Why I Don’t Wear Deodorant And Neither Does Cameron Diaz

by lydia on April 24, 2014

Yep, you read that right! I don’t wear deodorant. In fact, I haven’t worn deodorant for at least a decade.  Cameron Diaz hasn’t worn deodorant in 20 years ! She is specifically against anti-perspirant and claims that using it ‘keeps all the stink in‘. Do you wear deodorant? Why or why not?

Why I Don't Wear Deodorant And Neither Does Cameron Diaz // divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com

What You Put On Your Skin Matters

The skin is the largest organ of our body.  It has 5 main functions; helps maintain body temperature, it provides a protective barrier, gives us ability to feel sensations,  helps us to eliminate toxins but also absorbs from the external environment and is how we absorb and vitamin D. Due to the skin’s ability to absorb toxins in our external environment and it being the largest organ it is critical to ensure what we are putting on our skin is not toxic.

Most skin care products on the market are quite toxic. Full of ingredients that are harmful to our bodies. Consider the majority of personal care products out there are equivalent to processed foods. They have no benefit to our skin and actually clog up our liver and lymph, creating just another body burden in which we must deal with. Many also have been suspected in leading to cancers and many are serious endocrine disruptors leading to further issues with hormone imbalances and liver toxicity -creating a vicious cycle.

Deodorant Is Toxic!

Most deodorants contain ingredients that are TOXIC to our bodies. Two of the worst ingredients commonly found in deodorants & anti-perspirants are; aluminum and parabens.

Aluminum actually clogs up our sweat glands. (Some even suggest it can contribute to breast cancer). The problem = sweat is a way our bodies detoxify and we don’t want to stop that natural process. Excessive use of something with aluminum in it can also build up in our bodies. Add that to the fact we can’t now sweat it out and that’s a big problem. Maybe that’s what Cameron meant by ‘it keeps the stink in‘.

Parabens are a toxic preservative, as well as endocrine disruptors. Let’s get real here: none of us can afford to have our endocrine system disrupted these days, not even a little bit. And this is only the tip of the iceberg, usually there are many more than just these two ingredients in commercial deodorant.

So what now?

Healthy Deodorant Alternatives

First of all, if you have serious B.O. going on it’s possible you’ve got some detoxifying work that needs to be done. Sweat should not smell really bad. We should have a natural ‘musky’ scent that is not overpowering or gross. That said, most of us have toxicity in our bodies and sweat is one way it gets out – so we all may stink from time to time. If it’s ALL the time – consider cleaning up your diet, you home environment and check out this list of 88 Recipes for Non-Toxic Personal Care Products.

In the meantime, here are some recipes you can make at home, as well as some non-toxic deodorants you can purchase online. You don’t have to ditch deodorant completely like Cameron and I did -just look for healthier alternatives.

I buy healthy deodorant for my two teenaged sons from Fiddlebumps.

DitchIt_ebookcover

Join our weekly newsletter and get our
Herbal Teas for Vibrant Health FREE!
10 Recipes to Support Energy &
Vitality for the Whole Family.

Debra E April 24, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Interesting note: I used to perform mammograms and we would ALWAYS ask the ladies to wipe off their deodorant before doing the mammogram because the aluminum in deodorant might cause artifacts on the film!

MamaCassi April 25, 2014 at 9:39 am

i’ve been using Lavilin for the last year and LOVE it. it only needs a once a week application. prior to that i was making my own w/ baking soda, starch, coconut and essential oils (i LIKE fragrance). but i prefer the non-smell of lavilin.

my husband uses it 1x a month- he’s been allergic to deodorant his entire life and never used it until i started using the lavilin.

when i’m not pregnant or breastfeeding, i find i need it less.

what do you think of Lavilin?

Susanne Runion April 25, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I stopped wearing deodorant several years ago. I have found that when you eat clean and healthy foods, you just don’t smell. If I need to, I just wash up in the bathroom, and I keep an extra shirt in the office just in case.

YARA RAMIREZ October 11, 2016 at 2:30 pm

I stopped wearing deodorant 3weeks ago and I was sweating like crazy the first week. Now it seems my body has detoxed and I am not smelly, nor sweating profusely. I think your diet really has alot to do with it.

lydia October 18, 2016 at 8:38 am

Yes – diet can have an impact for sure too!

Trish Carty April 25, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Hi Lydia,
Great information thanks for sharing this!
Trish

Veronica April 25, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I have been making my own homemade deodorant for over a year and I must say I will not go back. I am so glad you posted this and put Cameron Diaz in the title. If more people think it’s cool to go natural, the easier it will be for our kids to join the natural wave too! Thanks for posting!

Anna@Green Talk April 25, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Go to know about the deodorant you use for teenagers. Teen age boys really smell. We use Miessence which seems to work. I have tried so many!

