Beet Kvass: A Blood Tonic & Liver Cleanser

by lydia on August 5, 2012

Beet kvass, a fermented Russian beverage made out of beets, is a wonderful tonic served more for it’s medicinal effect rather than it’s taste. Beets have a tremendous regenerating effect on the body, and for those recovering from digestive ailments beets help to can be used a digestive aid. It is an excellent tonic for the blood as it alkalizes the blood, promotes regularity, cleanses the liver and is a good treatment for kidney stones. ~ Nourishing Traditions

Beet juice or beet kvass is also helpful in healing the gallbladder, or important for those without a gallbladder as it helps to thin out the bile. If the bile is too thick the liver and gallbladder get congested and problems start to occur. The betaine in beets is what aids digestion, as well as helps to promote healthy stomach acid and juices. The nice thing about drinking beet kvass is you get all the nutritive value of the beets without all the sugar content. Beets are also loaded with minerals, fermenting them only enhances their nutritive properties.

Liver-Tonic

Those of you who have been following my site know that I switched my fermentation vessels to anaerobic vessels, no more mason jar ferments for me. There are many reasons for that, but for now, suffice it to say, I feel they are the most optimal to get the most benefit out of my ferments. I have also noticed a difference in improved health since my switch. This switch means I now have to change my recipes a bit. Using an anaerobic system, requires much less salt (total bonus right there), and does not require any type of starter for the most part. These jars are also in liters versus quarts. My original recipe for beet kvass was for a one gallon vessel. Yes, I drink a lot of beet kvass! So, now I have had to adjust things a bit to work with the size of the new jars I have on hand, as well as using my own preference of adding lemon and ginger.

This is my beet kvass recipe adapted for an anaerobic vessel, the only method I now use.  Since I go through quite a lot of beet kvass I tend to use as large a vessel as possible. I recommend using at least a 3 liter vessel, this will provide you with 4 to 5 bottles of beet kvass. A good daily dose would be 4-8 ounces per day. Though I recommend you start with 2 ounces as a beginner and work your way up slowly.

Kvass-2

Beet Kvass

Ingredients:

• 4-5 small to medium beets, peeled and quartered (you want them cut this size, because you will use them in a second batch and will be cutting them in half)
  • 1.5 -2% brine (22.5 - 30 grams of salt to 1.5 liters of water)
  • juice of one lemon, or 1 whole lemon cut into quarters (optional)
  • 1 inch hunk of ginger, peeled and cut into a few pieces (optional)

Instructions:

1. Place the beets in your 1 1/2 liter jar, you want them to fill your jar about halfway
  2. Add enough brine to fill. Stir well. Clamp down the lid. Place the airlock into the lid and fill with 1 1/2 tablespoons of water.
  3. Cover the jar with a cloth and leave on the counter or in a cupboard covered to protect it from UV light.
  4. Ferment in a warm place (mid 70°F to low 80°F) for 7 to 9 days. You may see bubbles forming on the top. This indicates active cultures are thriving. Taste after several days.
  5. Transfer the beet kvass into wire stopper bottles, if desired add some grated ginger and the juice of one lemon divided into the bottles, let sit in a dark cupboard for one more week before moving to the fridge.
  6. Take the used beets and cut them in half and add back to your vessel. This time add a hunk of ginger and one lemon cut into wedges. Add brine to fill. Repeat process. The second brewing with the beets will be a bit different. Mine usually turn out a bit cleaner and more effervescent.
  7. (Simply double this recipe for a 3 liter vessel.)
  8. *Note - If you have purchased beets with greens make sure your beets have been detached from your greens for at least a week before using them. If you have ever had issues with Kahn yeast showing up (white foamy yeast at end of ferment) - you might want to add a teaspoon of sugar to the brine to provide enough food for the LABs.
  9. **Note: If your temperatures are lower than 70 degrees in the winter simply extend your initial ferment time to 10-14 days (this is about right for my kitchen).
  10. ***Note: To make a 2% brine, use 19 grams of fine grind sea salt per quart of water.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

The nice thing about this beet kvass is it will not be too thick or syrupy, it will not be salty, you do not have to use an inoculant such as whey (which actually skips fermentation steps and is not the right bacteria you want), or a starter culture (which can be costly). I know so many people who have been turned off by the beet kvass recipes out there, particularly the one in Nourishing Traditions (no offense, Sally Fallon but thank you for introducing me to beet kvass I owe you a debt of gratitude). I promise you will like this beet kvass if you give it a chance! I have been advised to let beet kvass age in the refrigerator after it is done fermenting on the counter for at least 3 weeks or more. This helps to give it more depth of flavor, reduce the salty taste and increase the healing benefits.  Give beet kvass a fair try before you give up on it, because I can’t even begin to tell you the immense benefits it will provide you with.

