I’ve been longing to make stuffed peppers a regular meal in our arsenal of healthy dinners for some time now. At first I thought the kids might baulk at such a meal were it offered to them and procrastinated. Then I realized I was holding them back from trying something new, yet again. How many times will I do this to myself? I finally came up with the perfect recipe and it was a smash hit! Loaded with veggies, this recipe is so well rounded. Great for those on a blood sugar handling diet or a GAPS diet too! One of my sons begs me to make these, they’ve become one of his favorite dinners.
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- ½ head of cauliflower, made into cauliflower rice (already cooked works best)
- ½ large onion, minced
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, minced
- 2 stalks of celery, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-6 ounces of tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 pastured egg 2 or 3 liver cubes (Optional)
- Smoked Cheddar Cheese - about 2 Tbsp. grated to top on each pepper half
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise, clean out veins.
- Rub the outside of pepper with a little bit of lard.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
- In a chef's pan, on medium heat heat add some lard, ghee, tallow or coconut oil.
- Add minced onion, saute for 3 minutes.
- Add celery and onions. Cook 6-7 minutes.
- Add beef, mashing in well to the veggies as it browns.
- Add the cauliflower and stir in well.
- Add minced garlic, tomato paste, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cook until ground beef is no longer pink. Turn off heat.
- Stir in minced parsley and one egg.
- Remove peppers from oven. Spoon the beef mixture into each pepper half. Top with cheese. Place back into the oven for 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve. If there is any remaining meat mixture, save it and you can use this to stuff mushrooms for a snack later!
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get