Lauren April 25, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Never! So glad I don’t after reading this. I don’t sweat too too much, so I never even thought I needed it when I did wear it.

lydia April 29, 2014 at 11:07 am

I don’t sweat much either – I only seemed to when I was breastfeeding, so I would carry a small spray bottle with some lavender EO in it to help freshen up a bit! 😉

Chara @ Stitching Hearts Together April 25, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I have loved the transitions we’ve made in deodorant at our house. Often I don’t wear any, if I do wear it, it’s a healthy natural one or a home made one. My daughter (she’s 13) really needs it most of the time, we’ve been talking detox and she is completely on board with natural ones. :) Another family member wanted to buy her a new stick and she’d only pick ones that were natural. :)

lydia April 29, 2014 at 11:06 am

That’s great Chara – I finally got my boys on board with using a natural deodorant from Fiddlebumps, before that it was Tom’s of Maine.

ecokaren April 25, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I admit. I don’t wear deodorants either. Hate their chemicals and smell.

lydia April 29, 2014 at 11:05 am

I never found one I liked the smell of back when I did use it – I always tried to find the most natural unscented ones, never had much luck!

ashley April 26, 2014 at 8:05 am

I don’t wear deodorant either! If I need something to soothe my freshly shaven underarms, I simply rub on some coconut oil. So soothing!

lydia April 29, 2014 at 11:03 am

I’ve done that before too Ashley!

Kristine-Real Food Girl: Unmodified April 26, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I use coconut oil mixed with lavender and lemongrass. I also use a deodorant by Scratch Mommy.

I haven’t been deodorant free as long as Cameron Diaz, however. :)

Great post!

lydia April 29, 2014 at 11:03 am

That sounds like a nice blend Kristine – I love both lavender and lemongrass!

Jessica @ConveyAwareness May 1, 2014 at 1:16 am

I used to make my own but I now order from Tehacha-Bee in Tehachapi, CA. She makes an excellent deodorant stick.

lydia May 1, 2014 at 8:09 am

Sounds interesting Jessica, do you have a link for that deodorant by chance?

Jessica @ConveyAwareness May 1, 2014 at 1:20 am

Until we get a Berkey, we are buying bottled water, Arrowhead (a neutral pH), and recycling.

lydia May 1, 2014 at 8:09 am

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Erin May 2, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I’m 25 and have been deodorant-free for over a decade. I started boycotting it even before I knew about all the nasty chemicals that are in our ‘normal’ hygiene products. I found the scents of products aimed towards teenagers to be waaay too strong (and much too girly, for that matter), and I hated the smell of the generic brand that my mom would buy me. Plus, when I’d use it in the summer and my pits would sweat even just a little, it would get all slimy under there and stain my shirts with white powder- so I just stopped using it! It’s amazing how many ‘hygiene products’ people think they need! Shampoo, shaving cream, deodorant, body spray- it’s all expensive and SO UNNECESSARY! Thanks for the article!

lydia May 2, 2014 at 3:24 pm

You are so right on Erin!!

Raia May 2, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Nice post. 😉 Since going on the GAPS Diet I’ve notice my sweat only stinks when I eat too much dairy… Too bad I love it SO much! :)

Carrie May 4, 2014 at 11:20 pm

For some reason I just never had the need to wear deodorant, never had BO therefore never felt the need to use it “just in case.” And the few times in high school when I did decide to put it on, I swear I GOT BO that day. I always felt like it might be clogging some important smelly pores, not letting them breathe properly or something. Strange phenomenon for sure, but true! However now that I’m in my 40’s I’m finding my underarms are sweating tons, and though I don’t stink from it, it is an embarrassing sight to have wetness showing through a pastel color Tshirt ! So now I feel the need for an antiperspirant if I know it’s going to be a warm day and I have a top that will show that. How do I prevent that without the nastiness of commercial deodorants? I will look at these suggested products for sure!

lydia May 5, 2014 at 8:59 am

Carrie – Unfortunately in our 40’s we start to hit peri-menopause, it’s possible that’s why you are finding you are sweating more. Check out the products I shared – I would avoid anti-perspirants at all costs. Be sure to drink plenty of water, try adding lemon water and consider ways you can support your liver more!

Oh and I love tank tops with a looser layer over top – I don’t like T-shirts that cling to my arm pits for the very same reason as you 😉

Eleanore May 15, 2014 at 12:34 am

I haven’t used any “deodorant” for the past 30 years. I could wear the same shirt for an entire week if I wanted to, because there is no odor. Here is what I do: After my bath or shower I simply pat a little baking soda under my arms and leave it on for less than a minute before brushing it off. I guess that is long enough to change the PH of my underarms? Not sure why or how it works, but it does! Keep it simple.

