Summer squash is one of those seasonal blessings, so long as you have a variety of creative ways to utilize it. Many summers ago I tried a shredded zucchini salad that I loved and often forget to use summer squash in a shaved or shredded form. That’s why I love this Shaved Summer Squash recipe and I think you will too. It’s SO ridiculously easy to whip up and so fun to eat too. Takes about 10 minutes of prep time total and goes great with some grilled chicken. With this recipe you get to have a gourmet restaurant quality salad in your very own home. Makes a great salad to bring to a party and impress all your friends -just double the recipe!
- 1- 2 lbs summer squash, mix of green and yellow
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 cups baby spinach or arugula (I recommend arugula)
- pecorino, I used sheep's milk pecorino
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pine nuts (or whatever nuts you like and have on hand, walnuts, almonds, even sunflower or pumpkin seeds would be great -I used pumpkin seeds in the photo)
- Trim the ends off the squash. Using a vegetable peeler, thinly slice the squash lengthwise into strips just until you get to the seeds,and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over squash. Let stand 5 minutes. Add the spinach or arugula.
- With the vegetable peeler shave some of the pecorino over the mixture and toss.
- Serve and garnish with the pine nuts or other nuts/seeds.
- This recipe makes 4 servings as a side dish and 2 as a main dish.