Kvass

I personally find that beet kvass helps balance my hormones and keep my skin clear. It is also a powerful intestinal mover!  There are many benefits to this healing tonic and I usually try to incorporate it into my diet each fall through spring on a daily basis. Read more about the health properties of beets – Beets: A Healthy Bile Builder.

New to anaerobic fermentation? Here are the jars I recommend – The Probiotic Jar.

Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon?  There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!

LydiaLydia Joy Shatney is a certified Nutritional Therapist Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association. Additionally, she is the chapter leader for the Weston A. Price Foundation in Delaware County, Pa. (Find the group here on Facebook). Lydia is also a member of the Nourished Living Network. Lydia founded Divine Health From The Inside Out in March of 2010. You can find Lydia on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. Sign up for the Divine Health From The Inside Out newsletter! Pick up a copy of Lydia’s eBook; ‘Divine Dinners: Gluten-Free, Nourishing, Family-Friendly Meals’.

Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!

Barbara August 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Hi..great post..i just purchased the pickl-it jars and completed my first batch of kvass. I did talk to the owner at pickl-it and i know she has changed her recipe and instructions. The beet kvass I made per her instructions actually fermented for 3 weeks on the counter and then went to the refrigerator. She is finding there is more good bacteria in the kvass when it ferments longer. just an FYI you might want to try

lydia August 16, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Barbara,

Thanks for pointing that out, I just got confirmation of this info. after reading your comment and will edit my recipe.

marion August 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

Your instructions call for 22.5-30 grams of salt, but later in the recipe you say 1 TBS.
Please clarify.

lydia August 21, 2012 at 9:32 am

Marion,

I apologize for the confusion, I just edited it, use the brine. I’ve also edited this recipe for a much longer ferment time after learning from the PI owner and a master brewer friend of mine, that kvass benefits from a much longer ferment than I originally thought. It also makes it less salty and more palatable and increases the healing effect of it. This is how I am brewing my beet kvass now and it’s been even better (and I already liked it before).

marion August 22, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Ok, after two weeks (or is it three weeks, as Barbara commented above?) on the counter, does the beet kvass still need to age in the fridge for another three weeks before using? I’ve never done this before and I just want to be clear on how to do it.

lydia August 22, 2012 at 5:12 pm

It does not need to ferment longer in the fridge after the initial ferment on the counter – though if you want to let it go longer in the fridge go for it -simply taste it first to see if you like it!

Melinda September 11, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Once you’ve put the Beet Kvass in the fridge in bottles, do you need to release the pressure in them each day? I’m assuming there would be a couple of bottles and it would take days/week to drink them all. Bit concerned about having a bottle explode or fountain out when opened….

Thanks.

lydia February 21, 2014 at 5:02 pm

No you do not need to do that – you could release the pressure before you transfer to the fridge though.

Amy September 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Do you have to move it into bottles after 2 weeks or can you continue to let it ferment in the pickle it for another week. I just hit the 2 week mark yesterday so want to make sure I am doing it right. Also in the beginning of my ferment I noticed some white foam like bubbles at the top of the liquid that has now turned brown and popped. Do you think this is still ok to use? Also what is the purpose of waiting one or more weeks after you have cut off the beet greens?

lydia September 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Amy, I would taste it now and see if you like it – if it’s still too salty for you, you can let it go longer. It you like it now then you can strain out the beets and bottle it for a second ferment. That is when I’d add flavor, such as lemon juice or ginger or both. The white foam is probably a harmless yeast called Kahm yeast—you can leave it or skim it. You may want to add a teaspoon of sugar to your next batch if this becomes an issue or try filling your jar with more beets, thus providing more sugar to feed the lactic acid bacteria.

lydia September 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm

oh and the reason you wait after you remove the tops is to concentrate the sugars in the beets so that your ferment has enough sugar to feed the lactic acid bacteria. Hope that helps!

Melinda September 15, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I was wondering why you had to remove the tops a week before making this up – I was thinking “Surely they’d be better straight out of the garden” but maybe not – most veg doesn’t convert sugar until after it’s harvested.

