The Missing Piece to the Probiotic Healing Puzzle

by lydia on March 15, 2013

Those of you who have learned of the importance of probiotics have likely embraced finding a high quality probiotic or started fermenting foods in order to ‘repopluate’ your gut. By now, we should all have at least heard that after a round of antibiotics we need to ‘repopulate’ the beneficial bacteria that was wiped out during the course. Antibiotics are indiscriminate and will take both the good and the bad. That’s why so many of us today are lacking in healthy gut flora. There are plenty of other reasons as well, suffice it to say that many people do not often get the results they are hoping for from taking probiotics.

From what I have learned, the majority of probiotics on the market are transient in nature. That means they go into the body, do their job and leave with the stool, and can even be seen in a stool sample. These native probiotics also don’t all survive stomach acid (that is if you actually have good stomach acid). Transient microbes come through dietary sources, and some through soil, air and water supply.  The transient forms of probiotics are the ones we are all most familiar with, such as the Lactobacilli family and the Bifidum or Bifidobacteria family. Also, saccharomyces boulardii (which is found in milk, water kefir and kombucha). In other words, they do not actually work to ‘repopulate’ the gut like many of us have thought. They still serve a great purpose for our health, but understanding this piece may help you understand why you may not be healing like you thought you should be.

Enter Native strains of probiotics……Native probiotics on the other hand actually work to STAY in the body, they do not leave with the stool. These are the major league players in our guts. Native probiotics come from the environment. Most of us no longer have our hands in the dirt, or even healthy dirt for that matter. We don’t even accidentally eat a peck of good dirt in our asceptic worlds anymore. So, it’s rare any of us are getting these native strains such as Bacteriodes, streptococus and enterococus through our current probiotics. (Go ahead get out your bottle and look on the label.)

Native (the major league players in our gut) probiotics can be taken in lower doses.They can also work to Missing Puzzle Piece bring about rapid changes in the gut terrain, and can cause discomfort if you take too much at once. They can have a detoxifying effect on the body. It’s best to start with small doses increase slowly. This is the missing piece to the probiotic healing puzzle.

My experience with soil based probiotics (specifically, Prescript Assist) has been a very good one. I’ve spent the last year working with Prescript Assist when I could afford it. My digestion has only improved since taking it and when I went off it after only one bottle my gut health was ‘off’ a bit. I started back up with more and things ironed out again. I’ve recommended Prescript Assist to most all of my clients and it has made some marked improvements in many. Including a client with severe colitis, who has now recovered.

Prescript Assist

Prescript Assist is a 100% native, prebiotic & probiotic (only one out there like this that I know of). It’s a broad spectrum probiotic that contains more than 29 soil-based, pH-resistant micro-flora (SBOs that may be found in a healthy GI track) -with proprietary humic and fulvic acid prebiotic complex, to help the body in addressing GI track and other disorders (such as IBS and Crohns).
To start supplemeting with Prescript Assist, start on  a quarter to half a capsule once per day. Wait 3 days to see if there is any reaction. Then add 1, then 2 per day in divided doses. This probiotic is also in a base of carbon which is a bowel detoxifier. If you are working to heal leaky gut, or have been on antibiotics, I’d highly recommend getting some Prescript Assist. Once you get through at least one bottle of taking it daily, you can simply take 1-2 capsules per week rather than daily. I’ve had some clients take 2 per day for many months because they had more severe health conditions. Some people may find even greater therapeutic doses to be of benefit to them. Everyone will be different. Prescript Assist is a great probiotic option for those with SIBO since it does not contain D-Lactate. Speak with your practitioner about using it for SIBO.

Testimonials

Prescript Assist has been a key player in my health journey. Since I struggle with an autoimmune disease, we must first focus on healing my gut, in order to get everything else under control. While I try to eat fermented foods, I know that I don’t consume enough, so I do have to supplement. I feel that since I started taking PA, my digestive problems have begun to correct themselves. I have less gas and bloating, and better BMs. OVerall, I feel that my gut is slowly getting better and PA has been key in helping that. ~ Jessica, Delicious Obsessions (read more of her healing journey here).

