I have this strange obsession with braised cabbage. It’s comfort food to me! I could totally settle down to a big bowl of it and happily go to town on it. It’s strangely addicting I find, though I never over indulge might I suffer the consequences (you know what I mean)! The problem is, I hate waiting for it to take so long to cook in the oven and have to check it ..blah, blah, blah, so I often just steam it on the stove top. However, I finally got my act together and figured out I could make the braised cabbage more hands off in the crockpot. Light bulb moment! I know I sound like I’m whining and making a big stink about making braised cabbage in the oven, but once you braise it in the crockpot you’ll realize how much easier it is, I promise!
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped -optional
- 1/4 cup bacon fat, melted
- 1/4- 1/2 cup bone broth, wine or water
- smoked coarse sea salt or coarse celtic sea salt
- Caraway seeds -optional
- In a 6-8 quart crockpot add the melted bacon fat. Add the onion with the heat on high.
- Lop off the tough stem end of the cabbage and divide it into 12 wedges. Keep the core attached so the wedges stay intact after the long cooking time if you like it that way - I don't bother myself because it makes it easier to stir around in the crockpot.
- Layer the cabbage wedges into the crockpot.
- Pour the broth or wine over top. Add the salt and caraway if using.
- Cook the cabbage on high for 1 hour.
- Check it and stir the cabbage gently to move the top pieces below to cook through more fully. Top with more broth or fat if needed.
- Continue to cook on high for up to 4 hours. In my crockpot about 3 1/2-4 hours is perfect but it can go for up to 5 hours on high.
- Drizzle with aged balsamic vinegar if you like or even a drizzle of raw apple cider vinegar.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- At this point you can serve the cabbage or store it in the fridge for later. When you need to reheat it, just place it in baking dish in the oven at 425 and bake for 15 minutes until slightly browned.
The nice thing about making this dish in the crockpot is you can walk away from it or leave the house for a bit. I work from home so I can start this after my lunch and it will be ready by dinner time. While I have never tried this myself, you could try braising the cabbage on low for much longer, I would just add a bit more liquid to start so it doesn’t dry out while it’s cooking (if you are going to be outside of the home). The entire time I wrote this post I was salivating for some braised cabbage. Seriously, this stuff should replace popcorn at the movies!
Need a good crockpot? This 6 quart Crockpot is one of the brands that is known to be safe and lead free.
Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon? There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!
Lydia Joy Shatney is a certified Nutritional Therapist Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association. Additionally, she is the chapter leader for the Weston A. Price Foundation in Delaware County, Pa. (Find the group here on Facebook). Lydia is also a member of the Nourished Living Network. Lydia founded Divine Health From The Inside Out in March of 2010. You can find Lydia on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. Sign up for the Divine Health From The Inside Out newsletter! Pick up a copy of Lydia’s eBook; ‘Divine Dinners: Gluten-Free, Nourishing, Family-Friendly Meals’.
Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Lydia also offers 3 online course: Heal Your Gut, Get Healthy To Lose Weight and A Calm Mind. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!