Reasons to Use Apple Cider Vinegar: #1 Digestive Support

by lydia on September 6, 2012

Apple cider vinegar, I find, should be considered as a super food/cure all – therefore something to keep in every home pantry and ‘medicine’ cabinet. It has long been known by folk medicine as one of nature’s greatest healing agents. Apple Cider Vinegar has a ton of beneficial uses as a home remedy and healing tonic. Today, I’d like to discuss it’s use as a digestive support.

Got Indigestion? Heartburn? Gas? Bloating? Sip on some ACV……

Years ago, I used an apple cider vinegar as a daily tonic. I had a lot of digestive complaints, particularly bloating/gas and could not really digest a lot of protein and fat. Particularly beef. Apple cider vinegar helped me immensely during that time, until I got my digestion ironed out in other ways. Apple cider vinegar can help to support digestion by providing enzymes and certain acids. The enzymes help support those who do not produce enough enzymes on their own, an all too common issue in this modern day. Take some apple cider vinegar in water 15 minutes prior to meals to help get your digestive juices going (1 Tbsp. in a few ounces of water). This can help to prevent indigestion, gas or bloating. If you find you are already suffering from any of those complaints, sipping on a few ounces of water with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar can help. The healthy acids found in ACV, acetic, isobutryic, lactic and propionic acid can also support digestion by controlling the growth of unwanted bacteria and yeasts in the stomach and body. Many people today lack digestive enzymes and appropriate stomach acid and need all the digestive help they can get. I highly recommend adding apple cider vinegar to your daily routine if you regularly suffer from digestive complaints. For example, sipping on apple cider vinegar is a much better option than taking any kind of acid blocker (the stomach is actually an acid making machine, suppressing the acid is actually going to cause long term damage).

This is a simple helpful home remedy that can benefit anyone. Keep in mind there are usually deeper reasons as to why one may have indigestion, heartburn, gas, bloating. To find the root cause of your digestive issues it may be a good idea to delve a little deeper. (In this case you may consider working with me to help you get your foundations ironed out!)

Making Your Own Apple Cider Vinegar

I’ve never made my own apple cider vinegar, but my friend Melanie of Pickle Me Too has. She swears it’s super simple. I do hope to try it soon, hopefully this fall when I can get fresh local apple cider.  Here is her recipe for Apple Cider Vinegar – give it a try sometime! (above photo by Melanie of Pickle Me Too).

We go through a lot of apple cider vinegar in my home. I like to buy it in bulk if I can – either a case of bottles (if I can swing it) or in the gallon sized jugs.

Isa March 14, 2013 at 5:28 am

Oddly enough I have started drinking a cup of this daily with raw honey and coconut oil. It doesn’t taste too bad but after about a week I have horrible gas and stomach issues. Although I feel like my cellulite is shrinking I can’t be in the closed in office at work and stink up the place. I dont have privacy there and I have to call someone to cover me to use the bathroom. It is just too shameful to have this horrible smell and farting coming out of me. I’m almost certain that it has to be the vinegar. I fear that I will have to stop taking it because of this occurrence. Ever heard of this happening before?

lydia March 14, 2013 at 7:50 am

How much apple cider are you really drinking Isa? I think it’s a die off type reaction, but you can always cut back and build up more slowly. OR, try some digestive aid like Bromelain Plus by Biotics Research. Or even take some uncrystallized ginger to work and chew on a few pieces.

Isa March 14, 2013 at 11:45 am

I add a tablespoon and a half to 8-14 oz of water. I wonder if it could be the honey? I have never used it before either, except once when I made homemade chocolate candy. Digestive aids might be a good idea.

lydia March 14, 2013 at 11:47 am

Try it without the honey and way less water and drink it like a shot before meals. Sugars can cause gas. Hope you get a resolution soon.

louise anne May 29, 2013 at 6:40 am

skip the coconut oil, dear… if you’re having the same results from the natural honey sweetened vinegar, than consider trying a different therapy. fortunately, I grew up liking buttermilk but it left my diet many years ago. now that i’m older, I found that mixing cumin and ground red pepper (as much as you can tolerate) in buttermilk: 1/2 teas each to 1 c buttermilk (I double it, because I like the spice). hope this helps with the small spaces! CHEERS

Isa May 29, 2013 at 8:11 am

Unfortunately I found that it was the vinegar giving me a far worse issue. I was periodically getting vaginal odor. It stopped when I didn’t drink my potion. I had to stop drinking it altogether. The odor was similar to having bacterial vaginosis and garbage. Just horrible. The odor has cleared up since I stopped. Sadly it must just not agree with me.

dude guy December 6, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Hi i suffer from post infectious IBS. Lots of bloating and gas…. i use apple cider vinegar to help out big time… but as soon as i stop taking it my bloating comes back in full felge…. just to be clear my gassiness and bloating never goes away fully but i do have reduced gas volume and odor. Can you help me find my cure?

Asia from Poland August 20, 2014 at 9:54 am

Is it bad if you drink apple cider vinegar 3 times a day before meals with 2 teaspoons of your stomach hurts? The drink worked great, passed constipation and “stone” in the stomach after meals.

lydia August 20, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Are you saying your stomach hurts when you do drink it or are you asking if it’s okay to use it due to your stomach hurting?

I think it’s a great digestive support for sure – but if your stomach keeps hurting on a daily or regular basis you should look further into WHY that is the case.

Asia from Poland August 21, 2014 at 3:25 am

Stomach began to hurt while drinking apple cider vinegar. I also had the feeling of wrinkling and the feeling of hunger. This came after about a week. I stopped drinking vinegar and pains of gastric past, but returned intensified bloating, a feeling of “stone” after meals, constipation. When I drank vinegar passed constipation and it was not overflow after meals. I felt better digestion. Maybe I drank too much of it? Start with a lower dose? I have hypothyroidism, and I suspect that I have too little stomach acid.