Prescript Assist has made noticeable changes in my inner ecology, for the better. I’ve noticed better bowels and consistency as well. ~Melanie Christner of www.honestbody.com

Lydia advised me to begin using Prescript Assist to help heal from bone surgery a few months ago. Not only did it provide almost immediate improvement in my speed of healing but I noticed that my constipation was relieved as long as I took it! I ran out at one point and was disappointed to see my constipation return very quickly. Now after several months of taking it I am able to decrease my dose and maintain the same benefits. I have taken many probiotics over the years and this is one of the few that has given me marked improvement. I highly recommend giving Prescript Assist a try!  -Patty L. (read this post about Patty’s healing journey).

I started taking Prescript Assist to help heal ulcerative colitis (UC). While a probiotic/prebiotic alone will not cure UC, a healthy gut is imperative to long term colon health. I started with one pill daily working up to my maintenance dose of 4 pills. In just one month’s time, I was passing much less blood in my stool. What was once a multi-daily occurrence was almost non-existent within a month. In addition, I was experiencing less pain and cramping from the UC. At that point, I had done nothing different other than add Prescript Assist to my nutritional recovery program. Prescript Assist is truly an amazing Probiotic/Prebiotic blend that I cannot recommend more highly. ~ Jennifer, Hybrid Rasta Mama (read this post about Jennifer’s healing journey and experience with Prescript Assist).

Additional Reading

I recently noticed that Chris Kresser was recommending Prescript Assist (check out this podcast) by reading this article from Paleo Mom. Also, below are a few sources that may be of interest if you want see some clinical articles on the use of Prescript Assist. I know I’m sold on my own experience and the wonderful results I’ve watched numerous clients receive. It’s a major game changer probiotic worth adding to your current probiotic regime.

Prescript-Assist probiotic-prebiotic treatment for irritable bowel syndrome: a methodologically oriented, 2-week, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical study. Bittner AC, Croffut RM, Stranahan MC.

PRESCRIPT-ASSIST PROBIOTIC-PREBIOTIC TREATMENT FOR BACTERIAL-DIARRHEA: CLINICAL EXPERIENCE IN ECUADOR. Alvah C. BITTNER, PhD, CPE, Dra. Rocio CAICEDO, B., Dr. Telmo DE la TORRE, C Titut N. YOKELSON, PhD

For more information like this on supporting gut health, check out my course- Heal Your Gut. It’s a self-propelled learning opportunity that fits into your schedule.

Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon?  There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!

LydiaLydia Joy Shatney is a certified Nutritional Therapist Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association. Additionally, she is the chapter leader for the Weston A. Price Foundation in Delaware County, Pa. (Find the group here on Facebook). Lydia is also a member of the Nourished Living Network. Lydia founded Divine Health From The Inside Out in March of 2010. You can find Lydia on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. Sign up for the Divine Health From The Inside Out newsletter! Pick up a copy of Lydia’s eBook; ‘Divine Dinners: Gluten-Free, Nourishing, Family-Friendly Meals’.

Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone, Skype or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!

Starlene @ GAPS Diet Journey March 15, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I’ve never tried commercial probiotics before, sticking with sauerkraut and other ferments. Lydia, do you know how long one bottle lasts at the dose you are suggesting? I mean, if I was able to do exactly as you suggest and worked up to 2 capsules in a short amount of time, how long would the bottle last. Thanks. The instructions you give make it sound so easy!

lydia March 16, 2013 at 7:30 am

If you started at 1/4 capsule for 4 days, then 1/2 for 4 days, then 3/4 for 4 days, then 1 for 4 days, then do that whole rotation again added to the 1 capsule daily to get to 2 capsules – 1 bottle would last you about 2 months. After that though 1 bottle would last you about 45 days.

Alexandra March 16, 2013 at 10:11 am

Helpful post. I’m going to try this stuff.
A quick Google search shows that you can find it for considerably less money for the same size 60 capsule bottle than your link to Amazon shows it’s selling for.
Thanks for this post!

lydia March 16, 2013 at 10:26 am

You’re welcome! The link I put in is for a 90 capsule bottle, and I’m pretty sure shipping is free.

Leslie March 23, 2013 at 10:28 am

How does Prescript-Assist compare to Bio-Kult?

lydia March 23, 2013 at 11:55 am

Leslie,

BioKult has very little native strain of probiotic in the mix, it’s mostly transient in nature. (plus I think it may have corn in it). Prescript Assist is completely allergen free.

