How I Recovered From Hypoglycemia & You Can Too

by lydia on February 25, 2013

Hypoglycemia is becoming more and more prevalent today. The sad part is, most people aren’t aware this is an issue for them, nor do they know how to remedy the situation. Unchecked, hypoglycemia can lead to deeper insulin resistance such as pre-diabetes and even diabetes. Are you someone suffering from hypoglycemia and want to recover? Is the possibility of diabetes in the future a concern for you?

hypoglycemia-symptoms-400x275

What is Hypoglycemia?

Reactive Hypoglycemia = Low blood glucose due to an over-reactive attempt of the body to control increasing blood sugar levels (due to a refined carbohydrate/high glycemic diet). Hypoglycemia is a condition involving complex interrelations between the pancreas, adrenal glands and the liver. The liver helps with short term blood sugar control due to its store of glycogen and its ability to raise blood sugar when it begins to drop. The adrenal glands, due to the cortisol and other stress hormones, will help raise blood sugar in a crisis. There are different patterns of hypoglycemia. One type you’ll find in a person that wakes up ravenous and needs to eat every 2 hours, as well as craves sugar and carbohydrates. This person cannot deal without eating every 2 hours. This type has more to do with an inability to store glycogen in the liver. The overnight reserves of glucose are very low and this person ends up waking up hungry in the middle of the night, or starving first thing in the morning. Another type will wake up groggy and need several cups of coffee to get started and can then go hours without eating. In the evening this person can eat a huge meal and then pass out. They end up feeling lousy on the weekends -they are driven by stress and when the schedule of the work week is gone they feel terrible. This pattern is suggestive of a difficulty releasing glycogen from the liver until the liver is stimulated by cortisol. Cortisol stimulates the liver to release stored glycogen, without it this person cannot keep up. Ultimately, hypoglycemia is very debilitating, and causes many people to live on a carb induced roller coaster ride. Hypoglycemia can cause fatigue, depression, dizziness, headaches, shakiness/trembling, light-headedness when rising too quickly and more. (Source: ‘Signs & Symptoms: Analysis from a Functional Perspective. Dicken Weatherby)

Suffering With Hypoglycemia

In the fall of 2009, I found myself struggling deeply with hypoglycemia. I could not leave the house without a water bottle and a snack. I would get irritable, lightheaded,  and dizzy if I didn’t eat every 2 hours. I was a slave to eating around the clock. I couldn’t go into large buildings without feeling woozy and almost losing my vision. I had to drink water, eat protein and fat or I’d almost pass out. I had suffered with mild hypoglycemia on and off for many years, but this brief season of my life was intense. It was very debilitating as well as disheartening, and could have been potentially disastrous had I not resolved it.

I realized I need to eat more protein and fat and less carbohydrates and sugar.  2009 was the year I started to eat more healthy fat in my diet, after being liberated to do so through lots of research (namely through the Weston A. Price Foundation). As I learned to eat hearty breakfasts, more protein and fat, along with ditching excess carbs/sugars I began to see a major shift in my symptoms. It wasn’t until I went low carb, ditched gluten along with other things did my hypoglycemic symptoms go away. Not only that, but I was able to eat 3 meals a day and not need snacks. That was very freeing in and of itself. It’s no fun to have to constantly feed yourself to keep up your energy and have your blood sugar not dip down so low. I became a fat burner instead of a sugar burner, which I like to compare to putting logs on a fire vs. kindling. It was very empowering to know how to manage my blood sugar and prevent myself from deeper insulin resistance. Not only that, but I was able to shed the last of the excess weight I was carrying from baby #4, and likely all the stress I had been under for years.

On The Other Side

What resulted from me getting my hypoglycemia under control  was profound indeed. Not only was my health and energy greatly improved, my finances benefited too. I no longer had to eat a ton all day long and have convenient snacks to take along with me wherever I went. I could eat a lot less and stay satiated much longer. This freed up my budget quite a bit. My overall well being was impacted, my sleep was better, I became much happier and my home life shifted because of these physical changes as well. I was able to be a much kinder mom and not snap so easily at my kids. I found I had more patience/stamina and willingness to help my young children rather than want to hide out in my room and try to ‘rest’. I can’t imagine what it would have cost me and my family had I not gotten this under control. I suspect it would have made it hard for me to hold down a job or work at my full potential. I know it would have cost me a great deal in time, money and stress. I could have potentially become further insulin resistant and on the road to pre-diabetes had I kept up how I was eating and living. The energy and freedom I obtained through managed blood sugar came as a major surprise to me. I felt like I had the energy to take on just about anything life threw at me. Can you put a price or value on that feeling? I don’t think so.