Amy September 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Thanks for all your help Lydia! I think I am going to try a second ferment with my next batch. I ran out of bottles and really wanted to get started with drinking it.

marion October 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hi Lydia,

Should I scoop out the bubbles that form on the top or should the pickl-it jar never be opened for three weeks?

Thanks, Marion

marion October 13, 2012 at 11:26 am

Success! OMG–my beet kvass is soooo delicious. I used three large beets, 30 gm. of Himalayan pink sea salt and left it on the counter for 12 days, at which point it had stopped bubbling and the beets were drifting to the top. I diluted 3 0z of the kvass with 3 0z of San Pellegrino water–it is fabulous! The consistency is thick and substantial. I’m hooked.

lydia October 13, 2012 at 3:36 pm

That’s great Marion! I am so so glad you love it! Yay for persistence!

simone December 23, 2012 at 5:31 am

hi Lydia,
what adjustments would I need to make if I dont have a pickl-it jar? I live in the UK, and havent been able to source them here. I attempted my first batch, let it ferment for 2 weeks, and found it so, so salty,I don\’t know if I can drink it…am trying a 2nd ferment by cutting the beets in half, using a cup of the original kvass, and filling my jar with water…should I leave the 2nd ferment out for 3 weeks? thanks alot.

lydia February 21, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Simone – try ordering The Probiotic Jar. You can refer to the banner in the post -let me know how that goes!

David February 2, 2013 at 9:42 pm

What size of Pickl-It jar do you now use? The 4 or 5 liter jar?

lydia February 3, 2013 at 9:03 am

I use a 3 liter David

Paula February 10, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Where cn I get the bottles?

lydia February 10, 2013 at 6:50 pm

The bottles for a second ferment Paula? You can get them at brewing supply stores, Ikea or use Grolsch bottles.

Lori February 10, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Hi! I really need some advice, my Beet Kvass was in the cupboard for 2 weeks, then bottled, back in cupboard for 1 week now in the fridge. I tried it and it’s salty. I liked it, but since I never tried Beet Kvass before, not sure what it should be like!! Will it get less salty after being in the fridge a while? If not, is it ok to drink it anyway??

lydia February 10, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Lori,

Put it in the fridge and forget about it for another week or two -then taste it again to see if it’s more palatable. It shouldn’t be salty, but more minerally and even a bit effervescent.

Tim February 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Try adding 2-3 apples, peeled, cored, shredded. Apple Beet Kvass !!

lydia February 21, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Sounds yummy Tim!

Sandy March 2, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Can you put them in any jars for the second ferment or does it have to be ones with the stoppers? I have two glass milk jugs that have snap on plastic lids, would that work? Or should I just forgo the 2nd ferment this time and try to get some bottles like that for the next round? Thanks!

lydia March 4, 2013 at 11:08 am

Personally, I’d wait to get the wire stopper bottles Sandy!

Jennie March 28, 2013 at 8:56 am

I’ve had my second round going for about 9 days in a pickl-it and this morning when I looked at it, there are 2 large white fuzzy circles on the top of the liquid, each about the size of 2-3 quarters. I assume that is mold? How did it get it there and/or how do I prevent it in the future? I set it up just like the first batch and that one did fine. Thank you!

lydia March 30, 2013 at 8:09 am

Jennie,

If you see a thin white film on the top of the kvass—this is likely a harmless yeast called Kahm yeast—you can leave it or skim it. You may want to add a teaspoon of sugar to your next batch if this becomes an issue or try filling your jar with more beets, thus providing more sugar to feed the lactic acid bacteria. It doesn’t sound like that to me though – I would probably pitch it and make sure you use enough beets next time. Also clean out your vessel really well. Are you brewing anaerobically? It’s easy to get mold in a non-airtight jar.

Jennie March 30, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I used the same beets to start a second batch like you mentioned above- cut them in 1/2 and put them in the pickl-it and set it up exactly the same way as the first time. I assume then it should be airtight? It isn’t foamy at all and doesn’t cover the surface. It looks fuzzy and is in 2 patches, so I assume it’s a mold- just puzzled as to how it would show up when using a pickl-it. Isn’t that supposed to be airtight and therefore prevent it? I think I will just toss it, just mostly curious how to prevent this again or if I did something wrong in the setup. I think I maybe only did a quick rinse and not a good scrub down when I took out that 1st batch and started the 2nd batch- so I could try that next time. Thanks for your feedback!

