Eczema Salve

by lydia on December 4, 2012

Eczema seems to be a common ailment that affects many people, and more and more children. Ultimately, it’s the body’s way of trying to get toxins out when other pathways might be blocked. It can all result from food sensitivities and allergies. Regardless of the root cause it’s a challenge to find something safe to put onto the affected skin that does not agitate or exacerbate the symptoms that come along with eczema.

I was happy to find this recipe from Jennifer of Hybrid Rasta Mama, in her eBook; ‘Coconut Oil For Your Skin’. It was simple to make. I had most of the ingredients on hand and those I did not have were simple to obtain and I knew I’d have plenty of uses for them in the future as well. This recipe smelled so amazing while I was steeping it in my crockpot. One of my sons gets patchy spots of eczema on his legs in the winter and I have some spots that flare up from time to time (healing eczema can be tricky and take some time depending on the root cause – I’ll be writing more on this topic eventually). You can apply as often as needed. I was able to fill two of the 6 ounce mason jars (in photo below) to the very top of the rim. I can tell already one jar will last me a long time. I think this salve is a great salve for dry winter skin as well

Eczema Salve

• 8 drops tea tree EO
  • 6 drops grapefruit EO
  • 2 drops jasmine EO
  • 2 drops grapefruit seed extract

Instructions:

1. Place dried herbs into pot or bowl
  2. Pour olive and coconut oils over herbs.
  3. Heat on low for approximately 4 hours. Optimally 100-140 degrees.
  4. Strain, discard herbs, and reserve oil.
  5. Place in saucepan and add beeswax.
  6. Stir over low heat until wax melts.
  7. Add essential oils and extract.
  8. Pour into jars.
  9. Makes 14 ounces.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

If you like the idea of making homemade skin care products you may want to pick up a copy of Jennifer’s eBook; ‘Coconut Oil For Your Skin’. At $6.95 it’s a steal for some pretty awesome, yet simple recipes you can make at home and save a ton of money as well as know exactly what is in them.

Parvin Ansari December 7, 2012 at 11:48 am

Where do I these ingredients?
especially the dry flowers.

lydia December 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Check out Mountain Rose Herbs for dried herbs/flowers. Oils you can get through Be Young Essential Oils or at your local health food store.

AnnaD December 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm

What is low in terms of temp. My over the top hubs are quite high in heat and when I need to very slowly simmer something I usually use my oven. What would be the recommended temp please?

lydia December 19, 2012 at 8:20 am

100-140 is best Anna. Check the simmer setting on your crockpot and see if it goes that low – it may not. Another option would be to use a dehydrator.

Janice December 19, 2012 at 10:46 am

where is the recipe for the eczema salve?

lydia December 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Sorry Janice, had a little glitch but it’s fixed now!

AnnaD December 19, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Thank you for your response Lydia, do you mean in Fahrenheit?

lydia December 19, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Yes! You are welcome, I edited the recipe to reflect the temp. too!

AnnaD December 20, 2012 at 5:36 am

Thank you!

sandra sinclair January 31, 2013 at 1:46 am

I like this Idea but I think here in Canada all the ingredients would be somewhat expensive….

mette March 9, 2013 at 9:03 pm

My eczema is the blistery itchy type from different allergies. I am working on figuring out the allergies but I was wondering if you can recommend something for the itch. I use a lot of cortisone and would like to get away from it. Is there something natural you can recommend that I could work into this salve?

lydia March 10, 2013 at 9:35 am

Google Chickweed -it’s supposed to be great for itchy/eczema type skin. Also, witch hazel. I personally have found relief with a kombucha scoby mask on my hand or soak in kombucha.

I’m not sure I’d put this around the eyes -I’d do a tea compress perhaps……Hope that helps. And work to get to the root of your allergies. I love both Histoplex products from Biotics for symptom relief while trying to get to the root of the problem.

mette March 9, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I forgot to ask about using it around the eyes. My skin around my eyes is always swollen and itchy from allergies.

Maeve April 10, 2013 at 3:51 am

I’m severely allergic to tea tree oil, is it okay to leave that completely out?

lydia April 10, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Of course!!

Clinidirect April 30, 2013 at 11:46 am

Hi guys, I came across your website when reading about natural eczema treatments. We’ve been investing a lot of time into understanding the link between fast food and eczema flair ups. I recommend you read this article! :

Informative stuff!