Smoothies are all the rage nowadays. Fixing up a smoothie for breakfast is an easy, yet healthy way to kick start your day. I love smoothies for so many reasons. One reason…. I can load them up with some powerful healing foods (and even sneak them into my kids). I love to Power-Up all of my smoothies to help support my energy and adrenal health. I’ve got a few key ingredients I use and today I’d like to share a new one.
……..It’s a secret ingredient that packs a powerful punch!
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Schisandra Berry Syrup <--my secret ingredient (see recipe below)
- 2 cups Strawberries or Mixed Berries
- Camu camu Powder
- 1½ cups of Homemade Yogurt, Coconut Yogurt or Coconut Milk
- 2-3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted (optional)
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Gelatin (cold soluble)
- Add all ingredients into your blender, minus the coconut oil. Blend on high until smooth, slowly drizzle in the coconut oil. Serve
- *Note: Use any leftovers to make popsicles.
- For the Schisandra Berry Syrup:
- cups cold water
- /2 cup schisandra berries or replace ½ cup with elderberries if you desire
- -2 organic cinnamon sticks
- ¾ to 1 cup raw local honey
- ounces brandy (optional)
- Combine herbs with cold water in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow herbs to simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and mash the berries in the liquid mixture. Strain the herbs through cheesecloth and squeeze out the juice. Measure the liquid and add an equal amount of honey. Gently heat the honey and juice for a few minutes until well combined. Do not boil! Stir in brandy and bottle in sterilized glass. Label and keep refrigerated for up to 6 months.
I love how versatile the schisandra berry syrup is -check out all the ways you can use it! If you are used to making elderberry syrup, it’s the same process. In case you do not have the ingredients to make the syrup -OR – you don’t want to use any added sweeteners, here’s an alternative: simply add schisandra berry tincture (homemade or store bought) and liquid vanilla stevia drops. The reason for the added sweetness is to counter the tartness of the vitamin C powder. You could also leave the powder out if you do not want to add in any sweetener at all.
Powered-Up Smoothie Health Benefits
- Berries – Low glycemic, loaded with anti-oxidants and vitamins
- Vitamin C – offers cellular protection and immune support. Provides adrenal support to produce more cortisone and epinephrine. The adrenals store the highest concentration of Vitamin C in the body. The more cortisol made in the body, the more vitamin C is used up. The more stress you live in, the more vitamin C your body needs. Read More: Vitamin C for Adrenals the single most essential anti-stress nutrient…Read More at divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com/2012/09/the-importance-of-vitamin-c-for-adrenal-health/ © Divine Health
- Schisandra Berries – Schisandra berries are known for their powerful energizing effect. In fact, traditionally, Siberian hunters used them as a staple food taken on journeys to relieve fatigue. Schisandra berries are also known for their support in those with asthma. Great for insomnia, anxiety, bad dreams, as a liver antioxidant, supportive to the kidneys, anyone with chronic fatigue syndrome. Studies have found the berries help to normalize blood pressure. They are also a great endocrine support. Read More: Schisandra Berries and try my Schisandra Five-Flavor Tea sometime!
- Gelatin – provides glucosamine to help deal with inflammation and soothe the gut lining. Read More: 10 Health Benefits of Gelatin My favorite gelatin hands down is Vital Proteins.
- Coconut Oil– healthy fats are imperative to overall health, they help us to assimilate our nutrients and line all our cells. If we want to have healthy gut cells we must eat ample good fats. Coconut oil in particular is great for boosting energy, helping with metabolism and so much more! Read more: The Benefits of Coconut Oil I get my Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions.
I’m always looking for ways to support my body so I can have clean energy and smooth digestion. This smoothie is one of my favorite go-to’s. It makes me feel totally energized, satiated and powered-up to get through my day!
How do you like to Power-Up Your Morning Smoothie?
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get our