add them in. No one will even know it’s there except you. You will have stretched the meat in the meal just that much further, as well as add some powerful nutrients. Over time as you get used to just a couple of cubes you can add more. This will help you detect the liver flavor only slightly and help you adjust to the taste. Then, who knows, you may be ready to tackle straight up liver and onions!

Liver-Cube-1

• Fresh or frozen liver, from a healthy pastured animal

Using kitchen shears, cut the liver into small chunks and place in the food processor. Puree until not quite smooth, with some chunks remaining, almost the texture of ground beef. Using a spoon scoop out the puree and fill ice cube trays. Place in freezer for several hours. Remove frozen cubes from ice cube trays using a table knife,  or by gently running the back of the ice cube trays under warm water. Place in freezer bags and label.

Approximately 5 cubes = 4 ounces of liver. Prior to using in a dish, make sure to completely thaw your liver cubes. I recommend adding up to 4 ounces per 1 lb of ground beef at the most per meal to avoid the obvious taste of liver permeating your dish. Be sure to add them in at the END of the cooking time, to avoid overcooking them and to maximize the nutrients in the liver.

Liver-Cube-2

For the best deal on liver, purchase a side of beef, pork or lamb. Often times people do not want the organ meats and you can ask for them all. Usually the butcher will happily oblige. The cubes can be made from any organ meat – it’s a great way to use them if you don’t know what else to do with them. In my mind, not only is liver like taking a supplement in your foods, it’s a total budget stretcher! (*Note* – the cubes can also be thawed and added to your pet’s food dish if you have a cat or dog.)

What are you waiting for – go get some liver and try this at home! Are there other ways you have found to get organ meats into your diet in a palatable way that anyone could enjoy? Please share in the comments.

Ann December 15, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Loved this post!… I’m still mustering up the nerve, but finally ready to take the liver plunge because I know it’s so nutritious. Those liver cubes are the PERFECT trick.

Teresa January 16, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I keep liver cubes in my freezer at home, too. I add 1 to each batch of smoothie (with an extra dose of honey) – to be divided among 3 kids. I figure that’s 7 cubes they’re consuming in a week. Plus the 3 or 4 cubes I’ll add to ground meat (salisbury steak, spaghetti, meatloaf, etc.) Not bad. We’re still not ready for straight up liver and onions, but I’m working on getting us there. :)

lydia January 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm

That’s awesome Teresa! I’ve done the liver and onions and only one of my kids LOVED it. The other ate a few bites and then didn’t want it anymore. I don’t even love it, so it’s hard for me to bring myself to make it often. I like this method, I like pate, mousse and I love beef heart!

Tammy Rodriguez February 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm

well.. i don’t think that would work here… i like liver.. but hubby does NOT. he will, however, take desicatted liver… if i put it into capsules for him (which i do) :)

Catherine May 31, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I hope this is not a stupid question, but I have liver frozen in fridge. Can I defrost it, puree it, and then refreeze it? Is it safe to refreeze? Are there nutrients lost?

lydia August 14, 2012 at 8:07 am

Catherine, Yes you can!

Angela August 14, 2012 at 8:00 am

I have the same question as Catherine… And liver in smoothies? It’s okay raw??

lydia August 14, 2012 at 8:08 am

Yes it is okay raw and in smoothies Angela!

D'ANN October 5, 2012 at 2:20 am

I have a recipe called “My Kids Love Liver” (I think. It came from a cookbook and I don’t remember which cuz it was 20+ years ago.) You use CALVE’S LIVER (milder taste, I think) and you slice it into skinny strips about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long, dip it in beaten egg, dredge it in flour, cook in oil (I use coconut oil) and EAT IMMEDIATELY. Cook at a high enough temp to brown the outside quickly but not make the inside very done…it gets dry and mealy when overcooked. Every kid I ever tried it on liked it. So did a vegan who was severly anemic and desperate. For this to work, you have to practically eat it at the stove top, but it works! BTW, no onions needed. LOL I like to get two pans going; one for the liver and one for similarly prepped zucchini strips.

sylvia king October 16, 2012 at 10:54 am

I can only eat liver in the form of pate with lots of bacon, port, brandy and cream.
There are also country sausage pate where only half of the recipe is liver and may appeal more to people who struggle to eat plain liver. Thanks for the great tips.

lydia March 13, 2014 at 8:15 am

Sylvia,

My kids like the country sausage – I haven’t figured out to make it yet, but can get it from my farmer’s market! So, yay!

{ 1 trackback }