I tend to eat a lot of eggs for breakfasts. They’re easy, fast and a great source of nourishment. But, I’ll confess, it sometimes gets a bit boring eating eggs so often. I like to keep it interesting and dice it up as often as I can to keep my taste buds happy. Here’s a recipe for Taco Style eggs – I happened to have tacos for dinner the other night and had all the ingredients on hand to make these.
- Lard, ghee or coconut oil
- 3 pastured eggs (duck or chicken), OR 3 links pastured sausage (turkey, pork, beef, bison) casings removed if you do not tolerate eggs
- ⅛ tsp. Homemade Taco seasoning (see recipe below)
- Garlicky Salsa (see recipe below)
- Half an avocado, diced
- 1- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1-2 tablespoons creme fraiche or homemade sour cream (see recipe below)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Hot sauce, optional
- In a small skillet heat a dollop of lard, ghee or coconut oil over medium heat.
- Crack eggs in a small bowl and stir, add the taco seasoning and stir again. Or, if using sausage crumble sausage meat out of casings and saute until done.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning into the meat while cooking.
- When pan is hot, pour eggs in and stir until scrambled the way you like.
- Remove eggs from pan to a plate.
- Top with salsa, avocado, cilantro, creme fraiche and season with salt and hot sauce.
- *Note - When removing salsa from the jar, try to get just the chunks and not the liquid as much as possible so you don't have watery eggs.
- Additional Options: Try other toppings such as these Fermented Red Onions (see recipe below), or some shredded grass-fed cheddar. I topped mine with some Smoky Paprika and Chipotle finishing salt from my friend Cindy's Farm store (see below). Instead of avocado, try guacamole.
Other Recipes & Resources:
I often post my meals on my Facebook Page. I recently posted that I had my Taco Style eggs and someone asked if this breakfast was healthy. My answer is yes! I like to start my day out with adequate protein and good fat to help satiate me and keep my blood sugar happy. I also like to add something fresh and raw when I can and better yet, something fermented. This breakfast encompasses all those goals. Not to mention, it’s super yummy!
What creative ways do you like to spruce up your eggs for breakfast?
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get