Summer squash is one of those seasonal blessings, so long as you have a variety of creative ways to utilize it. Many summers ago I tried a shredded zucchini salad that I loved and often forget to use summer squash in a shaved or shredded form. That’s why I love this Shaved Summer Squash recipe and I think you will too. It’s SO ridiculously easy to whip up and so fun to eat too. Takes about 10 minutes of prep time total and goes great with some grilled chicken. With this recipe you get to have a gourmet restaurant quality salad in your very own home. Makes a great salad to bring to a party and impress all your friends -just double the recipe!
- 1- 2 lbs summer squash, mix of green and yellow
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 cups baby spinach or arugula (I recommend arugula)
- pecorino, I used sheep's milk pecorino
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pine nuts (or whatever nuts you like and have on hand, walnuts, almonds, even sunflower or pumpkin seeds would be great -I used pumpkin seeds in the photo)
- Trim the ends off the squash. Using a vegetable peeler, thinly slice the squash lengthwise into strips just until you get to the seeds,and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over squash. Let stand 5 minutes. Add the spinach or arugula.
- With the vegetable peeler shave some of the pecorino over the mixture and toss.
- Serve and garnish with the pine nuts or other nuts/seeds.
- This recipe makes 4 servings as a side dish and 2 as a main dish.
Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon? There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!
Lydia Joy Shatney is a certified Nutritional Therapist Practitioner through the Nutritional Therapy Association. Additionally, she is the chapter leader for the Weston A. Price Foundation in Delaware County, Pa. (Find the group here on Facebook). Lydia is also a member of the Nourished Living Network. Lydia founded Divine Health From The Inside Out in March of 2010. You can find Lydia on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. Sign up for the Divine Health From The Inside Out newsletter! Pick up a copy of Lydia’s eBook; ‘Divine Dinners: Gluten-Free, Nourishing, Family-Friendly Meals’.
Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Lydia also offers 3 online course: Heal Your Gut, Get Healthy To Lose Weight and A Calm Mind. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!