Can you believe 2014 is winding down to a close? Where on earth did the past 363 days go? In reflection of this past year, I’ve realized a few things about health that everyone seems to want or need to know. So with the New Year just on the horizon, I thought I’d share my top 10 recommended health books to get you started on the right foot in 2015.
Here are 9 general categories of health anyone can focus on to support and improve their health:
- Essential Oils
- Detoxification Therapy
- Healthy Food
- Recipes/Ideas for Utilizing Your Garden or CSA Veggies
- Gut Health
- Healthy Life Practices – Such as Earthing
- Dealing with exposure to EMFs
Of course there are always more areas, but at this time these 9 seem to be the ones I keep running in to with my clients. With these categories in mind, here are my top 9 picks for health books.
(P.S. If you decide to pick up any of these books through Amazon, I will earn a small commission with no additional cost to you. )
Farm Fresh and Fast
- Farm Fresh and Fast is loaded with easy recipes and tips on how to use fresh produce. I love this cookbook because it’s got so much more than just recipes. I work with many clients who need inspiration on how to work with far more veggies than most are used to. This book is a companion to the popular ‘From Asparagus To Zucchini’ created by CSA members and market shoppers. I highly recommend this book if you need to learn how to use up your CSA veggies or consume more veggies in general.
The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook
- The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook This cookbook would make a great gift for friends/family wanting to start to eat real food that is gluten-free – also with dairy-free, soy-free and egg free dishes. It has some pseudo grains and lots of variety and vegetable dishes. The beginning of the book has a lot of great information about healthy eating and diet.I felt it was well written – I haven’t made too many of the recipes yet, but from what I can tell they look great and there are so many that I’ll be able to work with. It’s under $20 – pretty thick, has numerous gorgeous photos and got a 5 star review. It does have ferments in it that are not anaerobic – BUT I still think it’s worth getting so people are even introduced to the concept.
I also liked it because it teaches the how to cook part -the how to get started in the kitchen, cooking methods etc…..a great book for a newbie or young person just starting out or someone not at all familiar with real food and cooking! It’s even great for those of us who’ve been at this real food thing for some time but need some new inspiration and recipes!
Aromatherapy An A-Z
- Aromatherapy An A-Z – Is my go-to book when I want to know how to use aromatherapy for specific issues. It is quite comprehensive – have an ailment, look it up and find a way to support your body. Not just essential oils are covered, however you’ll get a basic primer on their use as well as which are safe for whom and when along with a handful of basic every day type recipes. Every health conscious momma will want to have this book in her back pocket!
- Sauna Therapy For Detoxification and Healing – is a book I recommend to all of my hair tissue mineral analysis clients, because saunas are an effective way to support, heal and detoxify the body. This book, by Dr. Wilson, goes well beyond just the why and how of sauna use. Learn about removing toxic metals, something everyone today has stored deep in their body’s tissues and organs hampering their health. A great addition to your health library for the New Year to get you motivated to support your body even more deeply than ever before.
- Missing Microbes – How The Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues – is a profound look at what is happening to our culture today. I don’t know about you but growing up I was put on antibiotics at least a dozen times. I have clients who tell me they are on them 2,3 and 4 times a year. YIKES! After years of teaching a course on gut health, I’m shouting this message from the rooftops – we must get an understanding of how antibiotic overuse is ruining our health.
- Earthing- The Most Important Health Discovery Ever – Modern day people are so disconnected from nature and it’s quite disheartening. The truth is, our health thrives from being connected to the earth – it’s just as key to put our feet on the earth as it is to breath fresh air and bask in the sun. If you want amazing health benefits with little effort on your part – read this book then get your feet in the grass!
Essential Oils pocket reference
- Essential Oils Pocket Reference – this handy tool is a must have if you are serious about utilizing the healing benefits of essential oils in your home. I use essential oils every single day in some form or fashion, they are like a hidden super power I wish I had always known about. Good news is, if you are really interested in getting started with oils – I’ll send you a copy of this guide for FREE when you get a Young Living Starter kit.
Adaptogens in Medical Herbalism
- Adaptogens in Medical Herbalism – this is a hefty resource for those serious about their health and about herbs. I adore adaptogens, they’ve improved my life immensely and I’ve shared quite a bit about them here on the blog in the past. I also teach my clients how to use them a bit and find which are right for them. If you like meaty material and are willing to dig in and do some heavy duty reading, this book won’t disappoint you. I refer to my copy again and again.
- Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn’t Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution – (Holy smokes that is a long title) Ann Louise Gittleman has done it again, she’s gone and written yet another concise and useful book that everyone alive today needs to read. We simply do not realize just how much modern day technology can negatively affect our health. Sure, it has a huge benefit to our lives in that it is profoundly convenient – but it’s a good idea to know how to proactively protect yourself from the pollution involved from every day electronic device usage.
What Health Books are on your current reading list? Share in the comments below……..
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get