Leslie March 23, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Thanks, Lydia. I know Bio-Kult is what Dr. Natasha recommends when you’re on the GAPS diet. Wonder if Prescript-Assist is too “strong” while going through the GAPS protocol?

lydia March 23, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I don’t think so. Just start really slowly – and if you feel uncomfortable back off or down or take a break. Start back up when things abate. The initial period of getting adjusted to them is the issue.

Tracy April 3, 2013 at 10:43 am

Lydia, is this ok to take if I’m trying to kill off SIBO bacteria?

lydia April 3, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Absolutely Tracy! I think it would be hugely beneficial!

Lydia April 13, 2013 at 2:50 am

Fascinating! I was given high doses of antibiotics when I had my son almost a year and a half ago. I took probiotics afterwards but have a feeling that wasn’t enough to get me back to normal. I also have a wheat allergy and suspect the possibility of celiac though have not been diagnosed. All that to say, I know I have some digestive work to do. My question though is for my son. He has started to develop eczema over the past few months and I think it is likely related to my own digestive health and the antibiotics I was given (he is breastfed). I am looking for every possible answer to help him and believe that probiotics may be a part of the puzzle for him. Would this probiotic be suitable for a 1 1/2 year old? If so, in what dosage? I can’t seem to determine who makes this product or I would contact them directly. Advice greatly appreciated.

Rebecca April 13, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Hello Lydia,
I have been using Bio-Kult for over a year, do you think I should start using Prescript Assist at the suggested dose? Or should I start with just 1/2 a capsule and work up.

lydia April 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I would start with 1/2 and work up. Remember BioKult is only a very minor percentage soil based.

Lydia K. April 13, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Was able to locate the company and contacted them regarding my question of giving the product to a young child — funny how much simpler things seem in the daytime. :)

I did have one other question though: Do you usually recommend taking this probiotic alone or in conjunction with another type of probiotic?

lydia April 14, 2013 at 8:02 am

Lydia,

Yes, any person at any age can take probiotics -they promote life and health. They are safe for anyone to take -it’s a matter of how much and how to ease in to taking them to avoid any discomfort while your body adjusts to taking them.
I think a full spectrum approach is optimal, especially for anyone with deeper health issues or that has been on antibiotics. So, taking this one (soil based) alongside a transient in nature probiotic would be a good idea (unless you have SIBO in that case you would need to avoid D-lactate). Examples of good transient probiotics are: BioDoph 7 Plus, or VSL #3, or any from Custom Probiotics.

Ann April 27, 2013 at 10:36 am

I always thought homemade kefir (from raw milk) contained some beneficial bacteria that remained in the gut, rather than passing through like yogurt. Is my info wrong?

lydia April 27, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Hi Ann, So different strains of bacteria have different functions and some stay and some leave the body with the stool. Milk kefir has a ton of wonderful strains of bacteria, and they all have different jobs, but they are mostly transient in nature. Some hang out, but not as much as we may think. Milk kefir is still a powerful healing food – you’ll just need to drink it frequently to keep up the probiotic benefits within the body. One of the strains of bacteria that I know of in particular is Lactobaccillus casei, and this strain actually survives varying pHs in the body, so they can survive stomach acid and will work their way into the small intestine and can settle in to the intestines. Soil based organisms have the sole purpose of staying put. So you are not wrong – some of it does hang out, just not all of it or even most of it. Hope that helps!

Ann April 28, 2013 at 2:11 pm

That helps a lot, Lydia, thank you!

Debra E May 1, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Lydia, you mentioned in the comments that a full spectrum approach is good and recommend taking a soil based along side a transient in nature probiotic. What dosages would you do to do this? Start with both at the same time or get your body used to just one and then slowly add the other? Thanks
!

lydia May 1, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Start with one and get used to it first. Then add another. As for dosage, everyone will be different. I recommend getting in as therapeutic dose as you can tolerate for a time. The Prescript Assist -I’d go with 2 pills a day for a few months, then back down and just take 1-2 per week ongoing.

