More and more, people today are on a mission to heal their gut. We now know that the gut is the seat of our immunity, 80-90% of our immune system is in our gut. About 95% of our neurotransmitters are made in our gut. We also know how critical of a role our gut flora play in keeping us healthy. The problem is, collectively we do not have strong immune systems, mental clarity or health and most of us have been through a round or two (or 10) of antibiotics.
So here we are as an entire population of humans all with the same core problem; we don’t have fully healthy guts.
That’s where my mission comes in and it started more than 5 years ago when I first learned about the connection healing the gut had on our entire health well being. My first inspiration, Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride, followed by Nora Gedgaudas. These two pioneers in the ‘gut’ health field taught me everything my gut was telling me for some time.
Health begins in the gut!
Are you struggling with your health today as you read this? Do you have digestive complaints? Mood issues? Skin problems? Lackluster energy? Imbalanced hormones? Autoimmune diseases?
If so, you need to heal your gut. Heal your gut and you can heal your life! (Sounds too simple? It is and it isn’t…)
Here’s the deal – everyone alive today really needs to understand how their digestive system works. So just in case you haven’t learned this aspect of your own anatomy/physiology, let me clue you in a very precursory way.
Start by reading my post Digestion 101 and then move on to my post What Can Go Wrong In Digestion. I simply can’t stress enough how absolutely critical it is to understand your own physiology and how your body works. Believe me, it will impact the choices you make in the future immensely and it will also help you to better know how to unravel your own digestive woes.
Did you click on those two links and read them yet? Don’t move on just yet…..go read them. I’m serious, it’s important!
Okay, once you’ve read those two posts you can get ready for what’s next. The 5 R’s.
These are just the 5 main steps essentially that we need to tackle in order to heal the gut. The steps are not by any means easy or quick or even totally clear/concise like an exact step-by-step outline, but are useful in helping guide us and essentially give us a template/checklist to work from. You may find some of the steps I’ll mention are things you’ve already started to tackle, and some that you haven’t even considered. You also may have started on parts of step1, step 2 and step 3 but not yet dealt with all of step one fully. Don’t worry! It doesn’t have to be totally linear, but all the steps need to occur in order for the gut to stand a chance at fully healing.
Alright, are you ready for the steps?
Step 1- Remove
- Processed Foods, Nutrient-Poor Foods, Bad Oils/Fats
- Food Allergies or Intolerances
- Bad bugs – Candida, SIBO, Parasites
- Infections/ Viruses
- Environmental Toxins – Pesticides in our food, Chemicals in our homes, Fluoride/Chlorine/Chemicals/Bacteria in our Water, Cleaning Products and more…
- Heavy Metal Toxicity
Step 2 – Replace
- A Properly Prepared Nutrient Dense Diet – Whole Real Foods
- HCl – Hydrochloric Acid – Betaine Hydrochloride
- Digestive Enzymes/ Bicarbonate
- Bile Salts
Step 3 – Restore (or Reinoculate)
- Fiber/Resistant Starch – monitor response to added fiber
- Monitor levels of Sugars and Starches (some people will need to avoid sugars/starches for much longer than others will)
Step 4 – Repair
- Using Food first to heal, such as; bone broth, good fats, raw egg yolks, cabbage juice, fermented foods and so on…(such as taking on the GAPS dietary protocol)
- Provide nutrients that will help to heal the gut lining: Vitamins A and C, B5, B6, L-glutamine, gamma oryzanol, licorice, slippery elm, aloe, EFA’s, zinc
- Continue to Avoid Food Allergies/Sensitivities
Step 5 – Rebalance
- Stress Management/Adrenal Health
- Improved Sleep Habits
- Exercise and Movement
- Change of Attitude & Belief Systems
So now that you know the steps, what’s next?
Well, here are a few posts of mine that could help you out……
- Should You Be Supplementing with Hydrochloric Acid?
- Apple Cider Vinegar Tonic
- Are You Adequately Digesting Fats?
- Beets: A Healthy Bile Builder
- Are You Constipated? Tips To Keep Things Moving
- Enema 101
- The Benefits of Enemas: A Testimonial
- A GAPS (Gut & Pyschology/Physiology Syndrome) Introduction
- Are Grains Okay When Healing Your Gut?
- 5 Reasons You May Have Irregular Bowels
- 5 Tips To Prevent Holiday Heartburn & Indigestion
- Benefits of Bone Broth
- How Fermented Foods Help Digestion
- Fermented Foods: The Basics
- Fermented Foods: Easy Brine Veggie Recipes
- How To Make The Most Healthful Homemade Yogurt
- The #1 Thing You Should Do If You Want Good Digestion
(okay, I lied…..that was more than a few!)
Perhaps this has empowered you to look further into some aspects of gut health that you haven’t yet already. Awesome! I’m glad I can help.
Perhaps you are thinking, holy cow this is a long list of steps within the steps, how on earth am I going to do all of this to get my health back?
If you are feeling like you need some further direction and guidance, I can definitely help, simply reach out to me via email so we can talk about your individual health needs.
“I highly recommend services offered by Lydia from Divine Health. I first took her ecourse; Why your gut is making you Sick & What to do about it (now Heal Your Gut), it was just what I needed to start my healing journey. I then became a personal client of hers and have had amazing results.
For three years, I have had numerous digestive problems that were starting to take a toll on my health and well being. I had seen countless doctors and alternative health practitioners. Not one of them was able to give me a diagnosis or offer any treatment other than pharmaceuticals. I knew that nutrition was going to play a major role in my healing.
Lydia was able help me figure out the root cause of my symptoms, and then she customized a meal plan and supplement protocol. After about ten days I had significant improvement in my overall health. I have been following Lydia’s recommendations for about four months now and have never felt better. I am forever grateful for her knowledge and support!” ~Dori, Colorado
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get our