You Can Recover Too

The beauty of my story is that now I am teaching others just how to get their health on track and recover from things like hypoglycemia and deeper insulin resistance. I was so affected by my own path of recovery I decided to get a certification in nutritional therapy so I could help others on their own path towards wellness.  I’ve had many clients regain their energy, vigor and stamina within just a few short weeks after working with me. They were amazed at how good they felt ready to take on new things. It’s a breath of fresh air to get hypoglycemia managed. Unfortunately, conventional medicine often encourages people manage their symptoms of hypoglycemia by reaching for sugar to bring up their blood sugar. This will not resolve the issue and only make it worse down the road. For those of you who are reading this and wanting help to get your life back on track, take some time to check out the details of my online course; ‘Revitalize Your Health’. I will teach you the basics on how to get started on the right path towards getting yourself stable, retrieving your energy, refreshing your sleep and much more. This course could change your life. Invest in yourself today, you are totally worth it!

Are you concerned about the possibility of diabetes in your future? Do you know someone affected by hypoglycemia? Then you need to join my online course ‘Revitalize Your Health‘. It’s not a fad diet that’s for sure, this course will teach you a whole new way of life. When your blood sugar levels drop low or swing up and down, you can really begin to regain your overall health. When blood sugar is managed, you feel more stable, sleep better, have better energy and can lose weight. Blood sugar is one of the two most tightly regulated systems in our body. Every aspect of our health is at risk when we don’t maintain appropriate blood sugar control.  Do you see how this can help you? Register Today! [Click on the link below for more information and to see the course outline]

Heather in Oregon February 25, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease following a prolonged illness triggered by taking some antibiotics. One things that my naturopath wanted me to do as I started to recover (even before the celiac diagnosis) was to go grain free for 6mos and another was to take a tbsp of coconut oil with every meal. I’ve suffered from hypoglycemia since I was a teenager and the difference in my blood sugar stability without the grains and with the oil was amazing. I too can get by on only three meals a day, my energy levels throughout the day are much more stable, and the weight that I (unintentionally) lost when I got sick has stayed off.
My husband in the type of hypoglycemic that goes most of the day without eating and then eats huge, carb laden meals and crashes. He often wakes up in the middle of the night with cravings and can go through a jar of peanut butter in a few days. He has always eaten far more processed food than I ever have and is currently significantly overweight. I’ve been trying to convince him to go grain free and add some additional fat to his diet to see if his weight, energy, and eating patterns stabilize.

Kenedi - Real Food Whole Life February 26, 2013 at 9:47 am

I really enjoyed the info in the this post and the changes you’ve experienced. Thank you for sharing.

Yvonne March 11, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Great post. I have often wondered if my 9 y.o. son is hypoglycemic as I seek a reason for his frequent late afternoon crashes with severe vomiting. He does have graves disease and I know he does better on frequent protein.

Nina June 6, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Hello and congrats!

How long did it take you to recover from hypoglycemia?

Thanks,
Nina

lydia June 7, 2013 at 7:47 am

Nina,

I had my major symptoms under control very quickly a couple weeks/month. However, I had to learn that I could never go back to the way I was living and always take care to manage my blood sugar. I don’t think anyone in this day and age can afford to play around with their blood sugar or take it for granted! Hope that helps!

Natalie August 11, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I have been taking a similar approach as you did in trying to heal from hypoglycemia, but I am still having rough patches even after 1 year. I have systemic Candida. Do you know if Candida (or other parasites) will keep your blood sugar unstable despite nutritional changes until they are brought under control? Any suggestions for tackling Candida?

lydia April 10, 2014 at 6:47 am

Any stress, like candida/parasites, can have a potential hypoglycemia affect on the body not necessarily because you do not have good eating habits or blood sugar management but because of how the stress is affecting your adrenal health and your cortisol levels. You can manage candida through diet/herbs – it takes time – but the adrenals could have taken such a hit that they need support. I’d look into that piece as well Natalie!