Kat May 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Hi, I’ve just started on Prescript Assist. I was taking 2 a day for the first week or so and noticed my bloating and wind got even worse (I was taking it because of these problems). I’ve backed off to one a day and now just have my “normal” (i.e. higher than average) issues. Can you sometimes have a bad reaction at first to probiotics but then these resolve in a month or so? I’ve tried many probiotics in the past and none have helped the bloating/wind. This is the first one to actually have an effect at all, even if it is not the effect I wanted. Thanks.

lydia May 5, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Kat,

Did you start with 2 right off the bat? I usually recommend starting with 1/2 capsule for 3-4 days or so, then up to 1 -sometimes even less than half so you don’t have an uncomfortable ‘die off’ reaction. That is likely what is going on. I’d back down to 1 and get adjusted for a bit before going to 2. And yes, it should resolve itself. Hang in there! Hope that helps….

Kat May 5, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Thanks for your quick and reassuring response Lydia! I will keep going for another few weeks on 1 per day and then try upping it to 2 for a month.

Marius@Probiotic Kefir Grains May 10, 2013 at 12:52 am

Regarding your steatement regarding the round of antibiotics and intestinal flore, one thing I don’t quite agree in what you are saying that you DO NOT wait to finish the round, screw up your flora, and then try to help it recover, BUT every antibiotic pill goes downwith a shot of probiotic drink.
Our grandparents in Europe’s countryside used to do that 5o years ago, and noe of the people I know have a gut problem.
Having lived now for nearly 20 years in a health-ignorant country for the last 20 years, I know sooo many people that wrecked their gut durng childhood with antibiotics, simply because their parents weren’t aware of such a basic and simple antidote, or counter-measure.

Emeka May 13, 2013 at 12:29 am

I,ve tried lots of probitics for my bloating and acid reflux after infectected with H.Pylori. Prescript assist has help me a lot in recovering. My question is can I take 4 pills in a day because I notice that i need more probiotics in my gut. My gut is showing signs of healing

lydia June 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Emeka – you can take more if you feel your body needs it. I had a client use 4 per day for many months and muscle tested well for it. Then her body didn’t need any anymore. I’d try it and see how you do.

Debra E June 7, 2013 at 11:20 am

I’ve been doing Prescript Assist for a month while on the GAPS intro and have done great with it at 2 per day. I want to add in the Custom Probiotics 11 strain as well to get a well rounded approach. Should I keep up with 2 per day of the Prescript Assist while adding the other?

lydia June 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm

You absolutely can Debra!

Kat June 7, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I’m a bit worried. I was told by someone I know that you have to be very careful when you use fulvic acid (which is in this product). So I googled it and I’ve pasted below some info from just one of some of the websites that contain an important caution about fulvic acid.

——–
14. Are there any conditions that you know of which makes taking Supreme
Fulvic & Humic Complex inadvisable (Contraindications)?
Yes. Do not take the product/s Supreme Fulvic & Humic Complex at the exact same time you take any medications. In other-words, do not directly [combine] Supreme Fulvic & Humic Complex with any medication that you are taking. Keep in mind the fact that Fulvic (a humic fraction) is a potentiator, increasing the ability of the cells of the body to absorb any substances consumed along with the fulvic, thus making such substance more potent, which in turn may lead to over-medicating or over-dosing. It is our opinion that humic/fulvic products be consumed at least 1-hour BEFORE taking any medication (oral as well as injectable).

Also, do not mix our product (or any humic product) with any fluids that contain CHLORINE.
Mixing humic (and other natural organic substances originating from foods – including fruits, soy, green or black tea) with water that is CHLORINATED is known to create harmful compounds referred to and abbreviated as “MX” – which is representative of the term “unknown mutagen”, which are similar to trihalomethanes (“THM”s).

Julie @ Seeking The Old Paths June 17, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Lydia,

Do you know how this compares with the HSOs in Garden of Life’s Primal Defense?

Are the HSOs in that the same thing as the SBOs in Prescript-Assist, just called by different initials?

Catherine October 6, 2013 at 10:50 pm

When should prescript assist be taken? With meals or on empty stomach?

lydia December 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Either is fine – I do a little of both. But it’s usually recommended to take on an empty stomach….

Catherine December 19, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Thank you!

Stacy December 18, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Hi! I was just googling SBO’s and stumbled upon this posting. I have also stumbled upon some scary stuff. I have read that SBO’s are spore forming and can cause death. I had bought the prescript assist but now I am kind of afraid to use it. Is there a risk using this product? What types of things should I be watching for to know I need to quit taking it?