I’ve been longing to make stuffed peppers a regular meal in our arsenal of healthy dinners for some time now. At first I thought the kids might baulk at such a meal were it offered to them and procrastinated. Then I realized I was holding them back from trying something new, yet again. How many times will I do this to myself? I finally came up with the perfect recipe and it was a smash hit! Loaded with veggies, this recipe is so well rounded. Great for those on a blood sugar handling diet or a GAPS diet too! (My one son begs me to make these, they’ve become one of his favorite dinners).
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, made into cauliflower rice (already cooked works best)
- 1/2 large onion, minced,
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, minced
- 2 stalks of celery, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-6 ounces of tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 pastured egg
- 2 or 3 liver cubes (Optional)
- Smoked Cheddar Cheese - about 2 Tbsp. grated to top on each pepper half
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise, clean out veins.
- Rub the outside of pepper with a little bit of lard.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
- In a chef's pan, on medium heat heat add some lard, ghee, tallow or coconut oil.
- Add minced onion, saute for 3 minutes.
- Add celery and onions. Cook 6-7 minutes.
- Add beef, mashing in well to the veggies as it browns.
- Add the cauliflower and stir in well.
- Add minced garlic, tomato paste, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cook until ground beef is no longer pink. Turn off heat.
- Stir in minced parsley and one egg.
- Remove peppers from oven. Spoon the beef mixture into each pepper half. Top with cheese. Place back into the oven for 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve. If there is any remaining meat mixture, save it and you can use this to stuff mushrooms for a snack later!
Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon? There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!
Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone, Skype or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!