Evan April 21, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Thanks for this, Eleanor! I’ve been using baking soda or a baking soda-corn starch mix for some time. It’s worked quite well but I still see stains on my shirts sometimes. Maybe because I haven’t been brushing it off!

Andi June 10, 2014 at 11:40 am

Thanks for the tips! I have a huge problem with this… I can’t wear antipersperants because I have a reaction to the aluminum, but I work out 10+ hours a week, so the stank is real.

Dawn August 19, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Are any of you ladies that are deodorant free residing in a really hot humid state as well as participating in endurance events?
I would like to know what you are using specifically.

I live in Houston.
Participate in triathlon lifestyle.
Mid 40s’
I sweat a bunch & get aromatic… As a working professional.. I could hide wet armpits with a suit jacket.. but ordor not so much.. so while I eat mostly organic & ketogenic( no headaches!) & do the no shampoo.. I still use commercial deodorants… Looking forward to replies!

Debra E August 25, 2014 at 9:41 am

I live in a humid state, Oklahoma, and I have used homemade deodorant successfully. Here is the recipe I used. When I first made it I was afraid it wasn’t going to work because my underarms stank. But then I mixed in more melaluca essential oil and that worked and didn’t have any more problems with it. I’ve used this recipe for several years.
6-8 tbsp. coconut oil (solid state)
1/4 c. baking soda
1/4 c. arrowroot powder
1/4 c. shea or cocoa butter (optional and I haven’t used it in my latest batches)
Melaluca essential oil (also called tea tree oil) Maybe about 10 drops or so. I’m sure you could also use other good smelling essential oils as well.

Combine baking soda & arrowroot powder. Work coconut oil in with the back of a spoon until it maintains a firm but pliable texture. Makes about 1 c.

lydia August 26, 2014 at 10:12 am

Thanks for sharing your recipe Debra! Looks good!

Erin August 19, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I use the lavender deodorant from Radiantly You. They also have an original with bentonite clay in it. You can see all ingredients right here: http://www.radiantlyyou.com/ErinRF

Thordis August 19, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I have used mineral salt for the last 20 years.

Connie August 19, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I use simple organic lemon or lime juice in a squeeze bottle, not too much. Works like a charm.

Heather August 19, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I started making my own deodorant about 6 months ago – coconut oil, arrowroot powder, and lavender. I used to use a couple of drops of tea tree oil, but I found it irritating after I just shaved. Sometimes I’ll add a bit of lemon EO to it. My daughter tends to really stink, though, and I don’t know what to do about it. She eats generally paleo, with some gluten free sweets now and then. I find that it’s worse when she eats sweets. Other than that though, I can’t seem to find something that works well for her.

Joe Benshetler August 19, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Check out some natural deodorants. I know a young woman who started an all natural deodorant and it is now on the shelves of WholeFoods on the East Coast and moving west.

PiperWai I think is what they call it.

Nwando August 20, 2014 at 3:52 am

This is a lovely idea, I’m all for being natural, but I have hyperhidrosis! If there was a natural remedy for it, all who suffer would use it.

smelly January 27, 2015 at 2:17 am

I do too! It’s horrible! I only wear black!

Diane September 4, 2014 at 12:11 am

I was told Lavilin is a great product for sensitive skin. No parabens or aluminum. Never tried it myself, but many people seem to recommend it.

jessika November 7, 2014 at 5:25 am

A good website to check into skin/body products ingredients and potential toxicity is http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com. After stumbling upon that site about 7 years ago, I’ve been making MAJOR changes in the products we use. I just stopped wearing deodorant a week ago, so I’m in the experimental phase. So far so good. I do have a back up stick of Tom’s of Maine aluminum free lavender somewhere around the house but I’m trying to see how natural goes for a bit.

No name December 16, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Debbie January 1, 2015 at 9:07 am

Hi,

I, too, had to quit using deodorant and anti-perspirants. Not for health reasons, but because I found myself buying stronger and stronger products. That alone made me think it just couldn’t be healthy. So, I ditched the stick and bought a deodorant stone from my lhs. I also increased my water intake and reduced the amount of processed foods and drinks in my diet. As another commenter stated, I, too, became menopausal and my body began to increase in smell and sweat, so I’m back on the stick, but only until this menopause has run its course.

One thing I am curious about is a product called Body Mint, an herbal supplement to eliminate BO while taking it. Has anyone heard of this and/or used it?

I’m always looking for a better way to handle this particular thing. Thanks for the article, it’s most interesting and enlightening.

Debbie in NW Florida (where it gets really hot most of the year)

Jebus Says January 3, 2015 at 4:39 am

Many years ago, I knew a man (early 30’s) who was fit, healthy and smart, but he was allergic to deodorant. He always stunk to high-hell.