Lori April 1, 2013 at 10:39 pm

My first attempt at Kvass was great, both the first and second ferment. I just did another batch, the first one was fine, they’re now bottled in the wire stopper bottles. I did a second ferment and after about a week there was what I assume was yeast on top. I removed it and put a dash of sugar as instructed previously. But a few days later, more stuff on top and there were stringy bits (?). Needless to say I chucked it. Any idea what that was??

lydia February 21, 2014 at 5:05 pm

If it’s just white yeast it is likely Kahm yeast which is actually harmless and you can scrape it off and keep going. The stringy bits sound weird to me and I myself would likely pitch it too!

Sherri April 8, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I’m hoping you can help me. I have successfully made beet kvass per NT recipe in mason jars and have loved it! I recently invested in Pickl-it jars and did the beet kvass recipe from Pickl-it. Was I ever disappointed. The bubbles never stopped and went up into the air lock, which after 3 weeks started to mold in there. Not to mention it is impossible to get in there and clean the air locks. I’d really like to have success with my new jars, so if you can help any, I’d appreciate it. I have gotten no response from Pickl-it.

lydia April 18, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Sherri,

I’ve had active ferments overflow before – it’s usually because they are too full to begin with -which is why checking on them can help and removing the lid early on to clean it up would be good. Did it overflow in the fridge? I’m not sure what happened, maybe you can explain a little more as this particular situation has not happened to me with beet kvass before

Sherri April 18, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I made sure the jars weren’t too full, just filling to the shoulder. It wasn’t the liquid that overflowed, it was the bubbles. I get those same bubbles in the mason jars, too. I also questioned the length of time on the counter. N.T. recipe says 2-3 days, and sometimes mine take 4-5 if it’s really cold. I just keep checking using a straw until it’s the right taste. However, in the Pickl-it, the recipes says 3 WEEKS! So the bubbles I was seeing is the counter fermenting. The Pickl-it kvass never made it to the fridge. I chucked it. Smelled so bad after 3 weeks. And if I have to keep opening them up and cleaning out the airlock, this really defeats the whole purpose of the jar. Maybe I’m expecting too much from the Pickl-it, since I’ve had more than one questionable ferment happen now (it’s happened on at least 2 of the 3 jars, so it’s not just the jar). However, in my 7+ years of using mason jars I’ve never had a ferment go bad.

lydia April 19, 2013 at 9:56 am

I don’t leave my beet kvass on the counter to ferment for 3 weeks. Consider the temperature when you brewed – was it warm enough? 70-80 degrees? I wouldn’t fill the vessel entirely with beets either. The NT recipe uses whey which actually skips steps of fermentation – it’s not a good recipe or way to make kvass, plus in a mason jar you really do not know what is proliferating since it’s not airtight. I think this could be just a matter of tweaking and paying attention to a few details before starting the ferment. Sorry you are having trouble – I wouldn’t give up just yet though.

Lori April 19, 2013 at 11:17 am

I put my 2L Pickl-it Beet Kvass in the cupboard for 2 weeks. I wrap it in a tea towel to block light. Personally I only put about 1-2″ of chopped beet at the bottom, my 21 grams of salt and water to the shoulder. All but one 2nd ferment have come out perfectly. I then put the liquid in 1/2 litre wire stopper bottles, back in the cupboard for a week then into the fridge. So far YUM. Does it take less time during the summer?

Paula August 26, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I left my beet kvass on the counter and I wrapped in a towel blocking the light for five weeks. I just opened and the top had a little of black staff not a lot. In addition, the beets that were on the top turned black. I cleaned it and put the beets on the trash. I tasted the beet kvass and the taste is ok. I have two questions. Is it safe to drink? And can I reuse the other beets to make a second batch?
Thank you for your help.

Paula August 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I left my Pickl-it beet kvass on the counter for five weeks. I wrapped them in a towel to blocked the light. When I opened them today the top have a little of black staff and the beets that were on the top turned black. I removed the beets on the top and I cleaned the top. I have two questions. Is it safe to drink? Can I reuse the other beets for a second batch?
I tasted it and the taste is good. This is only the second time that I’m making beet kvass. Thank you in advance for your help!

lydia August 29, 2013 at 8:12 am

I would pitch the whole thing -clean your vessel really well and start over. Don’t consume it if it has black on it!

