Summer just isn’t summer without frozen treats! The good news is, you can avoid the junk frozen treats and popsicles in the stores and make your own quite easily. Not only can you make them easily, but you make them quite nourishing and even gut-friendly.
As promised, I’m here to share one of my recipes with you for a gut healthy popsicle that everyone will love.
Herbal Mineral-Rich Lemonade Popsicles
This recipe has so much going for it – I created it as a way to cool off in the summer but also to get a hit of nutrition as well. First off, the lemonade base is made with a broad spectrum tonic herb called Oatstraw.
A nice mineral rich mild tasting herb to add to your pantry – if you’ve never heard of it, read more about it here.
I also wanted it to have reduced sugar and chose to use maple syrup to give it a hit of minerals. Finally, I added the cold soluble gelatin for a hit of protein and some ‘gut spackle‘.
- ½ cup oatstraw
- 3 cups boiling water
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2-3 scoops cold soluble gelatin (optional)
- Place ½ cup oatstraw in a 1-quart mason jar and pour 3 cups boiling water over and let steep at least 30 minutes (1-2 hours would be better).
- Once fully steeped, strain.
- Rinse out the jar, then add the strained liquid back into your mason jar.
- Add ¼ cup maple syrup and stir to dissolve.
- Then add ½ cup lemon juice.
- Place in fridge to cool.
- To make into popsicles - add 2-3 scoops cold soluble gelatin to the jar and blend well with an immersion blender.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze (about 3 cups of this lemonade fit into my molds, leaving a cup left to just sip on).
I hope you will try this recipe and consider adding Oatstraw as a tonic herb to your life. It is very balancing!
*Disclaimer: This blog post contains Amazon affiliate links and should you purchase through them will not affect your price and all proceeds go towards the cost of maintaining this website. Thank you!
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get our