My kitchen is bursting with plenty of the following three items; tomatoes, basil and summer squash. In trying to find unique and delicious ways to utilize all three, I came up with this fabulous meal idea. Creamy lemon chicken with garden fresh tomatoes and basil served over summer squash ‘noodles’. This was so amazingly good, I ate it for 3 days straight, even cold right out of the fridge. I was in heaven – I’d have to consider this true comfort food for summer! Indeed.
If you have ever made ‘noodles’ from zucchini, use the same method to make squash noodles. I use a cool tool, called a julienne peeler, that makes even strips for delicate ‘noodles’, then I just blanch the strips in boiling salted water for two minutes. Here is my recipe for ‘Zucchini Pasta with Basil Butter’ for the exact directions.
- 1 -2 Tbsp. ghee, coconut oil or lard
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic (or 2 large cloves)
- 1½ cups heavy cream or sour cream
- 3 lemons
- 1 pound of chicken (grilled, broiled, or leftover from a roast chicken sliced)
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated good quality Parmesan (optional)
- 1 quart grape or cherry tomatoes, halved OR 4 cups diced tomatoes
- Heat the fat of choice in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, and cook for 60 seconds, then add the cream, the zest and juice of 2 of the lemons, 2 tsp. of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until it starts to thicken.
- If you are using already cooked chicken leftover from a roast chicken, toss the sliced or shredded chicken into the sauce within the last few minutes to heat the chicken.
- When sauce is close to done, stir in the tomatoes and basil.
- Serve alone or over summer squash 'noodles' and garnish with the cheese and lemon slices (from that 3rd lemon) and more basil.
- This makes for amazing leftovers, in my opinion they are even good cold right from the fridge! Enjoy!
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get