Micky September 6, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Ive made my first batches using a 5 liter and a 4 liter Fido jar. I had them on the floor of my kitchen however the instructions I was given did not say to cover it or keep it out of the sunlight. It’s now been about a week. There is funky bacteria looking foam on top. Is this still ok? Should I scoop out the foam. I’ve now thrown a banket over the jars. Micky

lydia January 13, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Micky

So sorry I missed this comment. I’m sure it’s too late by now -but in the future your ferment should be done anaerobically out of the light. Foam can be okay, and sometimes you may see some yeast which is called Kahn yeast that is totally harmless. It’s hard for me to say now what the problem might have been.

David January 12, 2014 at 5:46 pm

During the winter when the weather is colder, how you do keep the beet kvass warm enough? A heating pad?

lydia January 13, 2014 at 12:33 pm

David – I believe that there is no need to bother with heating mats for anything but kombucha. Kombucha is the only ferment (beside thermophilic yogurt) that needs to be warm. As long as your beet kvass is above 45 degrees (Fahrenheit), it will ferment but will just take longer at cooler temps. If the house is in the 60′s, I think leaving beet kvass out on the counter would be fine. For example my house stays at about 60 degrees at minimum during the winter. I brew my beet kvass in the cupboard for about a week, check the active bubbling -if it has stopped I move it to the fridge to finish. If there is still bubble activity I let it go another day or two before moving it to the fridge to finish the ferment time.

Hope that helps.

Paula January 13, 2014 at 3:46 pm

How long is the beet kvass good for? Can I drink it if I put it in the fridge three months ago? Thanks

lydia January 13, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Paula,

Yes, 3 months would be fine. The sugars in beets take a long time to get completely consumed by the bacteria -I can’t say for sure how long it would take for them all to be gone though. I have no sources to find that info. but my guess is that 3 to possibly 6 months would be fine. Any longer than that and the colony of bacteria might not have enough ‘food’ (aka: sugars) to feed on.

Joyce January 15, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I actually love the beet kvass recipe in Nourishing Traditions, and have been using it for years. My husband loves it too. The only thing we change about it is that it needs WAY more time to ferment than 2 days on the counter like the recipe says. ( 3-4 weeks near a heater). Maybe the reason people don’t like it is because they’re drinking mild beet water because it never had time to ferment :)!

lydia January 28, 2014 at 7:25 am

Joyce,

‘Mild Beet Water’ is a great way to put it. I do 3-4 weeks total ferment time about 7-10 days for the first ferment and then 2-3 weeks for the second ferment – you could potentially do it on the counter, but I put mine in the fridge for the second ferment (mostly due to space issues in my ferment cupboard). Near a heater I would just be careful to make sure the temps are not getting too high for your kvass.

Mariya January 25, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Wondering what is the purpose of bottling kvass in wire stopper bottles?Will glass bottles with screw lids work?
Wondering also …If the salt is not weighed by a gram scale and could be off by amount in one’s beet kvass could adding older kvass help the fermentation ?When exactly would you add it? ? ?

lydia January 28, 2014 at 7:21 am

Mariya,

Wire stopper bottles keep it airtight. You could do glass bottles with a capper like they do for beer. Screw on lids are okay but they do actually allow for air to still get in, so if you plan to store the kvass for any length of time the wire stopper bottles are your best bet.

Using older kvass is not necessary. To make a 2% brine, use 19 grams of fine grind sea salt per quart of water.

Cynthia February 27, 2014 at 9:16 am

This is my first time to make beet kvass. I just finished the week in a pickl it jar, and started on a second batch with the leftover beets from first batch. I’m wondering if I can drink it now or do I have to wait a week while in the stopper bottle? I tasted it and it is fairly salty. Do any stopper bottles work, or do you recommend a certain kind?

lydia February 27, 2014 at 9:21 am

Any wire stopper bottle should do -some are better than others. I like the ones I can get from a brewing supply company or reuse Grolsch bottles!

As for waiting, I’d wait longer if it still tastes salty to you.

Anonymous March 7, 2014 at 8:00 am

Thank you for your input! I waited a week and it’s less salty.

lydia March 8, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Glad to hear it!!

Brandy March 8, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I’ve never fermented anything because it seemed too unpredictable. Thanks for the info. I’m now going to get a probiotic jar and try making beet kvass!

lydia March 8, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Good for you Brandy! I hope you enjoy – let me know if you have any questions!

