Last year I spent some time working with my oldest son on recipes he loved that he could cook for our family. His first choice was ‘Sweet & Sour Chicken’. So, I spent some time working on a recipe that my family loved and I was happy with ingredient wise. I wanted a lot of sauce and the option for it to be completely sugar free. We tested this recipe at least 10 times before I got it just how we like it. I hope you will give it a try – it’s better than take out.
The prep involved isn’t too time consuming -this is about a 30 minute meal if you time it out all right. It helps to have a ‘sous chef’ around that can cut the veggies up while you make the sauce and start some rice if you like. This is a regular meal in our dinner rotation now. It’s a great meal to go ahead and double, so long as you have a big enough skillet/wok or chef’s pan. Put half in the freezer for a meal another time, you’ll be glad you did.
- Serves 4-6
- 1 1/2 pound of boneless and skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 2-3 cups pineapple chunks or tidbits
- 1/3 cup orange juice (optional)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup or 2 tablespoons tomato paste with broth added to make 1/3 cup
- 1-2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 2-3 cups cauliflower chopped
- 2-3 cups broccoli
- 2 cups peppers cut into 1-2 inch long strips
- 1/2-1 cup whole water chestnuts, sliced
- 2 cups small carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped or grated fresh ginger
- In a bowl, combine the chicken cubes with the egg white, 1/4 tsp salt, ginger and garlic powder.
- Stir to coat all pieces evenly and allow to sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- While you let the chicken sit, in a food processor add 2 cups pineapple tidbits, orange juice, vinegar, ketchup, and honey (if using), puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat until a drop of water immediately sizzles and starts to evaporate.
- Put in one tablespoon of coconut oil, allowing it to heat and swirl it in the pan to coat it. The pan must be very hot, so don’t let the oil smoke before you start adding ingredients.
- Add in the chicken and spread it out in a single layer.
- Let the chicken cook untouched for a full minute or until the bottoms start to brown.
- Flip the chicken over and allow the other side to brown for a full minute. The chicken will still be pink in the center and that is ok.
- Remove the chicken to a bowl or plate, leaving as much oil in the pan as you can.
- Add the remaining oil and swirl it around in the pan. Once the oil is heated thoroughly, add in the cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. Fry for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the pepper chunks, water chestnuts, and ginger and fry for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in the remaining 1 cup pineapple chunks and the sweet and sour sauce.
- When the sauce starts bubbling, add the chicken back in. Let everything simmer until the chicken cooks through.
- This may take 2-4 minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
- After 2 minutes, cut one of the larger pieces in half and look to see if there is any pink showing. If so, let it go another minute or two.
- Taste the sauce and adjust as needed.
- Serve over rice, if desired and generously apply the sauce when served. For a little extra ginger kick, add powdered ginger in with the rice when it starts cooking.
Affiliate links are used where appropriate, which allow me to earn a small commission on your sale. This does not affect your price at all and is a cost of doing business for the affiliate companies. The monies earned from those commissions are like a tip at a restaurant and help support the maintenance of the website and free content. Shop on Amazon? There’s a handy Amazon.com search box over in the right-hand side bar you can click through to shop on Amazon. You’ll get the very same prices, plus a portion of what you spend will support this site. Thank you!
Lydia offers specialized step by step counseling to transform your health. Personalized consultations to suit your specific needs are offered via phone or in person. Lydia offers a variety of packages offered to suit your individual needs. Lydia also offers 3 online course: Heal Your Gut, Get Healthy To Lose Weight and A Calm Mind. Contact Lydia today to get started as well as to learn more about what she has to offer you!