In today’s episode, Jessica and I are joined by a very special guest. Lori Roop is a certified clinical herbalist and nutritionist and a mold illness survivor. Lori has an amazing story of survival and is here to talk about this important health problem that may be affecting more people than we realize.
Mold illness happens after exposure to the interior environment of a Water-Damaged Building (WDB). There are many ways buildings become home to a toxic mix of microbes, and harmful chemicals, and in some cases, you may never even know you were exposed.
Many patients suffering from mold illness “don’t look that bad” or “don’t look sick.” But those people are struggling with an illness that causes them to lose their quality of life, whether it be slowly or rapidly. They are often left searching for answers after doctors send them away saying there is nothing wrong with them or that they “just have allergies” or chronic fatigue syndrome.
Little do most people know that mold illness is serious and severe, yet it CAN be treated and most people are able to get back to their life after proper treatment. After nearly losing her life to mold illness, Lori has made it her mission to help spread the world about mold illness, also called CIRS – Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome. She is still in recovery, but now has enough energy to run her practice part-time and help others suffering from mold illness.
We are so honored to have her with us today to help spread the word about mold illness and help people regain their health and vitality.
Missed previous episodes? You can find them all here.
Like the show? Please leave us a review. This helps us reach more people with our message of health and wellness. Leaving a review is SUPER simple and only takes a minute or two.
Links From This Week’s Episode:
- Lori Roop’s Website
- Surviving Mold Website
- Toxic Mold Support Australia Website
- Surviving Remediation Website
- Heal Your Body Website
- Physicians Certified in the Shoemaker Protocol
- Online VCS Screening Test
- The Genetics of Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome from Biotoxins
- Health Assessment with Lydia
- Hair Analysis with Lydia
- Information about HTMA and Minerals
- How to Create a Game Plan to Keep Your Whole Family Healthy
Listen to The Vibrant Health Podcast :: Episode 30
You can also listen on iTunes here or Stitcher here. If you like this podcast, please leave us a review on iTunes or Stitcher. Your reviews help us reach more people!
Download The Vibrant Health Podcast :: Episode 30
Read The Vibrant Health Podcast Show Notes :: Episode 30
Mold Illness 101 Show Notes
Make sure you check out the Links from the Episode for lots more information on today’s topic.
1. Lori’s personal story with mold illness
- How years of a lack of diagnosis nearly ruined her and her family’s lives, including two years of being bedridden and unable to take care of herself or her family.
- How Lori struggled to find a doctor who could tell her what was really causing her mysterious health problems.
- Lori saw over 60 practitioners in 6 years and no one could tell her what was going on or treat her successfully.
- How she is now on the road to recovery?
2. What is mold illness?
- What are the main symptoms of mold illness?
- What is the proper definition of CIRS – Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome?
- Lori’s background with Dr. Richie Shoemaker, as well as influence from herbal medicine and nutrition.
3. What causes mold illness?
- Water Damaged Buildings (WDB) and how that can happen. It’s more than just a leaky pipe.
- Common types of mold. It’s WAY more than just the black mold we’ve all heard about. And it goes beyond household mold as well.
- Just because you don’t see or smell mold doesn’t mean that you are safe.
4. Testing your home and work
- The best types of testing for hidden mold problems.
- Why use Mycometrics and explain HERSTMII and ERMI.
- Why not air sampling is not enough.
- How to translate the results if you do get testing done.
5. Who should be tested for CIRS?
- Common symptoms of mold illness.
- Anyone diagnosed with an illness with no cure.
- Anyone who has been doing everything “right” but is not getting well.
- Anyone with known exposure to water damaged buildings.
- Anyone with chronic Lyme.
6. How did you get sick? Why do only certain people become affected?
- The role of precipitating events in mold illness.
- The role of past exposure to water damaged buildings.
- The genetic component of mold illness (HLA-DR).
- Exposure to environmental toxins.
7. What do I do now? How to test yourself.
- Why you should always start with a Visual Contrast Sensitivity (VCS) test.
- Tips for taking the test effectively.
- False passes and fails.
- Why VCS is cannot be a diagnosis in and of itself.
- After VCS, it’s time to find a trained practitioner and get all of the recommended labs.
- A complete diagnosis from a Shoemaker-certified doc includes the VCS test, full panel of Shoemaker blood tests which includes the HLA-DR, past exposure and a clinical diagnosis from a knowledgeable doctor.
- This is a multi-system, multi-symptom illness that cannot be diagnosed from a single test, but when the full panel of tests is used together, it can only mean CIRS.
8. Common pitfalls for those diagnosed with CIRS.
- “I don’t see mold, so therefore, I’m OK.”
- People have other diagnoses that they believe are the reason for their health problems.
- People have forgotten what “normal” feels like.
- People cannot bring themselves to complete the first step on the Shoemaker protocol.
Subscribe to Divine Health
Join our weekly newsletter and get our