Lauren March 18, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I severely hypoglycemic and have been for 4 years! Usually I can manage it pretty well but lately it has been out of control! I am having to eat every 2 hours – constantly stuffing my face with food to be able to function (similar to your story) all the tips and advice I can get would be great! I am glad to find this site and know I am not alone !

lydia April 10, 2014 at 6:44 am

Lauren,

It could be that your adrenal health is in bad shape and getting them back on track may be the next step for you in your recovery.

Amy April 10, 2014 at 12:54 am

Candida is a fungus and it does affect blood sugar level because it feeds off sugar. It can cause you to be hypoglycemic even if you eat a lot of sugar, which in turn feeds the fungus.

Eduardo April 12, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I really need your help my story is identical to yours, it all started in 2010 I had so much stress because of my bachelor of Electrical Engineering at that time, I have tried a lot of things, and I was getting better until I did to much exercise in 2013 and had an awful hypoglycemia attack one morning and since that time I have felt really bad no matter what I do I’m desperate and I have to eat every two hours or my blood sugar will be very low, I eat a low carb diet and high protein but I don’t seem to recover this is bad and is stressful to me, some times I wake up on the night and feel like dying because my blood sugar is low, please help me.

lauren May 1, 2014 at 3:27 pm

i am no doctor but sounds like you have the same issues as i do. I take supplements for blood sugar control -especially my terrible hypoglycemia that i have had for 4 years and the ones lydia recommends here definitely help tremendously! Diet alone for me was not enough and these vitamins give me a boost and I’ve been on for 2 weeks and noticing symptoms disappearing :)

Eduardo May 10, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Hi Lauren, I hope you keep getting better, well I will try the gluco balance to see if they can help me with my problems they seem to work very well with a lot of people in some research I have been doing. Thanks for your advice.

lydia May 1, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Eduardo,

Sorry I seem to have missed your comment until now……if you are extremely low blood sugar you may want to eat a bit more carbs. So, for example with breakfast, have a little bit of fruit or sweet potato or something. Too low carb won’t be ideal for you just yet. Also, try eating MORE fat. When I was severely hypoglycemic I had to eat a lot of coconut oil and butter in my food and snacks. One of my favorite snacks were nut balls made with nut butter,butter and some other things. Also, I definitely recommend you try either of these teas:

http://divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com/2014/04/diy-kool-aid-recipe/ (< --don't let the name of the drink deter you, it's a great tonic beverage that will provide you with some powerful nutrients)!

and for a more complex recipe if you are up for it -try this one: http://divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com/2013/07/schisandra-five-flavor-tea/ – just drink it in the am – noon (so long as you don’t have high blood pressure).

Let us know how you are doing!

Eduardo May 10, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Hi Lydia I will definitely try your recipes and thanks for the response, it’s been very tough I had to stop doing exercise because my sugar level will go down even if I eat rice before doing it. I have added lots of fat to my diet and it seems to work but I still feel sick after 2 hours, also in the mornings if I eat to much carbs I will feel worse all day long, so that’s why in breakfast I have a protein shake (good one low in carbs with no sugar, gluten free), I add to that shake peanut butter, and chia seeds and a piece of whole grain bread with butter, I feel much better eating this. At nights I still waking up hungry and feeling terribly bad, before bed I have tried eating different things but I end up with the same results. Anyways I will try your advice to see the results. Thanks again for helping people like me and others, I wish more people were like you.

lydia May 12, 2014 at 11:52 am

Sure thing Eduardo! I hope you start feeling better soon!

Diane Luecke April 25, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Dealing with terrible blood sugar issues — adrenal fatigue. prediabetes and insulin resistance. Any helpful advice would greatly be appreciated.

lydia April 29, 2014 at 11:07 am

Hi Diane – are you working with anyone on this?

lauren May 1, 2014 at 3:25 pm

anyone seeking help and releif from hypoglycemia and gaining blood sugar control. The supplements Lydia recommends on here definitely work! i have been taking gluco balance from biotics research and they help me go longer between meals and help relieve my hypoglycemia symptoms! Along with good diet of course. These supplements from Biotics are the best of the best in my opinion. I have tried a lot!

lydia May 1, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I’m so glad to hear you are getting some good benefits Lauren -yay!