Reasons to Use Apple Cider Vinegar: #1 Digestive Support

by lydia on September 6, 2012

Apple cider vinegar, I find, should be considered as a super food/cure all – therefore something to keep in every home pantry and ‘medicine’ cabinet. It has long been known by folk medicine as one of nature’s greatest healing agents. Apple Cider Vinegar has a ton of beneficial uses as a home remedy and healing tonic. Today, I’d like to discuss it’s use as a digestive support.

Got Indigestion? Heartburn? Gas? Bloating? Sip on some ACV……

Apple Cider Vinegar shots

Years ago, I used an apple cider vinegar as a daily tonic. I had a lot of digestive complaints, particularly bloating/gas and could not really digest a lot of protein and fat. Particularly beef. Apple cider vinegar helped me immensely during that time, until I got my digestion ironed out in other ways. Apple cider vinegar can help to support digestion by providing enzymes and certain acids. The enzymes help support those who do not produce enough enzymes on their own, an all too common issue in this modern day. Take some apple cider vinegar in water 15 minutes prior to meals to help get your digestive juices going (1 Tbsp. in a few ounces of water). This can help to prevent indigestion, gas or bloating. If you find you are already suffering from any of those complaints, sipping on a few ounces of water with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar can help.

The healthy acids found in ACV, acetic, isobutryic, lactic and propionic acid can also support digestion by controlling the growth of unwanted bacteria and yeasts in the stomach and body. Many people today lack digestive enzymes and appropriate stomach acid and need all the digestive help they can get. I highly recommend adding apple cider vinegar to your daily routine if you regularly suffer from digestive complaints. For example, sipping on apple cider vinegar is a much better option than taking any kind of acid blocker (the stomach is actually an acid making machine, suppressing the acid is actually going to cause long term damage).

This is a simple helpful home remedy that can benefit anyone. Keep in mind there are usually deeper reasons as to why one may have indigestion, heartburn, gas, bloating. To find the root cause of your digestive issues it may be a good idea to delve a little deeper.

Find mason shot glasses here (amazon affiliate link).

Making Your Own Apple Cider Vinegar

I’ve never made my own apple cider vinegar, but my friend Melanie of Pickle Me Too has. She swears it’s super simple. I do hope to try it soon, hopefully this fall when I can get fresh local apple cider.  Here is her recipe for Apple Cider Vinegar – give it a try sometime! (above photo by Melanie of Pickle Me Too).

We go through a lot of apple cider vinegar in my home. I like to buy it in bulk if I can – either a case of bottles (if I can swing it) or in the gallon sized jugs.

DitchIt_ebookcover

Join our weekly newsletter and get our
Herbal Teas for Vibrant Health FREE!
10 Recipes to Support Energy &
Vitality for the Whole Family.

Isa March 14, 2013 at 5:28 am

Oddly enough I have started drinking a cup of this daily with raw honey and coconut oil. It doesn’t taste too bad but after about a week I have horrible gas and stomach issues. Although I feel like my cellulite is shrinking I can’t be in the closed in office at work and stink up the place. I dont have privacy there and I have to call someone to cover me to use the bathroom. It is just too shameful to have this horrible smell and farting coming out of me. I’m almost certain that it has to be the vinegar. I fear that I will have to stop taking it because of this occurrence. Ever heard of this happening before?

lydia March 14, 2013 at 7:50 am

How much apple cider are you really drinking Isa? I think it’s a die off type reaction, but you can always cut back and build up more slowly. OR, try some digestive aid like Bromelain Plus by Biotics Research. Or even take some uncrystallized ginger to work and chew on a few pieces.

Isa March 14, 2013 at 11:45 am

I add a tablespoon and a half to 8-14 oz of water. I wonder if it could be the honey? I have never used it before either, except once when I made homemade chocolate candy. Digestive aids might be a good idea.

lydia March 14, 2013 at 11:47 am

Try it without the honey and way less water and drink it like a shot before meals. Sugars can cause gas. Hope you get a resolution soon.

louise anne May 29, 2013 at 6:40 am

skip the coconut oil, dear… if you’re having the same results from the natural honey sweetened vinegar, than consider trying a different therapy. fortunately, I grew up liking buttermilk but it left my diet many years ago. now that i’m older, I found that mixing cumin and ground red pepper (as much as you can tolerate) in buttermilk: 1/2 teas each to 1 c buttermilk (I double it, because I like the spice). hope this helps with the small spaces! CHEERS

Isa May 29, 2013 at 8:11 am

Unfortunately I found that it was the vinegar giving me a far worse issue. I was periodically getting vaginal odor. It stopped when I didn’t drink my potion. I had to stop drinking it altogether. The odor was similar to having bacterial vaginosis and garbage. Just horrible. The odor has cleared up since I stopped. Sadly it must just not agree with me.

dude guy December 6, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Hi i suffer from post infectious IBS. Lots of bloating and gas…. i use apple cider vinegar to help out big time… but as soon as i stop taking it my bloating comes back in full felge…. just to be clear my gassiness and bloating never goes away fully but i do have reduced gas volume and odor. Can you help me find my cure?