Anecdotal evidence people give (eg “You won’t stink if you have a good diet”) is just that: pure anecdotal evidence. It’s not across-the-board accurate for everyone. Genes come into play here and it’s why we have deodorant in the first place… it’s because we stink without it.

Jebus Says January 3, 2015 at 4:40 am

ps. Don’t believe me? Visit Europe in the Summer. Ride a bus in Germany.

smelly January 27, 2015 at 2:14 am

I agree with jebus. I come from a 100% greek family, eat extremely healthy, and sweat excessively with horrible smelling old greek man b.o. I’m not over weight actually just the opposite. My mother and sister have the exact opposite problem. So I agree, everyone is definitely different. Especially us stinky greeks.

Smelly January 27, 2015 at 6:25 pm

I’m also a woman.

Lauren April 3, 2015 at 2:12 am

I’ve recently stopped using deodorant. My pits barely stink, even after dancing in a sweaty club. For the first couple days off deodorant, I sprayed lemon juice under my arms. It neutralizes the stink, and you can apply it liberally. It’s not good to constantly be putting lemon juice on your skin, but it works for emergencies. Other than that I don’t do anything. But I rarely eat dairy or meats, which can add to odor.

Think about this- does the area under your knee ever sweat profusely when it’s hot? Mine does. Does it ever stink? Mine doesn’t. So I figured armpit sweat couldn’t be much different, so I shouldn’t treat it different!

If you sweat a lot you could also carry baby wipes to wipe off the sweat.

mel May 9, 2015 at 9:43 am

I had horrible odor problems that conventional deodorants didn’t seem to address. I tried Toms of Maine because I wanted to avoid using aluminum. It didn’t really work that well. Then I found a product called Schmidt’s which comes in a jar and it worked amazingly, but within a few weeks it was making me itch like crazy. So I decided to take a few days off to let the itchy bumps heal, I was between jobs so I just staywd home and didn’t use any deodorant at all. That’s when I noticed the most amazing result – my pits no longer smell! At all! I mean, did I somehow magically change the pH balance? Were chemical-laden deodorants I was using before actually CAUSING the bad odors? I don’t know, and I never in a million years would have believed that no deodorant at all could be the best option. But it is!

Anonymous June 4, 2015 at 8:33 pm

I used antiperspirant/deodorants and I sweated a lot and still had BO most of the time. I switched to natural deodorants, but Toms of Maine didn’t work out for me as well as some others out there. Kiss my face has an sports deodorant that I like. If I use wipes, and switch deodorants at lunch, that gives me a rash. Definitely stick with only one product, and go hypoallergenic if you are using hygienic wipes. Before I used wipes and switched brands every day, the Kiss my face sport was working nicely for me. I definitely recommend it.

Julie S June 16, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I just dab dry baking soda under my arms…that’s it, no mixing, Nada.

I stopped using deodorant because I preferred not to put chemicals in my system and figured it was one less environment-damaging product in my life. I continue doing it because It Works! Way better than any commercial deodorant I have ever used, I no longer have BO.

Jillian August 5, 2015 at 6:12 am

Interesting post. I think Lavilin is considered one of the safer deodorants out there.

lydia August 7, 2015 at 7:56 am

Yes it is – but pricey 😉

Sarah December 4, 2015 at 9:04 am

I tried the homemade deodorant using baking soda, arrowroot, coconut oil & EO. My armpits got red & irritated. I tried again without EO, same problem. Anyone else have this problem? It works awesome. Even for my smelly 13 year old. It’s frustrating.

Jess Stovall April 21, 2016 at 1:33 am

Nice post lydia.

Janet (Divine Health Assistant) April 27, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Jess Stovall April 30, 2016 at 1:44 am

Nice post lydia, it’s very informative :)

Robert May 14, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Fiddlebumps link does not link to deodorant

football June 25, 2016 at 4:29 pm

A big thank you!

Keya June 29, 2016 at 11:19 am

Schmidts deo is wonderful and all natural. The sensitive line is nice for those who cant use baking soda as much like me

calimna July 23, 2016 at 5:09 am

I haven’t worn deodorant for at least a couple months now. I generally don’t smell as bad as I did at First but I still always have a slight bo smell, and armpit sweat. Was considering wearing it again, all I needed was to be reminded of the deodorant clumps it left everywhere and the fact that it clogs up your pores to re decide on no. …

Keith T October 30, 2016 at 12:50 pm

I stopped using deo’ several years ago due to minor skin irritation in my armpits. I can use solid stick deodorant if I’m expecting to get sweaty, but largely I don’t bother, I just shower first thing in the morning and after sweaty exercise such as the gym. No-one has ever commented and self-checks have never revealed any off odours. Wash regularly and it shouldn’t be an issue, unless you’re a teenager, I which case your hormones will be doing their best to lessen your attractiveness.