Debbie March 16, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Hello,

This is my first time trying to ferment anything and this seemed easy enough. I am using a mason jar for this and I added organic beets, filtered water, pink salt, and some whey. It’s been going for 7 days today and a few days in, I noticed some tiny bubbles on the top which I assumed was a good thing, but now they are gone. I opened it today to see how it tastes and since I have nothing to compare it to, it tastes like salty beet juice. I have seen another video where the person opened their jar and it started to rise up with fizz like a pop would do, but mine did not do that at all. Any suggestions for a newbie? Thank you.

lydia March 17, 2014 at 6:03 am

Debbie,

My beet kvass rarely has fizz -so don’t worry that you don’t have it. Your beet kvass will need to age a bit likely before it’s palatable. Did you read this post at all for suggestions? I don’t make my kvass with the same method you shared.

Debbie March 17, 2014 at 8:12 am

Lydia,

Thank you for your quick reply. I did read the way you prepare your kvass, and unfortunately for me it came after the recipe I stumbled upon elsewhere. I have never fermented anything before trying to this and I figured since I already had mason jars I’d give it go. I’ll wait and see how it turns out in a few more days and go from there. If I actually get the knack for this I will be buying what seems to be the proper jars/vessels for fermenting. Thank you.

lydia March 17, 2014 at 8:24 am

Debbie,

If you have any Grolsch type bottles you could strain your kvass and transfer it into them to store.

Debbie March 17, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Would it be best to let it ferment a little longer in the mason jar so that the really salty flavor mellows some…if it’s supposed to? Thank you.

lydia March 20, 2014 at 6:57 am

No, you can just go ahead and switch it to the wire stopper bottles and let it age in those.

Kandy March 19, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I believe I have fructose malabsorption and beets are on the “no” list. Any idea how long it would take to make this kvass and have most of the sugar used up? I desperately need a bile thinner. I have fatty liver disease, no gall bladder, had the sphincter of Oddi cut open, high cholesteral, and sludge in my bile duct. Worse, I have to take pills to keep my acid levels low in my stomach because of IBS-like symptoms. Anybody out there with FM ever tried this? Thanks!

lydia March 20, 2014 at 7:15 am

Kandy,

I don’t know for sure – but I know it takes at least a month for it to age and taste great for me. When you ferment things often you are reducing the sugars by at least 1/3 (generally speaking). All I can say is try it – start with maybe 2 ounces and see how you do. Everyone with fructose malabsorption will have different tolerance levels.

Or check out this post: http://divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com/2012/04/are-you-digesting-fats/

Lorna June 27, 2014 at 4:26 am

Thank you for the recipe. I have a suggestion for a money saving idea regarding the anaerobic fermentation vessel. All you have to do it drill a hole in a plastic mason jar lid, fit a gromit (rubber washer) and an airlock (both which you can buy cheap from a beer and wine making supplies) and hey presto, an anaerobic mason fermenting jar!

lydia June 27, 2014 at 7:51 pm

That is not an anaerobic jar though – a mason jar lid is meant to seal under pressure. I don’t recommend that method personally.

Lorna June 27, 2014 at 8:28 pm

But it should have an anaerobic environment. A tight seal around the thread and a “gas” escape? I can’t see the difference from the pickl- it jars? Have you tried it?

lydia June 29, 2014 at 11:37 am

There is a huge difference -mason jars were made to be sealed under pressure, just screwing the lid on tight does not mean they are airtight. A pickl-it or Probiotic Jar is airtight from the clamp down lid and seal. If you want to use the method you are sharing -go for it, but it is not truly anaerobic. I personally would rather have a better quality end results and than save a few pennies with a DIY jar. In the long run I think you save more in having the most optimal quality ferment and less waste.

Lorna June 29, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Ok, I take your point :)

Rita August 19, 2014 at 10:44 am

I am trying to start fermenting but I’m a tad confused about bacterial growth. I’ve been reading some of the material of Sandor Katz, some call him the guru of fermentation. He said the containers make no difference. He said no one has ever died from stuff growing on your ferments but he recommend skimming them off anyway. The idea of using less salt is very attractive to me, but I would like to start a batch today and not have to wait to order these special containers. My biggest concern is also, I want to make ginger beer and there is no salt for that…a recipe of ginger, water and sugar? Also I’ve read that I want bacterial to grow for my ginger beer. Am I just not understanding? Are we talking about separate issues here? I’m a bit confused. Thanks for your help.