Asia from Poland August 20, 2014 at 9:54 am

Is it bad if you drink apple cider vinegar 3 times a day before meals with 2 teaspoons of your stomach hurts? The drink worked great, passed constipation and “stone” in the stomach after meals.

lydia August 20, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Are you saying your stomach hurts when you do drink it or are you asking if it’s okay to use it due to your stomach hurting?

I think it’s a great digestive support for sure – but if your stomach keeps hurting on a daily or regular basis you should look further into WHY that is the case.

Asia from Poland August 21, 2014 at 3:25 am

Stomach began to hurt while drinking apple cider vinegar. I also had the feeling of wrinkling and the feeling of hunger. This came after about a week. I stopped drinking vinegar and pains of gastric past, but returned intensified bloating, a feeling of “stone” after meals, constipation. When I drank vinegar passed constipation and it was not overflow after meals. I felt better digestion. Maybe I drank too much of it? Start with a lower dose? I have hypothyroidism, and I suspect that I have too little stomach acid.

Thelma November 4, 2014 at 9:21 am

Hello,
Just wondering if Apple cider vinegar would be okay to drink with gallbladder issues where I don’t seem to absorb fat? Is there any health issues you are aware of that I shouldn’t consume it at all?

Many thanks,
Thelma

rob May 18, 2015 at 7:23 am

Make sure to drink the Organic Apple cider Vinegar by Brags others do not work to well…….

Faizi Naeem August 28, 2015 at 4:13 am

Hi Lydia, Hope you doing well.
I had a query regarding my poor digestion(Stomach).
Please provide me the name of best Tonic for my poor digestion system. whatever i have nothin to work for body.
I consulted with doctor there is no decease in me only i have stomach digestion problem. My age is 30.

Waiting for your positive response. Thanks !!!

lydia August 30, 2015 at 9:02 am

Hi there,

Sorry you are having stomach digestion problems. I am not able to advise you as to what is best for you – but you can try this tonic before meals and see if it helps.

Glen October 7, 2015 at 8:26 am

Can I have ACV in my drinking water throughout the day (1tsp in each 5ooml bottle 3 times a day) which equates to 3 tsps ACV a day?

Anonymous November 30, 2015 at 4:17 pm

It’s the honey. If you add sugar to the intestinal tract, the microorgaisms will eat it and produce gas. Mix the vinegar with water and see how you do.

kim April 21, 2016 at 11:31 pm

I had a horrible reaction to prilosec . It affected my whole body in one way or another it seems like . On the advice of a physician I was told to use the prescription strength prilosec for six weeks .I was getting sicker and sicker but made it the full six weeks .Then I quite the prilosec suddenly and my stomach issues began . It got so bad I was prescribed benzos .Oddly enough the severe gas went away with benzo use but as I tapered off of them the gas and pain came back . To make a long story short I then started using apple cider vinegar with mom and my stomach is finally healing 7 months later !! I only use 1 tsp twice daily in warm water but it is enough to do the job .I am impressed with apple cider vinegar to say the least .I cant quite figure out WHY it is working so well or what was wrong with my digestion in the first place .But I know it all started with the antacid . I will use it from here on out . I do notice that I can get a little nausea if I over do it with the ACV so I think starting out slowly with a tsp at a time is the way to go with this to see how your body will react to it

Janet (Divine Health Assistant) April 27, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Thanks for sharing your story Kim! If you’d like to learn more about healing your body and healing your stomach, you may want to join this exclusive small group Lydia is putting on: http://divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com/30days-to-vibrant-health/

EMILY May 4, 2016 at 1:20 am

Be sure to use an apple cider vinegar the is unfiltered and still has the sediment at the bottom of the glass bottle. The sediment, or “the mother”, has many enzymes. Also, don’t use ACV in plastic bottles….use only glass bottles.

Sherri Harper July 25, 2016 at 11:57 am

I have been diagnosed with Gastroperisis which is slow emptying of the stomach contents. Basically my stomach n intestines are not digesting my food fast enough therfore I get full n throw up.I also suffer from constipation but I have recently quit taking miralax due to the ingredients. I have heard that ACV can aid in my digestive problems. Will ACV help me

Dale Huill November 17, 2016 at 9:32 pm

If you drink this for a couple days and your gas gets way worse its because your body is detoxing, just take less for like 2 weeks, go slow, it takes 6 months to cure, not 1 day.

Anna November 18, 2016 at 9:30 am

Hi I have had severe constipation now for almost about 2 months. I have practically tried everything but nothing apart from laxatives work, I was wondering if Apple cider vinegar will do the job? Also how long will it take for it to have an affect on my system?

lydia November 20, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Anything that can improve digestion could potentially help with constipation – however, I can’t say for sure if the apple cider vinegar will be enough for you. Check out these other posts of mine below:

Kate November 30, 2016 at 5:50 am

Can too much apple cider vinegar unbalance gut flora too ?