My new friend and classmate, Krista kindly agreed to share a recipe. And boy, does it look like a good one! Considering I love lamb and I love wraps that I don’t have to use a grain or starch, this recipe excites me big time!
I have always been slightly wary of using a cabbage leaf as a wrap. Since the New Year, I have been 100% committed to a gluten-free lifestyle, and so I decided to bite the bullet and actually try it. I wish I hadn’t waited as long as I did, because they were delicious! I was expecting a wilted texture and an earthy taste, but instead it was quite durable and delicious! Paired with ground lamb (or any other grass-fed ground meat you may have) it was a meal that I will certainly make again. Not to mention, the leftovers were just as tasty! ~ Krista (Find more of Krista’s recipes and writings at her blog; KB Health – Spreading the Word About Real Food)
- Coconut Oil
- ½ onion
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 whole cabbage leaves
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Any random veggies you are wanting use up ! (optional)
- age leaves ahead of time so that this is quick and easy.
- *inspired by Heart of Cooking’s egg and grain-free breakfast burrito
- 1. Steam 8 whole cabbage leaves. Be sure to let them dry on a towel before filling them.
- 2. Sauté the onion in the coconut oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
- 3. Add ground meat, oregano and cumin and any other vegetable you wish to add. Cook, stirring occasionally to break up the meat, until the meat is cooked through. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Garnish with fresh cilantro if you have it on hand.
- 5. Place on steamed cabbage leaf, wrap, and enjoy!
I’ve made this recipe several times for my family of four boys and they absolutely LOVE it! It’s uber messy for the littler ones, but they gobble it up happily. It has become a go-to recipe for ground lamb in my home.
Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon? There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!
Lydia Joy Shatney is a certified Nutritional Therapist Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association. Additionally, she is the chapter leader for the Weston A. Price Foundation in Delaware County, Pa. (Find the group here on Facebook). Lydia is also a member of the Nourished Living Network. Lydia founded Divine Health From The Inside Out in March of 2010. You can find Lydia on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. Sign up for the Divine Health From The Inside Out newsletter! Pick up a copy of Lydia’s eBook; ‘Divine Dinners: Gluten-Free, Nourishing, Family-Friendly Meals’.
Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Lydia also offers 3 online course: Heal Your Gut, Get Healthy To Lose Weight and A Calm Mind. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!