Crispy Chicken Livers

by lydia on February 16, 2012

In an effort to consume more liver in my diet, I knew I needed to come up with a more palatable option, not only for myself, but my kiddos! In paging through my many cookbooks one day while looking for meal inspiration, I came across what looked like a winner! Crispy Chicken Livers. The recipe was touted to be the most requested recipe of a restaurant in my area, so I thought I’d give it a try. Of course many tweaks were necessary, considering it needed to be gluten free as well as use healthy appropriate fats. Additionally, I prefer my liver pieces very small, so I don’t have to chew on a big ole piece of liver. Yeah, I still have liver texture issues. BUT, that said, all in all this recipe is a keeper! And yes, you can pass this one over on the kids. Just tell them it’s like a kind of healthier homemade chicken nugget. The balsamic reduction sauce is what will really win you over in this recipe!

Crispy Chicken Livers

Crispy Chicken Livers
Author:
Recipe type: Main Dish

• 1 pound of organic pastured chicken livers
  • Raw milk
  • 1 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup organic cane sugar or honey (I used honey)
  • Ghee, coconut oil or lard
  • A few tablespoons of arrowroot, seasoned however you like (some salt, garlic powder, pepper) ½ cup organic dried cherries, unsulphured
  • Crispy walnuts, pine nuts or pepitas
  • Mesclun
  • Organic grape or cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
  1. Soak the livers in milk, 30 minutes to 2 hours.
  2. Heat the balsamic vinegar and sugar or honey to a simmer and cook until liquid is reduced by half and has reached a syrupy consistency.
  3. Heat fat of choice in a cast iron skillet over moderate heat.
  4. Remove the livers from the milk and pat dry, cut livers into bite sized pieces. Dust the livers with the arrowroot mixture.
  5. Fry the livers in the skillet for 3 minutes on each side until crispy. Remove from skillet to a paper towel.
  6. Create the salad in a large bowl with the greens, tomatoes, cherries and nuts or seeds of choice. Toss the salad with the sauce.
  7. Plate the salad and add livers to individual salad plates.
  8. You can go ahead and toss the liver pieces in when you do all the other ingredients, but I like to keep them nice and crispy personally.

This post contributed to Traditional Tuesdays.

Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon?  There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!

Molly February 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I’ve got a liver texture issue too, ugh. Next time I order livers from our co-op I will have to try this! Ours come in 5 pound pkgs so its hard to find stuff to do with them. This sounds really tasty! What does the milk soak do for them?

Molly

lydia February 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Molly,

The milk can help to keep them very tender and reduce the bitter minerally taste of the liver. You can also soak in lemon juice.

Molly February 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Thanks! I was thinking that might be the reason. My kids might be more inclined to eat them then. Hubby, only if I don’t tell him what it is.

molly

ann February 19, 2012 at 10:31 am

A polish woman recently came into WF and said balsamic vinegar is the secret to a good liver.

I hate the texture too. Agh! Creeps me out just thinking of it! I think this recipe will help me get over some issues though! Thanks for sharing :)

lydia May 5, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Ann – have you tried this recipe yet? Inquiring minds want to know!

mary February 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I love chicken livers cooked with coconut oil, butter, bacon fat, onions and topped with yogurt – though i read somewhere calcium inhibits iron absorption.
why would you soak them in milk first?

lydia May 5, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Mary – it helps to tenderize the livers and take away any ‘off-tastes’ -they turn out great when soaked first!

Cassi February 19, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Thanks! need new and tasty liver recipes as well. Still smuggling it into taco meat and chili over here. Though two kids will eat up any liver, even raw lamb. Love those two- the baby LOVES liver, but she’s only 9 1/2 months, so it may change. For me and hubby, smuggling has been the best method, and sausage, but this might work for all of us crispy fried food lovers.

Sherry M October 16, 2012 at 8:03 am

This utilizes the top three things to make it possible to eat something you don’t especially like. #1 small pieces #2 crispy fried #3 balsamic reduction. You can get down almost anything this way!

lydia October 16, 2012 at 8:48 am

This is very true Sherry!!

Amy June 3, 2014 at 2:56 am

Will soaking the livers in milk reduce the bioavailability of its iron content since calcium inhibits iron absorption? That would defeat my purpose of consuming liver.

lydia June 3, 2014 at 10:25 am

Amy,

That is a great question!
Yes, calcium does inhibit iron absorption. A little bit of milk to soak isn’t going to cause a major issue- plus there is no heating involved in the soaking. However, since I am entirely unsure of the true impact you can certainly soak the liver overnight in lemon juice instead and it will have the same impact as using milk!