Are you in? After some interest from a reader, I decided to post on the benefits of oil pulling. It quickly turned into a desire to do this practice regularly, coupled with the desire to work in tandem with others like minded. Thus, the Oil Pulling Challenge was born!
For the entire month of February (or whatever month you end up stumbling upon this post) those who are interested will practice the technique of oil pulling daily. The idea is to see how it affects overall health by turning it into a habit. I have personally enjoyed the quick benefits of oil pulling, now I want to take it deeper. If you’d like to join in, feel free!
Here’s what we will do. Every time you oil pull, come back to this post and write a comment. Best to go ahead and bookmark this post. I’ll also post regular reminders on Facebook, so go ahead and ‘LIKE’ Divine Health on Facebook if you haven’t already. The challenge will continue for the month of February. I will select a winner through random.org, to win a prize of which I haven’t yet decided. Thoughts anyone? (keep comments on prize ideas to Facebook please!) Ultimately, the focus is really going to be on establishing this healthful practice into your daily regime. I also hope you will share any testimonies to it’s effects as you take this challenge. Hopefully, it won’t be too challenging but will be more fun instead!
READ THE HOW TO FROM ‘WHAT’S ALL THIS ABOUT OIL PULLING?’
That all said, let’s review some guidelines for the practice of oil pulling.
1. Oil pulling is a gentle and safe way to detoxify the body for the most part. It is perfectly safe during pregnancy and nursing. If at any time you feel too much of a detox reaction, simply cut back a bit until you are comfortable again. Build back into it slowly.
2. Possible contraindications are for those with mercury/amalgam fillings. This really is mostly a concern if your fillings are loose or have any pre-existing damage to them. The possibility of them coming out altogether is very unlikely. If you are concerned about doing this with the fillings, consult a holistic dentist. Take it on slowly and monitor carefully.
3. Do not gargle the oil in the throat. The oil is meant to be slowly swished in the mouth only. Try to actually ‘pull’ the oil throughout your mouth. Keep your chin tilted if possible or at least for part of the time to ensure you are reaching your back molars with the oil. Relax, this shouldn’t hurt your jaw or tire your mouth out. Just take it slow and be relaxed.
4. Oil Pull first thing in the morning upon awakening. This is the best time of day to do it, so if you only plan to do it once per day, this is the time you should do it. Wait 4 hours after eating before oil pulling again. You may eat directly after oil pulling, no need to wait. Also, wait one hour after drinking anything other than water.
5. For more of a detox effect oil pull up to 3 times per day. For less of a detox, do it once per day or skip a day here and there.
6. Preferably, if you are doing this daily you should spit the toxic oil into the trash so as to not create any build up in your sink or toilet. If spitting in sink, wash immediately with some type of antibacterial cleaner, because the spittle contains harmful bacteria and toxic bodily waste. If one were to see one drop of this liquid magnified 600 times under a microscope, one would see microbes in their first stage of development. (source – Oil Pulling )
7. The best oils to use are unrefined cold pressed sunflower seed oil or sesame seed oil. Good quality brands include; Flora, Hains, Loriva, Mitoku, Mountain Rose Herbs, Omega Nutrition, Rejuvenative Foods, Spectrum, Tropical Traditions & Wilderness Family Naturals. It is not known for certain that any other oil is as effective as sesame and sunflower.
8. DISCLAIMER: If you have any cause for concerns to your health please consult with your Doctor or Dentist beforehand. The information contained in this post is not intended as medical advice. You should always discuss any medical treatment with your Health Care Provider.
For further understanding or questions regarding the practice of oil pulling, go to OilPulling.com.
We will start tomorrow February 1st. Be sure to stop back at this post and comment every time you oil pull. Also feel free to comment on any health benefits you are seeing. Please refrain from asking questions in the comments of this post. You can email me @ email@example.com OR comment on the posts on Divine Health’s page on Facebook. I will announce the winner on March 7th, you will have 48 hours to contact me. Be sure to register for comments on this post so you will know who the winner is when announced!
Let the games begin!
THE WINNER IS ……………… LW! CONGRATULATIONS LW, I WILL BE EMAILING YOU! THE PRIZE IS A BOTTLE OF WILDERNESS FAMILY NATURALS SESAME OIL!
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED! YOU MADE THIS CHALLENGE FUN AND INSPIRING TO BOOT – I LOVE ALL YOUR ENTHUSIASM AND DEDICATION TO YOUR HEALTH THROUGH THIS CHALLENGE! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!