I am so excited to bring this post today, because my friend Julie is sharing her recipe for carrot cake! I haven’t made carrot cake in AGES, simply because I haven’t had the time to come up with my own recipe. Now I don’t have to! My friend Julie is one of those
‘So, my good friend Lydia has been asking me to share a recipe for ages now. I’m finally getting around to it! This recipe is a family favorite around here; we’ve used it for birthdays, holidays, and just because. My oldest daughter absolutely loves it! When we started changing our diet a few years ago I started learning to convert some of my recipes. This carrot cake is grain-free and gluten-free, not to mention much lower in sugar. It is dense and moist and satisfies all the carrot cake lovers in my life, even the ones who normally eat ‘regular’ food. The icing I used this time was strained raw milk kefir (thickened to an icing consistency) lightly sweetened with raw honey and flavored with vanilla extract. I most often use a basic cream cheese icing and will post a recipe for that as well.’
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar (for an even moister cake you may use honey instead)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 cups grated carrots ( I used a food processor)
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 8 oz. block of cream cheese, softened (or 1 cup homemade yogurt cheese)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey (or to taste)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 2 nine inch cake pans very well.
- Place all dry ingredients in large bowl and whisk together until there are no lumps.
- Whisk eggs, butter, and milk together. Add to dry ingredients and stir well.
- Stir in carrots, coconut, and nuts (if using).
- Divide batter between the 2 cake pans and bake in oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before removing carefully from pans, cool completely before icing.
- For the Cream Cheese Icing:
- Beat cream cheese and butter together until completely combined. Add honey and vanilla and beat well.
Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon? There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!
Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone, Skype or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!